Re: [genpcfr] Ward's of Pitt County

  • JGrimes227@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2001
      This is for Rhonda:  I have information on a John Ward born 9 Oct 1858 and
      died 31 July 1929.  The info I have is at odds with what you have so there
      may be some mixup in the families.  I am pretty confident of the dates I have
      as I got them from his family to whom I am related.  My John Ward was married
      only once  and that was to Nella Grimes, on 10 Dec 1902.  She was born on 1
      Mar 1874 and died 7 Sep 1955.  They had three children:  John Ward born 1904
      , Eliz. Hanrahan Ward born 1907 and Nella Grimes Ward, born 1911.  I believe
      Elizabeth and Nella are still living in Raleigh, NC.  I am not sure from what
      County John Ward was from.  I have additional specifics should you be able to
      resolve the rather significant disparities in your John Ward and mine.  If
      your John Ward was from Pitt, around Grimesland and had any relationship with
      the Grimes family, then my guess would be that Demby/Dempsey was actually
      Dempsey, since this was a Grimes family name.  If there is any way I may be
      for further help, please don't hesitate to let me know.

      John B. Grimes
      jgrimes227@...
      Fairfax Station, VA 22039-2729

    • Robert L. Capps
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2001
        Hi John,

        Got a question for you? Have you ever in your research come across a
        Thamar (Tamar) Ward in your family line. She would have been born
        around 1757 and married supposedly John Clark of Bertie Co. Also have
        you ever seen the name MATTHEW WARD, on the tax list for 1779 of Martin
        Co. he was listed after that can't find him. Any help would be
        appreciated.

        Thanks,

        Marilyn

        Without documentation, I'm just a "name collector", not a "family
        historian".

        RESEARCHING: BEACH/BIGGS/CLARK/PAGE/PERRY/WYNN
      • sonskimp@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7, 2001
          Marilyn: I am sorry I can be of no help to you.
          I have been searchng fot my gr,grandfather,
          Samuel Tusten Simpson for over a year. There
          were hundreds of Samuel Simpsons but I have
          not been sbale to connect.
          John W.Simpson,M.D.
        • Robert L. Capps
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7, 2001
            Thank you very much John....Wish you luck in finding Samuel Tusten Simpson, if I run across anything, I'll let you
            know.

            Marilyn

            Without documentation, I'm just a "name collector", not a "family historian".

            RESEARCHING: BEACH/BIGGS/CLARK/PAGE/PERRY/WYNN
          • Rhonda W.
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13, 2001
              Mr. Grimes:

              I truly appreciate your help, although I think this is not the same
              John Ward. I have found further info: father Daniel Henry Ward md
              Mary Bennett, son John Daniel Ward b)1854 in Bethel, NC d)1929 in
              Washington, NC. Md 3-6-1884 1st to Florence Whitfield, dau. of Thomas
              & Mariah Whitfield of Bethel. John D. md 2nd to Mollie Hassell, dau.
              of Isaac H. & Sarah Hassell. Some of the children of John's son John
              Columbus Ward lived in Grimesland: Edgar Rollins md Maggie Virginia
              Beacham (killed in motorcycle accident 1935/6, Sarah Elizabeth d)1948
              md. Johnnie Boyd, Lester Lee (moved to Washington) d)1990 md Mary Sue
              Boyd, Marie md 1st to ? Arnold, 2nd to Tommy Fields. His dau. Lucy
              Bell md Jesse James Mayo, they lived in the Grimes Community, Bear
              Creek area between Grimesland and Chocowinity. I would really like to
              find where the earlier Ward's are buried, have had no luck. Do not
              know where Daniel Henry Ward came from...

