Smith-Hardee

  • Elizabeth Ross
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 17, 2001
      Here�s what the deeds and census records show me about Charles and Mary
      (Smith) Smith (so far). I�ve made no effort to find the parents of Oliver
      Smith and Nancy Sheppard--they lived in the town of Greenville. Charles�s
      ancestry is pretty well documented by wills.

      Name: Charles Smith
      Father: David Smith Sr. (1733-1798)
      Mother: Jemima Hardee (-aft 1819)
      Spouse: Mary Smith
      Father: Oliver Smith (-1807)
      Mother: Nancy Sheppard (-ca 1818)
      Children:
      1 Elizabeth Smith, d. bef 1845; m. Samuel Elks II
      2 Winnifred Smith, d. bef 1842; m. William Mills Sr.
      3 Argent Smith, b. 1788, d. aft 1850; m. Jacob Elks
      4 Susannah (Susan) Smith, b. 1782, d. aft 1870; m. Simon Mills, Sr.
      (no children)
      5 Samuel Smith, b. 1783 ; m. Sarah _______
      6 Reuben Smith, d. bef 1842; m. ______ (had children)

      The info on the WFT disk concerning Col. John Hardee�s family is wildly
      incorrect. He had only one son, Isaac, who died a young man without heirs.
      There are no male Hardees among the Colonel�s descendants. He WAS the father
      of Jemima Hardee Smith, above, however. Do the WFT disks cite the sources
      and compilers of the information it sells? I noticed footnote numbers in the
      excerpt that Paula posted, but no notes to back them up.

      Betsy Ross

    • cheryl rhoden
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 24, 2010
        Jean,   I have not run into this line in my own research. But, I did note his middle name was Noble. There is a lot of info out on the net on the Noble/Nobles family from Pitt. They did seem to cross with the Moore family (my line). And, the naming tradition was to give a family name as a middle name. I just offer this up as an idea. best, Cheryl Rhoden