Re: [genpcfr] Corie or Cory or Corey on Map?

  • Elizabeth Ross
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2001
      The deed in Db. N, p. 487, was written Apr. 17, 1792, at which point
      Benjamin Corey was deceased. Deed M, p. 684, was written Apr. 18, 1792. 1702
      seems a bit early for land grants in what later became Pitt County. There is
      no Benj. Corey on the 1762 or 1763 tax lists for Pitt, so the land grant
      must have been after 1763?

      These are the dates given by Judith Ellison in her deed abstracts, in which
      she referenced the names of owners of adjoining lands, but not place
      names--so I don't know exactly where the land was.

      1790 census:
      Corry, Joseph, 1,0,2,0,0
      Corry, Elizabeth, 0,1,1,1,0

      Betsy Ross

      ----Original Message Follows----
      From: "Patricia Mersereau" <pmersereau@...>

      I have an abstract from Book N., p. 487, North Carolina, Pitt County, in
      which Joseph Corie sold land "for fifty pounds of spice" that was "part of a
      tract granted unto Benjamin Corie by his Eccelby (sic)" to Samuel Simpson
      April 17, 1702, registered April 1705. The tract abutted land owned by
      William Hellen and Joseph Hardee.

      (snip)