FYI For our members with Scottish origins

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2001
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Alastair McIntyre" <alastair@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 1:15 PM
      Subject: Electric Scotland's February 2001 Monthly Newsletter

> [...]
      and
      > explaining the Scots. As the Scots Magazine said "A masterly summary of
      our
      > national story by an impeccable authority". And as Ken Reid, History Dept,
      > Moray House said "As an introduction to Scotland's story, from the remote
      > past to recent events, there is no contemporary publication of its kind to
      > match it". It thus fills in a gap in our histories and I now feel that I
      > have largely achieved my objectives of providing you with comprehensive
      > general historical information on Scotland and the Scots.
      >
      > You can read the book at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/scotland/index.htm
      >
      > I might just add that this is the same James Halliday that kindly recorded
      > the "Immortal Memory" for the Scots Independent Newspaper's "Burns Supper"
      > which if you haven't listened to yet can be found at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/si/features/burns/index.htm
      >

      > BURKE'S LANDED GENTRY
      > ---------------------
      > A passion for history - The Carrick-Buchanans of Drumpellier & Corsewall
      >
      > Changing fortunes are a significant feature of many of the historic
      families
      > listed in the new Scottish edition of Burke's Landed Gentry. Fascinating
      > and often colourful details, hidden away between names, hint at some of
      the
      > historic events - political, economic and social - that, over the
      centuries,
      > have shaped Scotland's growth and development and the unique profile of
      its
      > people.
      >
      > Angus Carrick-Buchanan is passionate about his family's history which he
      can
      > trace back to 1016 when Anselan O'Kyan, younger son of an Ulster prince,
      > fled his homeland following his part in an attack on Ireland's Danish
      > occupiers. In Scotland, O'Kyan's Irish surname evolved to Buchanan,
      thought
      > to be derived from the parish of that name on Loch Lomond.
      >
      > You can read the story of this family at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/burkes/carrick_buchanans.htm
      >

