Re: [genpcfr] Gov Caswell

  • Clair Hadley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2000
      Hi Jim
      Strong evidence-a map, a description of his burial ceremony, news articles, to name a few..point to his burial site at the Caswell Memorial in Kinston, NC., next to his daughter's grave. The expense involved would entail excavation of that one small area of the cemetery. I wouldn't think it would be prohibitive with today's technology. I don't know where the other governors of North Carolina are buried, but Caswell, as the first governor, a Major General in the Revolutionary War, and one who was relected to 6 separate terms, is particularly important. Sort of NC's George Washington.
      Clair
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2000
        There is also the cemetery where his parents are buried at Vernon Hall. So
        overgrown one can't get into it. Outside possibility he was buried there
        instead of the Park. We are trying to get a picture of that cemetery online.

        Martha

        At 08:16 AM 6/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
        > Hi Jim Sort of NC's George Washington. Clair ----- Original
        >Message ----- From: Jim Brown To: genpcfr@egroups.com Sent:
        >Wednesday, June 07, 2000 12:44 PM Subject: Re: [genpcfr] Gov Caswell
        > Clair, .... LOL Is he the only lost governor??
        >Jim Brown ----- Original Message ----- From: Clair
        >Hadley To: Ila Grey McIlwean White Cc: Ila Grey
        >McIlwean White ; Jack Butler ; Jewelle Baker ; Mike Caswell ; mo
      • Jim Brown

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2000
            Good ... Go for it.  Jim