[genpcfr] Re: Pitt County Cemeteries

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 8, 1998
      At 08:29 PM 11/7/98 EST, you wrote:
      >Query:
      >
      > I am searching for a list(s) of cemeteries in Pitt County. Does anyone
      >know of such a list or lists.
      >
      >Jerry

      Welcome Jerry... so glad to have you aboard!!
      Bill Kitrell, PCFR Vice President, is compiling a book on cemeteries and
      has done a mountain of research. As yet, he is not online but his snail
      mail is:
      2200 Blackjack Simpson Rd
      Greenville, N.C. 27858-9327
      Telephone: 252-758-2979

      I just talked with him, gave him your surnames and he will be glad to
      assist you, and anyone else out there!
      also
      Jeannette Cox St.Amand published several Volumes on Pitt County Gravestone
      Records... they can be found in quite a few librarys.
      Good researching to you...

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 8, 1998
        Gloria, (and everyone :) Welcome, again, to our list. My mother was a
        JACKSON and the JACKSON Cememtery at Jacksontown is our family one. It is
        located on Jacksontown Road off Hyw 11, on SR 1110. I, personally,
        documented each gravesite in 1994. There are quite a few unmarked graves,
        where wooden slabs had been & deteriorated..... also, an area about the
        size of half a city block where all markers were gone.
        I've just looked thru my list and your names are not included. Perhaps in
        the Joyner Library they may have an earlier listing... I plan to persue
        that course.
        I'll be happy to send you a copy of what I have if you so desire.
        Jewelle

        At 10:23 PM 11/7/98 -0400, you wrote:
        >Robert,
        >Do your books give directions to the cemeteries? I am looking for a Jackson
        >Cemetry in Jacksontown. Looking for Bryant Tripp and Abrigail Tripp.
        >Thanks Gloria
        >

        >At 09:00 PM 11/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
        >>I have 6 books on Cemeteries of Pitt Co. What name or Places are you
        >>looking for.
        <snip>

      • dc09182000@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 27 8:57 PM
          I really appreciate the time and effort that went in to gathering the
          information and getting in on the web site.

          Old headstones can be very difficult to read, so I am not sure if
          these are typos, my file is wrong, or the dates are too difficult to
          read. Can these be checked against Annette's file? I want to make
          sure my file is correct. Thanks.

          the 5th cemetery in the list (Heading North on Hwy 11....):

          Tom H, son of JT & MM Whitehurst. The list has August 13, 1914 and I
          have August 3, 1914.

          Paulina, wife of RA Davenport. The list has September 13, 1925 and I
          have September 18, 1925.

          Mary M, wife of JT Whitehurst. The list has May 11, 1932 and I have
          November 11, 1932.

          Russell, son of JL & Rebecca Whitehurst. The list has February 1907
          and I have February 1901.

          Diane Collins Whitehurst
          dc09182000@...

          Surnames: *Whitehurst *Andrews *Davenport *Whitman *Smith
          *Roebuck
        • Elizabeth Roebuck
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 28 5:26 AM
            Dianne, I will be glad to recheck these dates. You are right about being
            able to read them. You are right some are very difficult to read and that
            why I put in that statement. Tombstones are like census records, you just
            have to take what you see and and with family records, if there are any, and
            go with the source you have the most confidence in. My gggreat
            grandmother's surname was Vaughn and on the tomb, it read Baughn. I see
            you have Roebuck as a surname, maybe we tie in.
            Annette

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 28 12:17 PM
              I hope that those who love to "do" cemeteries will get themselves a cheap
              digital camera and photograph the headstones and then file them on CDs.  You
              can then make copies of the CDs and make them available to others.  I
              hesitate to bring up the idea of using shaving cream on the face of the
              headstone before photographing.  If we were to do this, along with a photo of
              the name and vital stats of the person who made the inventory, in pretty
              quick time we would have many headstones fully documented without the issure
              of typos.  While I have photos of three family cemeteries, I will probably go
              back and take digital pics of them.  There is nothing is nothing like a photo
              to reassure oneself that the info is correct.  If anyone is getting ready to
              "resurrect" an old, weeded over cemetery, I have some info on how to do that
              (tools, etc.) and how to photograph them.

              John B. Grimes
              jgrimes227@...
              Fairfax Station, VA 22039-2729

            • James Shivers
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 28 8:46 PM
                I remember distinctly a message in the cemetery list saying that use of
                shaving cream on tombstones although it will bring out the lettering will
                also lead to further deterioration of the headstone so i would offer the
                advice to seek a professionals opinion about the cleaning and restoration of
                any tombstones that require cleaning prior to photographing them.

                James Shivers
                spare-time cemetery nut

                ***** Wanna stop the kids from requesting unneeded pee breaks on those long
                trips ? *****
                Mention if we stop we are going to document a local overgrown cemetery while
                they are relieving themselves at the local burger king and after they are
                done they can help.
              • feonadorf@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 28 11:02 PM
                  James,

                  My boys love to go to the Cemetery with me, but am sorry to say I've found
                  fake flowers in their pockets when we've arrived home. Now that Patrick my 6
                  year old can read, he always finds what I am looking for before I do. I guess
                  his height helps out.

                  Lisa
                • Elizabeth Roebuck
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 29 5:36 AM
                    I used only water and a brush and I had no problem removing the moss, dirt,
                    and grime from the tombstone. Just take a little longer
                    Annette

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 29 5:39 AM
                      also I checked my work as someone tho't there were typing errors in the list
                      I just submitted and there are no typos. Just like with census you can only
                      record what is carved in. My ggg grandmother's name was Vaughn and on the
                      Tomb it reads Baughn. I can understand the sounds of V and B sounding
                      alike.
                      Annette

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 29 7:17 AM
                        This is in response to Annette but may be of interest to others:

                        I was certainly not criticizing your work at all.  To find and document the
                        old cemeteries takes as many hands and interested folks as possible and
                        everyone who will go into overgrown cemeteries is needed.  It is just that
                        often there are conflicting data from one list to another, and I have found
                        myself doubting what I have just recorded and checked after I get home.
                        Photographing the headstones makes for a wonderful data base that can then be
                        checked and re-checked.  There are now digital cameras in the $200 dollar
                        range (and the price is dropping rapidly).  They don't use film and the
                        "pictures," being digital, can be loaded into your computer and "sent" to
                        others who, if you don't have a CD burner, can then make copies onto CDs.
                        The "pictures" can be printed in black and white or color on most modern
                        bubble jet or laser printers.  It's just a thought, like using a
                        Geo-Positioning Satellite (GPS) Receiver to note the exact location of a
                        remote cemetery so that ephemeral houses, stores, cross roads or what have
                        you do not have to be relied upon.  Some of this technology is beyond some
                        folks desires or resources.  For others, they just may not have been
                        introduced to the idea and would jump at the chance to improve their
                        accuracy, portability, and longevity of the fruits of their labor.

                      • sonskimp@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 29 7:35 AM
                          Too dim to read
                        • JGrimes227@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 29 7:19 PM
                            Use shaving cream and a flash

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 30 5:29 AM
                              I use water only and a brush. And I will continue to "do" it the old
                              fashion way.