      > GENEALOGY
      > ---------
      > Did an update on our Scottish Roots page and also included a new link to
      the
      > Statistical Account of Scotland where you can now read some of the old
      > parish records. You can see this at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/scotroot.htm
      >
      > I would just add here that the Statistical Account of Scotland provides
      > fascinating reading. For example, one page I read was entitled, "Hints,
      > tending to prove, that the most celebrated Universities on the Continent,
      > and consequently the revival of learning, in modern Europe, originated
      from
      > the natives of Scotland" :-)
      >
      > Got in a grand wee story about a Brian MacQuarrie's search for his
      Hebridean
      > roots. You can see this at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/hebridean_connections.htm
      >
      > CLANS
      > -----
      > Lots more MacIntyre clan information and I thought you might enjoy a wee
      > story from this new section...
      >
      > The Fairy Dart of Glen Noe
      >
      > There may be something to the mystical nature of Glen Noe, Ben Cruachan
      and
      > Loch Etive. After all, wasn't this where Deirdre of the Sorrows and the
      > three sons of Uisnaich lived happily until, by a tragic ruse, they were
      > lured back to their death in their native Scotia? Wasn't this where the
      > "Stone of Destiny", the Lia Fail, was first brought to Scotland? Wasn't
      this
      > were the spirit first kept the MacIntyres from entering Glen Noe and then
      > led the white cow to where she should lie down? And then there was the
      Clach
      > Nodha. But there was yet another magical stone to grace Glen Noe.
      >
      > A man by the name of Dr. Stewart was directed to find an unnamed gentleman
      > in Oban who possessed a relic with an interesting story attached to it.
      When
      > Dr. Stewart saw it, the relic was in a small iron casket the size of a
      snuff
      > box with a carved lid. The box was opened by pressing a spring. Inside was
      > flint arrow lying on a bed of frayed and faded brown silk. It was creamy
      > grey in colour like Ballachulish stone but of the tangless variety with a
      > nosserated head. He carefully took it out. The base of the dart had a hole
      > in it with a small silver ring attached. Through the ring was a faded
      dirty
      > orange ribbon that must have been bright scarlet when it was new. The
      relic
      > was carefully replace, the lid closed and the owner commenced to tell this
      > story.
      >
      > About the year 1700, in the time of Ian Splagach (splay-footed John)
      second
      > Earl of Breadalbane, there lived at the head of Glenoe a Patrick MacIntyre
      > who was one of the Earl's foresters. One fine summer's day, Patrick's
      wife,
      > who was a MacGregor, was in a lonely corrie on the back of Ben Cruachan
      > milking her goats. Because her pails were full and the heat was
      oppressive,
      > she sat down to rest and fell asleep. After a considerable time, she was
      > awakened by something cold on her bosom. She was afraid that it might be a
      > poisonous serpent or dease (newt or elf) and started to plucked it away
      when
      > lo! it proved to be no living creature but a very splendid "saighead or
      > s├Čthiche" or Fairy Dart, the same one you have just examined.
      >
      > They were all superstitions then and many still are, although they would
      not
      > admit it. She had no doubt that the Fairy Dart was a gift to her from a
      > benevolent fairy and she was so convinced that she completely recovered
      from
      > an ailment that had troubled her for years. I should tell you that soon
      > after the Dart came into her possession she had sewn it up in a square red
      > cloth and suspended from a ribbon or string worn constantly around her
      neck
      > It was covered by her neckerchief or dress so that only members of her
      > family and a few intimate friends knew of it. It was however under the
      > following circumstances that the already widely known, "Dart of Glenoe"
      > reached its pinnacle of fame.
      >
      > One day while hunting in the forest, Lord Breadalbane took occasion to
      tell
      > MacIntyre that he was in a state of great anxiety about Lady Breadalbane's
      > health. She had for some time been out of sorts suffering from an
      insidious
      > disease which the doctors did not seem to understand. MacIntyre was of
      > course very sorry to hear of her ladyship's illness (she was the Earl's
      > second wife) and took leave to suggest that perhaps his very own wife
      might
      > be of some use because many years before she had suffered an illness with
      > similar symptoms. His lordship very readily arranged for an immediate
      visit
      > of the forester's wife to the ailing Countess at the Castle of Bealach
      > (Taymouth). What else she did, the tradition sayeth not, but it is certain
      > that she got the Countess to wear the Fairy Dart around her neck. In a few
      > weeks the Countess was fully recovered and much of the credit for her
      cure,
      > if not all, was attributed to the mysterious virtue of the Fairy Dart
      > talisman of Glenoe.
      >
      > Soon after this, the Countess left for London still wearing the Dart, the
      > virtue of which she fully believed. While in the south she took it to a
      > jeweller and had the silver ring attached to it with the scarlet ribbon.
      She
      > also had the casket specially made to keep it safe. In due time the
      Countess
      > sent the talisman back to its proper home in Glenoe with an accompanying
      > present to the forester's wife of a white faced dun cow of superior size
      and
      > excellence as a milker. As nearly as I can make out this was about 1710
      and
      > well down into the present century the white faced dun cows "Strainal a
      > mhairt on hair Phlar" were in high repute and brought the highest prices
      > whether for grazing or dairying purposes. The repute of the Fairy Dart
      > spread all over Breadalbane and was in constant demand. On such occasions
      as
      > it was used, it was always returned with some accompanying gift and it
      > became a very valuable possession to its owner. It was a grand-daughter to
      > the wife of Glenoe, an aged and childless widow, that on her deathbed
      > bequeathed the talisman and casket to my mother, who always looked on it
      > with respect and preserved it with care although the popular faith in its
      > efficacy had long been on the wane. Only twice, I think, was it called
      into
      > use whilst in my mother's possession and never since it came into mine.
      >
      > We don't know the present whereabouts of the fairy dart. Perhaps it has
      been
      > returned to the fairies?
      >
      > You can read the whole book of the MacIntyres at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/m/macintyre/
      >
      > And while on the subject of MacIntyres... Ranald McIntyre sent in a couple
      > of wee notes of interest on the MacIntyres which you can see at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/m/macinty2.html
      >
      > Added more information on the Clan MacComb which you can see at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/minibios/mc/maccomb.htm
      >
      > Added the Kavanagh family to the site which you can see at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/scotsirish/kavanagh.htm
      >
      > Added some information on The Name of Allardice which you can see at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/minibios/a/allardice.htm
      >
      > Added more information on the Clan Little which you can see at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/htol/little2.htm
      >
      > See below in the WEBBOARD section for details on the new clans webboard.
      >

