Genealogy DNA

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2001
      Hello Group:
      Gleaned from today's Kinston Free Press / Sunday, March 4, 2001 ...
      I wanted to be sure all of you saw this.... very interesting
      concept and as Spock would say, "Fascinating!"

      >History Hunters Close To New Technique
      >by The Associated Press

      >PROVO, Utah ----- Genealogical research has always meant days in dusty
      archives and searches through miles of microfiche and stacks of faded
      photographs.
      But soon, history hunters might be able to find out where they're from
      with a quick cheek swab and a few hours of gene testing.
      Scott Woodward, a microbiology professor at Brigham Young University, is
      directing a project that combines old-fashioned genealogy with the latest
      technology in the hope of making it easier to fill out family trees.
      "Each of us carries a history of who we are and how we're related to the
      whole world", Woodward said as he pored over blood samples in his busy
      campus laboratory. "We're trying to decode that history."
      The process begins with the prick of a needle. Volunteers from all over
      the country, each with a written genealogy that extends back at least to
      their great-great-grandparents, have given Woodward a few teaspoons of blood
      during the first year of the project.
      DNA from the blood is analyzed to create a map of about 250 simple
      genetic markers.
      In the future, a supercomputer will create a matrix of all those genes
      and the historical data from the donated family trees. Woodward says he'll
      then be able to focus on any spot in space and time -- say, Denmark in
      1886 -- to identify the genes residents carried.
      That means future genealogists, perhaps just five or 10 years from now,
      will be able to submit their own DNA and a query. Because all names are
      stripped off the blood samples and charts to protect privacy, it is
      impossible to track specific individuals. But a researcher could ask where
      his or her great-grandmother was from, and Woodward could answer: she was
      born in Denmark around 1886.
      That's an exciting proposition, said Ed Gaulin, president of the
      Manasota Genealogical Society in Bradenton, Fla., which helped organize a
      recent sampling trip by the BYU researchers to western Florida.
      "I've been at this genealogy thing since I was a kid and I've seen three
      major advances in genealogy," said Gaulin, who donated blood himself. "The
      photocopier was the first, the next was the computer, and the third one is
      DNA. That's where I put this. It's that important."
      "There have been people out there suggesting that DNA will be the
      guideline for pedigrees in the future," said Russ Henderson, spokesman for
      the National Geneagical Society. But he warned that genealogy buffs should
      remember that genetic material is just another clue in the search for their
      ancestors.
      At least 11,000 people have donated blood so far, a bit more than the
      initial one-year goal of 10,000, and Woodward hopes to collect another
      30,000 samples this year. He figures he needs 100,000 for a solid database,
      which he could have in three years.>

      [Note: A photo is shown with the article with this caption]
      >DNA samples line the shelves in a cold storage room (above) at Brigham
      Young University, where ethnic traces within the DNA are being analyzed to
      determine a person's geneological background by microbiology professor Scott
      Woodward.>
    • cander9267@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2001
        Just wanted to let the group know this team, Prof Woodward from BYU, will be
        in VA Beach 21 April for a seminar and blood collection etc, as far as I know
        there is no charge, I was able to attend one in the DC area in Nov fantastic
        program. For anyone thats interested email DrDCWood@... for more details
        on the event, time,place etc.

        Linda Anderson
        Anderson,Tripp, Smith, Landing,Edwards
        Savage, Slaughter and Sherrod
      • eyafydal@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 24, 2001
          Hello Everyone,

          I emailed Dr Wood at BYU and got an immediate response. Here are 2
          recommended sites to visit.

          http://molecular-genealogy.byu.edu/genealogy.htm">What is Molecular
          Genealogy</A>

          http://groups.hamptonroads.com/FamilyHistoryCenter/">Virginia Beach
          Stake Family History Center</A>

          I haven't read all the material as of yet. However it appears that we
          could have blood collected locally if we can get 200 people together
          that can trace back 4 generations.

          I evolved from many lines in and around Pitt County and presently
          live in Raleigh, NC.

          Is anyone else interested in this?

          Family ties: (Cox, Sugg, Rountree, Hancock, Skinner, Harrington...)

          Faye
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 24, 2001
            Hello Group...
            Faye is one of our newest members so look over her SURNAMES and
            see if you have a connection.

            Faye, I'm delighted you have an interest in Genealogy DNA. So do I!!!!
            I'll be glad to be one of the 200 needed.
            Thank you for your post and the information.

            Group... if you had difficulty in accessing Faye's below links... try
            these:

            Molecular Genealogy By Kimberly Powell (Note: One of our own valued
            members)
            http://genealogy.about.com/hobbies/genealogy/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=%2F
            library%2Fweekly%2Faa102400a.htm

            Y. Researchers Curious About Your Bloodlines
            http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0%2C1249%2C195006815%2C00.html

            Genealogy Goes High-Tech
            http://molecular-genealogy.byu.edu/AP.htm

            Molecular Genealogy at Brigham Young University
            http://molecular-genealogy.byu.edu/Everton.htm

            Virginia Beach Stake Family History Center
            http://groups.hamptonroads.com/FamilyHistoryCenter/

            What Is Molecular Genealogy?
            http://molecular-genealogy.byu.edu/genealogy.htm

            Jewelle

            jewelle@...
            Main SURNAMES:
            CANNON; COX; JACKSON; McLAWHORN (all sp); WINGATE; +++

            Visit PCFR's website:
            http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr

            > I emailed Dr Wood at BYU and got an immediate response. Here are 2
            > recommended sites to visit.
            >
            > http://molecular-genealogy.byu.edu/genealogy.htm">What is Molecular
            > Genealogy</A>
            >
            > http://groups.hamptonroads.com/FamilyHistoryCenter/">Virginia Beach
            > Stake Family History Center</A>
            >
            > I haven't read all the material as of yet. However it appears that we
            > could have blood collected locally if we can get 200 people together
            > that can trace back 4 generations.
            >
            > I evolved from many lines in and around Pitt County and presently
            > live in Raleigh, NC.
            >
            > Is anyone else interested in this?
            >
            > Family ties: (Cox, Sugg, Rountree, Hancock, Skinner, Harrington...)
            >
            > Faye

          • Robert L. Capps
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 24, 2001
              Hello everyone,

              I'm going next month to the LDS here in Virginia Beach. I've already got my registeration form. Go to the LDS
              website (I only have the one for VA Beach, VA) nearest you and e-mail them, they will tell you the dates, times and
              everything for early registeration. The fee is $10.00.

              Marilyn Page Capps

              Without documentation, I'm just a "name collector", not a "family historian".

              RESEARCHING: BEACH/BIGGS/CLARK/PAGE/PERRY/WYNN
            • James Stewart
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 24, 2001
                We'd be interested, too, as we are planning a Smith family reunion
                this October in New Bern and Vancerboro, NC. We are also visiting a
                daughter who lives in Chapel Hill at that time. We haven't looked at
                the criteria yet but if it's possible we will be happy to take part
                in the research.

                Best Regards
                Susan (Smith) Stewart

                > Faye is one of our newest members so look over her
                >SURNAMES and
                >see if you have a connection.
                >
                >Faye, I'm delighted you have an interest in Genealogy DNA. So do
                >I!!!!
                >I'll be glad to be one of the 200 needed.
                >Thank you for your post and the information.
                >
                >Group... if you had difficulty in accessing Faye's below links...
                >try
                >these:
                >
                >Molecular Genealogy By Kimberly Powell (Note: One of our own valued
                >members)
                >http://genealogy.about.com/hobbies/genealogy/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?s
                >ite=%2F
                >library%2Fweekly%2Faa102400a.htm
                >
                >Y. Researchers Curious About Your Bloodlines
                >http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0%2C1249%2C195006815%2C00.html
                >
                >Genealogy Goes High-Tech
                >http://molecular-genealogy.byu.edu/AP.htm
                >
                >Molecular Genealogy at Brigham Young University
                >http://molecular-genealogy.byu.edu/Everton.htm
                >
                >Virginia Beach Stake Family History Center
                >http://groups.hamptonroads.com/FamilyHistoryCenter/
                >
                >What Is Molecular Genealogy?
                >http://molecular-genealogy.byu.edu/genealogy.htm
                >

                >Jewelle
                >
                >jewelle@...
                >Main SURNAMES:
                >CANNON; COX; JACKSON; McLAWHORN (all sp); WINGATE; +++
                >
                >Visit PCFR's website:
                >http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr

              • Brenda Stocks
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 24, 2001
                  ] Re: Genealogy DNA

                  >Hello Faye,
                  I would be very interested in participating in the Genealogy DNA program.
                  My surnames are DAVIS, STOKES, TRIPP, ADAMS, HARDEE, STOCKS, JONES, HARPER,
                  AND BUCK.

                  Brenda Davis Stocks
                • eyafydal@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 24, 2001
                    If we get enough folks together...we could do this...i think it would
                    be so interesting...