Sketches of Pitt County

  • pierce3369@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 12, 2001
      Lisa,
      "Sketches of Pitt County, 1704-1910", Henry T. King, 1911, is not indexed,
      so I'm sure I've missed references to your families. The last section is
      "Sketches of Prominent Pitt County Men and Women" and there are a couple of
      Cherrys. An abbreviation of those is below. If you need the complete text
      on each. let me know and I'll send it to you:
      1. Cherry, Mrs. Sallie Ann was born in Beaufort County...Jan -- 1829. Her
      father, -- Johnston, came from England....settled at Wade's Point, then Hyde
      County...a merchant lost at sea...Nov 1, 1853 married T. R. Cherry, a
      prominent businessman in Greenville...1889 she was left a widow...died 30 Dec
      1908 leaving three children (unnamed)... pp. 231-232
      2. Cherry, James Burton, son of William and -- Cherry, was born Jan,
      1840...father was a farmer..clerk of the County Court and Master in
      Equity...1861-1865...1864 elected clerk of the Superior Court...brother, J.
      J. Cherry...1868 took T. R. Cherry as a partner, the firm being T. R. Cherry
      and Company...married twice...first Pattie Sherrod a granddaughter of John
      Simpson...second Ada Pearce, daughter of B. C. Pearce...one child by first,
      Mrs. F. G. James...one by second, J. B. Cherry, Jr. ... died 13 Mar 1905.
      p. 252
      Additional references include:
      3. "In the Minutes of the County Committee of July 17th, 1775 is the
      following: 'Captain John Hardees Comp'y meat & Choose Different Officers as
      under mentioned in too Companys___Viz,
      Wm. Burney, Capt.
      Isaac Hardee, Lewtenant,
      Isaac Hardee, Ensign. (yes, two Isaac Hardees listed)
      Wm. Tillghman, Capt,
      Samuel Cherries, Lieutenant,
      Nathan Cannon, Ensign.' " p. 225
      4. "On June 2d, at Cold Harbor (1864), Sergeant R. R. Fleming and privates
      M. A. James, J. H. Cherry and -- Coggins were scouting in some woods...a
      company of Federals...demanded surrendeer...four Confederates marched their
      prey into the lines...Federals numbered sixty three... p. 150
      5. "In 1828 land was bought from John Cherry, about five miles southeast of
      Greenville, and a poor-house or County Home established." pp. 107-108
      6. "...New Bern, Mar 25 (1862)...Forty-fourth Regiment...W. L. Cherry, one
      of the Quartermasters...Companies C, W. L. Cherry, Captain... p. 127
      I hope there is something you can use. If anyone else would like me to
      look for their families, I'll be happy to.

      Sammy Anson Pierce
      Hobe Sound, FL
    • Nancy Pittman
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7, 2002
        PARTIAL LIST OF Table of Contents: Sketches of Pitt County

        (Chapter 1) Early Mention of the Tar and Pamlico River Country-Lawson in Pitt-The Tuscarora Indians-Indian Localities-King Blount

        (Chapter 2) Duvail Settles at Mount Calvert-King Blount Helped-"Black Bear," or Teach-Kin Blount Given Land in Bertie-Other Settlements Along the Tar River-George Mayo and the Indian-Edward Salter-Edgecombe-Tar-Precincts Made Counties...

        (Chapter 3)Edgecombe County-Tobacco Inspection-Military. Census-John Hardy-Hugh McAden, a Presbyterian Preacher- His Trip-Tells of his Meeting...

        (Chapter 4) Something About Early Settlers- Entering Land-Quit-rents. Building Regulations-Overseers and Slaves-Marking Stock-The Established Church. Wild Animals-Liquor Question-How People Lived-Court-houses...

        (Chapter 5) High Life - Education-Marriage-Domestic Life-Mail-Amusements and Pleasure-"High Betty Martin"-The Children...

        (Chapter 6) John Simpson-Petition to Divide Beaufort County-Pitt County Formed-Boundaries-Courthouse-Named for William Pitt-Alexander Stewart-Taxes-Jurors-Ministerial Jealousy-Line Between Pitt and Dobbs-Salter and Moye-Red Banks Ferry-Masonic Lodge-The Assembly...

