Ellison Deed Abstracts; Maps URL

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2000
      Hello Group,
               Several of you have requested the below information privately, so I'm posting same again to benefit our new members and those of you that missed it from previous posting.

               The Index & Abstracts of Pitt Co Deeds by Judith DuPree Ellison are available from Ms. Ellison's daughter:
                        Melissa Ellison Quesenberry
                        1315 Campo Sano
                        Coral Gables, Fla. 33146
                                 305-665-0903

      $45.00 for the 4 Volumes, including shipping. I believe they are still available.

      As far as Maps... Derick S. Hartshorn shows the county formation of North Carolina from 1700 thru 1912.
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nccatawb/nc1700.htm

      http
      ://www.rootsweb.com/~nccatawb/nc1740.htm

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nccatawb/nc1760.htm

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nccatawb/nc1775.htm

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nccatawb/nc1780.htm

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nccatawb/nc1800.htm

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nccatawb/nc1840.htm

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nccatawb/nc1850.htm

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nccatawb/nc1870.htm

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nccatawb/nc1900.htm

      http://www.rootsweb.com/~nccatawb/nc1912.htm

      In the genpcfr Files you will find a map of Pitt County made by Claire Hadley.
      http://www.egroups.com/files/genpcfr/Maps/PittCountyMap-ClairHadley

      If the link won't open it may mean you have not registered at eGroups, you may not be able to link to it. To register, go to:
      http://www.egroups.com/messages/genpcfr

      click on My Profile and fill out form. (In order to access all the features eGroups/Yahoo has to offer, one must register.)

      Back Click to Messages, click on Files found at your left, click on Maps.... that's it. If you have problems, notify me personally.

      Other Maps of interest: "Transportation & Settlement in N.C. 1660-1775"
      http://ncnatural.com/maps/pathsandtowns.jpg

      1779 Map of North Carolina
      http://ncnatural.com/maps/1779n4.jpg

      Everton's Map of N.C.
      http://www.everton.com/usa/NCmap.gif

      A brief history of  Pitt County, NC gleaned from the NC State official website:

      "Pitt was formed in 1760 from Beaufort. The act was to become effective January 1,1761. It was named in honor of William Pitt. It is in the eastern section of the State and is bounded by Beaufort, Craven, Lenoir, Greene, Wilson, Edgecombe and Martin counties. The present land area is 651.84 square miles and the 1990 population was 108,480. The act establishing the county authorized the courts to be held at the home of John Hardy until a courthouse could be built. It also directed the justices to contract for the construction of the courthouse, prison and stocks on John Hardy's land on the south side of Tar River, near the Chapel known as Hardy's Chapel. In 1771 Martinsboro was established on Richard Evans's land, and in 1774 the courthouse, prison and stocks were moved to Martinsboro. Court was held at the home of John Lessley until the new courthouse, prison and stocks were completed. In 1787 Martinsborough was changed to Greenville. Greenville is the county seat. "

                                                            Jewelle
      jewelle@...
      Main SURNAMES:
      BAKER; CANNON; COX; JACKSON;
      McGLOHORN etc; WINGATE

      Visit PITT COUNTY FAMILY RESEARCHERS website: