Corie or Cory or Corey on Map?

  • Patricia Mersereau
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2001
      Hi Bill and others,

      I have an abstract from Book N., p. 487, North Carolina, Pitt County, in which Joseph Corie sold land "for fifty pounds of spice" that was "part of a tract granted unto Benjamin Corie by his Eccelby (sic)" to Samuel Simpson April 17, 1702, registered April 1705.   The tract abutted land owned by William Hellen and Joseph Hardee.

      In Book M, p. 684, there was a deed to Oliver Smith from Joseph Corey and Elizabeth Corey April 18, 1793, again referencing land owned by Benjamin Corey.  This land abutted that of Samuel Simpson.

      I've written the N. C. State Archives, and they have been unable to find the land grant.  I know that the Coreys have farmed in Pitt County for centuries.  Is there a map available that gives information on Corey (Corie, Cory) land?  Does your Civil War era map done by a researcher place their land?  Samuel Cory could be found in Haddock's District in 1850, Falkland in 1860, and Chicod in 1880 (and possibly Martin Co. in 1870.  I need to check the 1870 Martin Co. census to see if the names of wife and children agree).  If anyone has access to that census, I'd appreciate a look-up.

      Thanks,

      Patricia Mersereau
      Stone Mountain, GA
      pmersereau@...

      Researching:
      COREY, WORTHINGTON, LITTLE in Pitt Co.
      WIGGINS in Lenoir Co., WILLIAMS in Wake Co