Re: [genpcfr] Moses Tyson Penelope May

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2000
      The only Tyson in the 1850 Greene Co. census is Penny Tyson, I am assuming
      Penelope May Tyson. She was married to Moses Tyson, III. Does anyone have
      a list of the children of those two?

      Paula

      From: "Paula Baker" <paulabaker69@...>
      To: genpcfr@egroups.com
      Subject: [genpcfr] Tyson origins question
      Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:09:51 -0600

      Before the Tysons settled in Pitt and Greene Counties, was there another
      county in NC where they congregated? I only find one Tyson in the 1850
      Greene Co. census.

      Paula Anne Baker
      paulabaker69@...
      Greene County NC
      http://www.geocities.com/athens/troy/9883

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2001
        In Reedy Branch Cemetery in Greenville, NC, my ggrandmother Mary Lula Tyson
        Baker Beddard and her brother William Tyson are buried. Mary Lula was born
        about 1866 in Greene Co., NC. William was born abt. 1858-1859, not 1861 as
        his headstone reads. Beside them is Orpha Tyson, who I believe was an aunt.
        Anyway, through the name Orpha or Orpah/Orphine/Offey and other first
        names, and census info and geography, I am currently studying Moses Tyson
        and Penelope May. Penny Tyson is the only Tyson listed in the 1850 Greene
        County census. In 1860 Thomas Tyson is listed with a group of people, among
        them William Tyson. Moses who married Penny died in 1828. Penny in all
        likelihood inherited his land or whatever. Penny is living with a group of
        Moyes in Greene Co. in 1850. Perhaps she then died and Thomas Tyson, her
        heir, came to live in Greene Co. Do any of you know the children of Moses
        Tyson and Penelope May? I've been looking around at other counties to try
        to find out where Thomas Tyson and Rachel came from. They are not listed in
        the 1850 Greene Co. census. I find it a bit odd that there was only one
        Tyson in Greene Co. in 1850 because there were quite a few others before and
        after that in the censuses. I've been looking at the Greene Co. census
        that's online. I haven't studied it myself at the library. On one site on
        the internet, Moses Tyson's place of birth is listed as Pitt County.

        I started working on this tonight just because I saw in the Pitt Co.
        cemetery listing that Mr. Jackson did that an Orpha Tyson was buried in
        Reedy Branch near my ggrandmother Mary Lula Tyson Baker Beddard, who died in
        1937.