        (Chapter 7) Court-William Moore Complained of Simpson-Simpson Censured and Reprimanded-Mail Rout-Regulator-March to Alamane-Pitt Company Under Captain Salter-Sheriff's Arrears-Martinborough...

        (Chapter 8) Official Corruption-Blue Laws-County Officers-The "John and Elizabeth" Schooner Affair-Few Taxes Paid-Militia Officers-Martinborough-Revolutionary Proceedings-Pitt Freeholders Issue a Declaration of Rights-Standing Committee Appointed,

        A LOT IN BETWEEN!!!!!

        (Chapter 37) Reddick Carney-Attempt to Capture-Federal Lieutenant Killed-Second Attempt to Capture-Majoy Lyman and Megro Militia-Two Negroes Killed-Both Carneys Die-Horrible Tragedy-Ku Klux-Negro Officer's- Specimens...

        (Chapter 38) Thing Improving-Convention of 1875-Delegates-Vance and Jarvis Elected-Jarvis Becomes Governor-Newspaper-Jarvis Elected Governor-Latham Elected to Congress--General Grimes Assassinated-A Lynching

        MORE IN BETWEEN!!!

        (Chapter 43) Laughinghouse Superintendent of Pemitentiary-Post-office Site-Training School Opened-Its History-Senator Fleming Dead-Big Fire-Court-house Burned-Records Saved-Greenville Post office Advanced to Second Class

        Last section of this book: Sketches of Prominent Men and Women of Pitt County as listed below.

        General Lawrence Davis Tyson
        Henry Sheppard, Sr.
        Dr. Robert Williams
        Edward Salter
        Major Benjamin May
        Colonel Robert Salter
        General James Armstrong
        William Blount
        Richard Evans
        Major George Evans
        General James Gorham
        General John Simpson
        Colonel John Hardee
        Reverend Samuel Brown
        Fordyce Cunningham Harding
        Charles O'hagan Laughinghouse
        Roy Chetwynd Flanagan
        Charles James O'Hagan
        Dr. Flbert Alfred Moye
        Mrs. Sallie Southall Cotten
        Mrs. Sallie Ann Cherry
        Colonel Edward Yellowly
        John Williams
        William Roberson
        Dr. Beriah Thaddeus Cox
        David Jordan Whichard
        Amos Graves Cox
        Henry Thomas King
        Larry I. Moore
        William Henry Rasdale
        Robert Jonh Cobb
        Allie (Vines) KIng
        Colonel William May King
        Dr. Robert Williams King
        Samuel Tilden White
        Thomas King
        Guilford Mortimer Mooring
        John King
        James Leonidas Fleming
        Olthus Leeland Joyner
        Henry Clarke
        William Blackledge
        Colonel Fernando Godfrey James
        Mabel Barnhill
        Majoy Henry Harding
        James Burton Cherry
        John Richard Smith
        Robert William Smith
        Alexander Lillington Blow
        John Bryan Grimes
        Willis Robert Williams
        Francis Marion Wooten
        Thomas Jordan Jarvis
        Reverend Josephus Latham
        Richard Warren King
        Colonel Harry Skinner
        Captin Joseph John Laughinghouse
        Major Louis Charles Latham
        David Columbus Moore
        Robert Lang Davis
        Robert Randolph Cotten

        Nancy L. Pittman
        Visit My Web Site at: http://www.pioneers-portals-and-paths.org/home.html

      • feonadorf@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 7, 2002
          Nancy,

          Thank you! Now I want a copy too.

          Lisa

        • Diane Whitehurst Collins
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 12, 2003
            For anyone interested, you can buy Sketches of Pitt County for $37 at Higginson Books:
            http://www.higginsonbooks.com

            Diane Whitehurst Collins

          • D. Cooper
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3 5:26 AM
              Someone has told me that all birth and death records are in Richmond for the all of Vir. and not located in the individual counties as in N.C. is this true. Don Cooper.
              For anyone interested, you can buy Sketches of Pitt County for $37 at Higginson Books:
              http://www.higginsonbooks.com