      > HISTORY
      > -------
      > I have managed to put up a lot more history on the Highland Regiments and
      in
      > particular have completed the account of the Black Watch regiment up to
      > 1880. A few wee stories are also included about company mascots and here
      is
      > one for you to read now...
      >
      > "Donald" the Deer was with the depot which awaited the regiment when it
      went
      > into Edinburgh Castle in September 1836 after landing at Granton from
      Corfu.
      > He was a youth at the time, and not so formidable as to cause his antlers
      > be cut, which had to be done afterwards. He marched the three days to
      > Glasgow in June 1837. He was some what mischievous that year, sometimes
      > stopping the way when he chose to make his lair, or with the meddlers and
      > intruders on the Green when the regiment was out at exercise. But it was
      in
      > Dublin, in the summer of 1838, that Donald came out. Without any training,
      > he took his place at the head of the regiment alongside of the
      > sergeant-major. Whether marching to and from the Phoenix Park for
      exercise,
      > marching out in winter, or at guard mounting on the day the 42d furnished
      > the band and staff, Donald was never absent. He accompanied the regiment
      > all garrison field-days, went to feed until the time came for going home,
      > was often a mile from them, but always at his post when the time came.
      With
      > one exception, about the third-field day, the 79th were there for the
      first
      > time, and Donald trotted up to them when marching off. He somehow
      discovered
      > his mistake, and became uneasy and bumptious, and on reaching Island
      Bridge,
      > when the 79th had to turn off to Richmond Barracks, declined to accompany
      > his new friends any farther. Colonel Ferguson desired half a dozen men to
      > hand over their muskets to their comrades, and to drive Donald towards the
      > Royal Barracks. He went willingly, and happened to rejoin his own corps at
      > the Park gate, evidently delighted. He never committed a similar mistake.
      >
      > When the regiment had the duty, he invariably went with the guard to the
      > Castle; and whether going or coming, the crowd was always dense, although
      > daily occurrence, but Donald made his way, and kept it clear too, and the
      > roughs knew better than to attempt to annoy him. Indeed, he has been known
      > to single out an individual who did so, and give chase after him through
      the
      > crowd. There was never any concern about him, as he could well defend
      > himself. The Greys were in the Royal Barracks with the 42d, and permitted
      > Donald to make his bed, even by tossing down their litter, fed him with
      oats
      > daily, &c. But early in 1839 the Greys left, and the Bays' succeeded them.
      > It was very soon evident that Donald and the new comers did not understand
      > each other. The Bays would not allow him to make his bed, nor did they
      give
      > oats, and Donald declared war against all Bays, when and wherever they
      came
      > near him, till at last a Bay man could hardly venture to cross the Royal
      > square, without looking out that Donald was out of the way. It gave rise
      > a clever sketch made on the wall of the officers' room at the Bank guard
      of
      > the "Stag at Bay," where Donald was represented as having one of them up
      > against a wall. In May 1839, he made nine days' march to Limerick,
      although
      > very foot-sore and out of temper, and. woe to the ostlers in the
      hotel-yard
      > who interfered with him after a day's march. Donald had another failing,
      > which his countrymen are accused of which was a great liking for whisky or
      > sherry. He suffered after a debauch, and it was forbidden to indulge
      Donald
> [...]
      pip
      > went, he made his way to the mess-room windows, which were on the ground
      > floor, to look for sherry, until a high fine had to be made on any one who
      > gave it to him. Donald afterwards marched to Templemore, and finally to
      > Cork. He had by this time become so formidable in his temper, particularly
      > to strangers, that it was clear he could not be taken on board a ship to
      > Corfu, even if the captain of the troopship would permit it; and, to the
      > regret of all, it was decided that Donald must be transferred to
      strangers.
      > Colonel Johnstone arranged with Lord Bandon, who promised that Donald
      should
      > have the run of his fine park at Bandon Castle while he lived, and it was
      > Donald's own fault that it was not so. It was really an effecting sight to
      > see poor Donald thrown over and tied with ropes by those he loved so well,
      > and put into a cart to be carried off. His cries were pitiful, and he
      > actually shed tears, and so did some of his friends, for Donald was a
      > universal favourite. Thus the regiment parted with dear old Donald, and
      > nothing more was heard of him for many years.
      >
      > You can read more and indeed the whole history of the Black Watch at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/scotreg/bwatch
      >
      > A new account of the Gordon Highlanders can be read at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/scotreg/gordons/index.htm
      >
      > A new account of the The 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders can be read
      at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/scotreg/camerons/index.htm
      >
      > A new account of Loudon's Highlanders can be read at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/scotreg/louden.htm
      >
      > A new account of the Eighty-Ninth Highland Regiment can be read at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/scotreg/89th.htm
      >
      > I am now in the process of adding the book "In the Shadows of Cairngorm"
      > which will give you a better understanding of the living condition in
      > Scotland around the middle to end of the 19th century. Here is the
      preface
      > from the book...
      >
      > My reasons for writing this book were (1) my love for Abernethy, where the
      > best years of my life have been spent, where my children were born, and
      > where the dust of my dearest kindred lies; (2) my knowledge of the parish
      > and people, gathered during my own time, and from tradition, which, unless
      > preserved by me, might have perished; (3) my desire to leave some memorial
      > of my connection with the parish, and of my gratitude to the people for
      much
      > kindness shewn to me and mine during the thirty-six years of my ministry
      > amongst them. In pursuing my task I have received much aid and sympathy
      from
      > friends, which I desire gratefully to acknowledge. To the Countess Dowager
      > of Seafield I am especially indebted for the use of papers at Castle
      Grant,

      http://www.electricscotland.com/history/canada/adam_graeme.htm
      > and also Adam Brown to which much credit is due for the building of the
      > Wellington, Grey and Bruce Railway which you can read at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/canada/brown_adam.htm and finally
      > mini bio of Hon. Thomas Galt, Judge of the Court of Common Pleas in Canada
      > which you can read at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/canada/galt_thomas.htm
      >
      > My great thanks to Lu Hickey for not only finding the book on "Scots in
      the
      > American North West 1790 - 1917" but also for getting me the publishers
      > permission to post up a chapter of this book onto the site. You can read
      the
      > chapter on the Scoto-Indians at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/america/american_westbk.htm where
      > you'll find the link to the story under the picture of the book cover :-)
      >
      > Added an account of Jesse Chisholm, the man from whom the Chisholm Trail
      > derived its name. You can read this at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/america/jessie_chisholm.htm
      >

      > WEB BOARD
      > ---------
      > An important upgrade has been made to our Web Board system and for the
      first
      > time you can now access our conferences as if they were Usenet Newsgroups.
      > To gain access you must firstly be a member of the Web Board so you have
      an
      > account established. That done you simply need to create a new "news"
      > account in whatever program you are using for this. The news server name
      is
      > webboard.electricscotland.com and you need to tell it you need to login
      and
      > then in the appropriate screen add your Web Board login name and password.
      > You will then be able to select which conferences you wish to read and
      > that's you set up. If you wish to reply to any message remember you need
      > select "Reply to Group" for the message to be sent back to the webboard.
      You

      http://www.electricscotland.com/community/metaanne/index.htm

      > BOOK OF THE MONTH
      > -----------------
      > This month I had a decent chat with Bill Marshall at James Thin and
      together
      > we've picked an author that we think is outstanding and has several books
      > her name. That author is Christine Marion Fraser and the book we have
      chosen
      > to introduce her to you is entitled "Children of Rhanna" and it's set on
      the
      > Hebridean island of Rhanna.
      >
      > I got a copy of the book to read and have selected an extract from it
      which
      > I think gives you a good idea of what the book is like. Personally I think
      > you're going to enjoy it and you can see the extract I've selected at
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/books/bookof_themonth.htm
      >

      > RECIPE
      > ------
      > Clootie Dumpling
      > A cooking challenge for you this month.. but you're going to enjoy it :-)
      > Serves 8-10
      > Ingredients
      > 4 oz wholemeal flour
      > 6 oz fine brown breadcrumbs
      > 4 oz beef suet, finely chopped (butter may be substituted)
      > 1 teaspoon baking powder
      > 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
      > 1 teaspoon ground ginger
      > 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
      > 1 teaspoon ground cumin
      > 4 oz sultanas
      > 4 oz currants
      > 2 tablespoons black treacle
      > 2 eggs
      > 1 large cooking apple
      > Juice and zest of one lemon
      > Fresh orange juice to mix
      > A square of cotton or linen cloth, about 22 inches square,
      >
      > Directions
      > Boil the cloth for a few minutes and then spread it out on a table (use
      > tongs etc. to prevent burning yourself). quickly sprinkle with about a
      > tablespoonful of wholemeal flour and toss the flour to coat the main
      centre
      > of the cloth quite thickly. Stir the treacle into the eggs and then place
      > into a bowl with all the other ingredients and mix to a stiff consistency
      > with a little water. Place in the centre of the cloth. Bring up the edges
      > and tie with a string, leaving a little space for expansion due to the
      > inclusion of the baking powder. Hold the tied ends and pat the cloth into
      > round shape. Place the pudding into a pot of boiling water, which should
      > come halfway up the side. Cover and simmer gently for 4 hours.
      Occasionally
      > check and top up the water if necessary. Once the pudding is cooked
      plunge
      > it into cold water for about one minute to release it from the cloth.
      Remove
      > the pudding to a bowl and untie, cover with a plate and reverse it. Peel
      off
      > the cloth and place the pudding into a hot oven to dry off the skin.
      Serve

      http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/minibios/r/robertson_james_ann.htm

      > - Got an interesting tale from our webboard entitles "The Lochearnhead
      Tale"