Cox family

  • Mark Catt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2000
      I have a Penelope E. Cox b.1825 in NC, mother Sally
      ___? b 1790 NC. Penelope married a Crouch, then Jacob
      Faith in 1846 in Crawford Co, IL. I don't know what
      county, but I've noticed some of the Pitt Co people
      list Cox as one of the family names they are
      researching, so I'll give it a shot. Do these names
      look familiar to anyone?

      =====
      So long,

      Mark

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2000
        From: Mark Catt <markdcatt@...>

        I have a Penelope E. Cox b.1825 in NC, mother Sally
        ___? b 1790 NC.  Penelope married a Crouch, then Jacob
        Faith in 1846 in Crawford Co, IL.  I don't know what
        county, but I've noticed some of the Pitt Co people
        list Cox as one of the family names they are
        researching, so I'll give it a shot.  Do these names
        look familiar to anyone?

        =====
        So long,

        Mark

        Hello Mark,
                 One of my GGrandfather, Ameriah Biggs COX, sisters was Penelope 'Pennie' COX, b.1 March 1824 d.2 April 1891, dau. of Joseph COX and Nancy HANCOCK. She m. G. Bryan Ellis and they had 10 children.
                 Does any of that sound familiar?  I don't have a record of her marrying a CROUCH or FAITH.
                                                     Jewelle

        Main  SURNAMES:
        BAKER; CANNON; COX; JACKSON;
        McGLOHORN etc; WINGATE

        Visit PITT COUNTY FAMILY RESEARCHERS website:
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/

      • eyafydal@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12, 2001
          Hi Jewell,

          I hope your aunt is better. Maybe she is my "aunt" or some relations,
          too. I will keep her and you in my prayers.

          While searching the archives I found this...as it turns out Ameriah
          Biggs Cox was one of my GGrandfathers also. His daughter Jemima
          married Robert Suggs...their daughter Pearle Elizabeth married Burwell
          Skinner...their daughter, Beryldene Skinner was my mother...

          This leads me to more questions than answers. My mother "loaned" the
          family bible to her great uncle when he needed proof for social
          security. Unfortunately, she never got it back. I remember reading
          it as a child and was fascinated with the information in it...a real
          loss.

          My mother also gave tintype pictures and photos to a relative who was
          doing family research and it never returned either. Some of the
          pictures were a book published about Pitt County.

          I went to Ayden one weekend and the librarian made copies for me...but
          they were not good. Would you have access to pictures that are
          scannable (if that is a word).

          Another question--do you know if any members of our family line were
          Native American. My mother had a picture of a woman who looked
          indian...mother said she was Cherokee... She also had a silver dagger
          that belonged to her...in the picture she was wearing the dagger tied
          around her waist. She had long dark braided hair and wore a plain
          shirt and skirt. Does this ring any bells with you?

          My mother has passed away and I have no idea what my sister did with
          some of these things. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

          Regards,
          Faye (LadyFaye is my email address spelled backwards)--make it easier
          to remember.

          --- In genpcfr@y..., Jewelle Baker <jewelle@c...> wrote:
          > At 10:17 PM 7/1/00 -0700, you wrote:
          > >From: Mark Catt <markdcatt@y...>
          > >I have a Penelope E. Cox b.1825 in NC, mother Sally
          > >___? b 1790 NC. Penelope married a Crouch, then Jacob
          > >Faith in 1846 in Crawford Co, IL. I don't know what
          > >county, but I've noticed some of the Pitt Co people
          > >list Cox as one of the family names they are
          > >researching, so I'll give it a shot. Do these names
          > >look familiar to anyone?
          > >
          > >=====
          > >So long,
          > >
          > >Mark
          >
          > Hello Mark,
          > One of my GGrandfather, Ameriah Biggs COX, sisters was
          Penelope
          > 'Pennie' COX, b.1 March 1824 d.2 April 1891, dau. of Joseph COX and
          Nancy
          > HANCOCK. She m. G. Bryan Ellis and they had 10 children.
          > Does any of that sound familiar? I don't have a record of
          her
          > marrying a CROUCH or FAITH.
          > Jewelle
          >
          > Main SURNAMES:
          > BAKER; CANNON; COX; JACKSON;
          > McGLOHORN etc; WINGATE
          >
          > Visit PITT COUNTY FAMILY RESEARCHERS website:
          > http://www
        • Mahala McMillan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003
            Jewel:

            Where can we get a copy of Arletta Wood's COX-OAKLEY FAMILY HISTORY 1700-1992? Thanks..

            Mahala McMillan