              Diane Whitehurst Collins

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 5 9:57 AM
                Dear "D" I do know that the records are in Richmond in
                the Library of Virginia, which has on-line access to
                its records. I've never checked county records except
                for wills and deeds. These are located in the
                courthouses in their respective locales. Here, as in
                North Carolina, we have a division of Vital Statistics
                where anyone can go to request birth, death, divorce,
                and marriage records. This year Vital Statistics
                relocated from the downtown area near the Governor's
                Mansion to the office complex at the Willow Lawn
                Shopping Center about a mile from my house. The
                advantage is no parking problems and ready access to
                city buses for those who have no car. Vital Statistics
                has records from throughout the state. When I needed a
                copy of my daughter's birth certificate for school, I
                had to go to Vital Statstics (which is State, not
                City) to obtain it, rather than to the John Marshall
                Court House, which houses all the land records and
                wills for Richmond City. So what I am thinking is than
                unlike North Carolina, no birth and death certificates
                are housed within localities but with the State
                itself. However, marriage and divorce records can be
                obtained from the courthouses within the locales
                because these involved civil actions. I can check
                further for you next week and get back to you. If you
                need anything from Richmond City, Hanover, Henrico, or
                Chesterfield counties, I am within easy reach of these
                (only a few miles) and will be happy to help you with
                look-ups. For the rest, since I live in the City of
                Richmond, I have easy access to any State archives.
                Virginia over the last decade with all the hoopla
                about privacy has restricted access to birth records
                but marriage, divorce, and death records are still
                relatively open. I believe that people can still
                obtain birth certificates for people who are deceased,
                but for minors I know that a person must be the parent
                or have written permission from the next-of-kin, be a
                guardian, or have a court order. Later, Carol
                --- "D. Cooper" <dlcooper@...> wrote:
                > Someone has told me that all birth and death records
                > are in Richmond for the all of Vir. and not located
                > in the individual counties as in N.C. is this true.
                > Don Cooper.

                Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
                http://companion.yahoo.com/
              • Diane Whitehurst Collins
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 7 12:32 PM
                  Don, This is from the State's site - genealogy section. Diane

                  The Archives Division, The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-1905, (804) 692-3500, has copies of surviving Virginia birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. These records are public information and are available on microfilm for use by the public. The Library of Virginia does not have copies of birth and death records from the Office of Vital Records for public use after 1896. There is no charge for viewing the microfilm of these records. Copies of the microfilm may be lent to other libraries from The Library of Virginia - Archives Division, Inter Library Loan Department. They lend the microfilm to libraries nationwide for 28 days with no renewals and there is a limit of 5 reels per patron which are sent at no charge.

                  For most areas of the State, records are available for the years 1853 to 1896. Any "Marriage Bonds" prior to 1853 that are still in existence would also be in the Virginia State Library and Archives, as would war records prior to and including the Civil War, deeds, wills and other court records. Events that occurred in the portion of Virginia that is now West Virginia are recorded in the Archives of the Division of Culture and History, Capitol Complex, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard East, Charleston, West Virginia 25305-0300. With the exception of the years 1896 to 1912, the Office of Vital Records has records of births, deaths, and marriages since 1853. Vital Records has divorce records on file from 1918 to the present. There are no records prior to 1853 and there was no law for the registration of births and deaths between 1896 and June 14, 1912.

                  The Virginia Office of Vital Records is not equipped to do genealogical research; any such research should be done in the Archives Division of The Library of Virginia as indicated above. Certified copies of records which are known to be on file by a review of the Archives Division microfilm may be obtained from the Office of Vital Records upon application and payment of the fee of $10.00 per copy. The fee of $10.00 is charged by the Office of Vital Records for a certified copy and/or search of the files whether or not a copy of the record is furnished. Applications for copies of records must include full names and dates and places (cities or counties) of the events. In the Office of Vital Records, marriage, divorce and death data becomes public information fifty (50) years from the date of the event and birth data becomes public information one hundred (100) years from the date of the event (Section 32.1-271 of the Code of Virginia). The Virginia Office of Vital Records is not
                  associated with any web site or addresses promoting genealogy.

                  Someone has told me that all birth and death records are in Richmond for the all of Vir. and not located in the individual counties as in N.C. is this true. Don Cooper.
                  For anyone interested, you can buy Sketches of Pitt County for $37 at Higginson Books:
                  http://www.higginsonbooks.com

                  Diane Whitehurst Collins

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In