              Always searching,

              Rhonda

              --- In genpcfr@y..., JGrimes227@a... wrote:
              > This is for Rhonda: I have information on a John Ward born 9 Oct
              1858 and
              > died 31 July 1929. The info I have is at odds with what you have
              so there
              > may be some mixup in the families. I am pretty confident of the
              dates I have
              > as I got them from his family to whom I am related. My John Ward
              was married
              > only once and that was to Nella Grimes, on 10 Dec 1902. She was
              born on 1
              > Mar 1874 and died 7 Sep 1955. They had three children: John Ward
              born 1904
              > , Eliz. Hanrahan Ward born 1907 and Nella Grimes Ward, born 1911.
              I believe
              > Elizabeth and Nella are still living in Raleigh, NC. I am not sure
              from what
              > County John Ward was from. I have additional specifics should you
              be able to
              > resolve the rather significant disparities in your John Ward and
              mine. If
              > your John Ward was from Pitt, around Grimesland and had any
              relationship with
              > the Grimes family, then my guess would be that Demby/Dempsey was
              actually
              > Dempsey, since this was a Grimes family name. If there is any way
              I may be
              > for further help, please don't hesitate to let me know.
              >
              > John B. Grimes
              > jgrimes227@a...
              > Fairfax Station, VA 22039-2729
            • Elizabeth Ross
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 14, 2001
                Rhonda,

                The names in the earlier generations (Bennett, Hassell, Whitfield) all sound
                like Martin County names. I know there were lots of Wards in Martin, and
                Bethel is close to the county line. I don't find your Daniel Henry Ward in
                Pitt. If you haven't already, you might want to look into the Martin Co.
                records.

                Wish I had an answer for you--good luck!
                Betsy Ross

                I truly appreciate your help, although I think this is not the same
                John Ward. I have found further info: father Daniel Henry Ward md
                Mary Bennett, son John Daniel Ward b)1854 in Bethel, NC d)1929 in
                Washington, NC. Md 3-6-1884 1st to Florence Whitfield, dau. of Thomas
                & Mariah Whitfield of Bethel. John D. md 2nd to Mollie Hassell, dau.
                of Isaac H. & Sarah Hassell. Some of the children of John's son John
                Columbus Ward lived in Grimesland: Edgar Rollins md Maggie Virginia
                Beacham (killed in motorcycle accident 1935/6, Sarah Elizabeth d)1948
                md. Johnnie Boyd, Lester Lee (moved to Washington) d)1990 md Mary Sue
                Boyd, Marie md 1st to ? Arnold, 2nd to Tommy Fields. His dau. Lucy
                Bell md Jesse James Mayo, they lived in the Grimes Community, Bear
                Creek area between Grimesland and Chocowinity. I would really like to
                find where the earlier Ward's are buried, have had no luck. Do not
                know where Daniel Henry Ward came from...

                Always searching,

                Rhonda

                --- In genpcfr@y..., JGrimes227@a... wrote:
                > This is for Rhonda: I have information on a John Ward born 9 Oct
                1858 and
                > died 31 July 1929. The info I have is at odds with what you have
                so there
                > may be some mixup in the families. I am pretty confident of the
                dates I have
                > as I got them from his family to whom I am related. My John Ward
                was married
                > only once and that was to Nella Grimes, on 10 Dec 1902. She was
                born on 1
                > Mar 1874 and died 7 Sep 1955. They had three children: John Ward
                born 1904
                > , Eliz. Hanrahan Ward born 1907 and Nella Grimes Ward, born 1911.
                I believe
                > Elizabeth and Nella are still living in Raleigh, NC. I am not sure
                from what
                > County John Ward was from. I have additional specifics should you
                be able to
                > resolve the rather significant disparities in your John Ward and
                mine. If
                > your John Ward was from Pitt, around Grimesland and had any
                relationship with
                > the Grimes family, then my guess would be that Demby/Dempsey was
                actually
                > Dempsey, since this was a Grimes family name. If there is any way
                I may be
                > for further help, please don't hesitate to let me know.
                >
                > John B. Grimes
                > jgrimes227@a...
                > Fairfax Station, VA 22039-2729

                Excellent genealogy resourses available at PITT COUNTY FAMILY RESEARCHERS