[genpcfr] Re: JACKSON/COX

  • Gayle Licari
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 7, 2000
      Plus any Battaglia's from Buffalo, NY area? My brother's son-in-law is
      one. Gayle
      A great Italian resource is POINTERS (Pursuing our Italian Names
      Together)
      By Dr. Thomas Militello. It cost $40.00 a year with a directory and 4
      magazines a year but well worth the money. Lots of tips and family
      history and photos. Gayle
    • DJ Peirce
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 8, 2000
        >>>Where are your Pierce's located. Any from Westmoreland/Richmond County,
        Virginia? Gayle<<<

        Gayle,

        Not as far as I have found them. They come from Cork, Ireland, abt. 1817,
        into RI; then in 1821 they go to Tuscaloosa AL, and in 1838 to Columbus MS.
        The sons went to Texas.
        Doris

        Researching in NC/SC: BIBBY, BELK, LEGGETT, BEAM, HILL, MARR, JACKSON, COX,
        DUREN, ALLEN, WOOD, MEADOR, MOBLEY.

        Also: PEIRCE, STRICKLAND, REAGAN, LARRISON, GREENWOOD, JARVIS, GREEN, DAVIS,
        SCOTT, EMBRY,KRAMER, MATOUSEK, MOOTY, BATTAGLIA.
      • DJ Peirce
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 8, 2000
          EMBRY,KRAMER, MATOUSEK, MOOTY, BATTAGLIA.

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 8, 2000
            Doris,
            If you have the town where your immigrants were from all you need to do
            is go to the LDS FHL and do a Catalog search for the town, province,
            Sicily and see what records you can order. The birth records are easy
            to read. I just pick out where the child was baptised because it gives
            the full name if it is one of the surnames I am searching I make
            copies. I use a cheat sheet to try to interpret the rest of the
            record. If you were subscribing to the pie@...
            Francis Arduini's will supply a copy of the cheat sheets for births,
            marriages, and deaths. The microfilm are only 3.50 to use for 3
            months. Lots of valuable information there.

            Are you in Pitt County? I am originally from Wayne County, but living
            in Nevada. Ciao, Gayle
          • DJ Peirce
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 8, 2000
              I'm living in Hall Co, GA (north GA) just now, and do use the FHC here...but
              haven't had any luck with the records from Palermo.
              I was on the Pie list, maybe I'll re-subscribe...
              Thanks for the suggestions.
[...]

              Get a FREE $10 gas card when you join carclub.com. As a member,
              you can save up to $550 a year if you own a car, and thousands
              more when you're buying one.
              http://click.egroups.com/1/1940/3/_/9468/_/952556043/

              eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/genpcfr/
            • Kevin and Amy Seymour
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 8, 2000
                Shadrach's daughter Serena m. Levi Allen WORTHINGTON, my gg grandfather.

                Kevin Seymour
                Holly Springs, NC
                Most any name I can claim, Renston to Frog Level, to Bell Arthur, to Blount
                Hall, Hanrahan and Littlefield.
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 8, 2000
                  Where in Palermo. I am searching San Giuseppe Iato, Palermo, Sicily.
                  Licari/Calamia/Pecoraro/Brasotto
                  Is it just the Battaglia's you are searching or are there other
                  surnames?
                  Gayle
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 8, 2000
                    Hello Doris,
                    My Shadrach JACKSON III had 3 wives and 13 children. If Joseph was
                    b.1815, then he was by 1st wife. I was told she was Eliza JONES b.1782+-,
                    dau. of Frances JONES.... but I have yet to prove his 1st wife.
                    Joseph JACKSON moved to Florida , then Texas, m. and had children, still
                    living 1872. Is this the one you're researching? What are your sources on
                    his wife? Do you know his children? JACKSON is on my Mother's side,
                    COX is my Father's side.
                    I have more information but, as you know, I am still trying to reconstruct
                    my files after the Dennis/Floyd fiasco.
                    Shadrack III was my GGGGrandfather.
                    Jewelle

                    Main SURNAMES:
                    BAKER; CANNON; COX; JACKSON;
                    McGLOHORN etc; WINGATE

                    Visit PITT COUNTY FAMILY RESEARCHERS website:
                    http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 8, 2000
                      Hello Kevin,
                      Serena "Reny" b.1848 was by Shadrach's 3rd wife, Catherine WILKERSON
                      b.1780 d.1860.
                      I was told by family members that "Reny" m. Willis WEATHINGTON but have
                      not proved it. Was your Grandfather her 2nd husband ... or is it one and
                      the same???
                      Will appreciate any information. Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 9, 2000
                        Perhaps I had my wires crossed last night, and I hope I didn't give out
                        misinformation. But here's what I have:

                        Serena m. Willis Weatherington and they had Levi Allen Worthington. Levi m.
                        Mary Elizabeth Evans (dau. Of Calvin and Nancy Evans.)

                        Levi and Mary lived on a place adjacent to where Bethany Church is now on
                        Hwy. 903 near Renston. I think it was right beside Mr. Charles McLawhorn's
                        Dairy (he died recently I think).

                        One of Levi and Mary's children was Rhoda Catherine Worthington and she was
                        my g grandmother, making them my gg's and Serena & Willis my
                        ggg-grandparents.

                        I can provide dates some more details if anyone is interested.

                      • DJ Peirce
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 9, 2000
                          I have been told that Serena was the daughter of Easter___, and that
                          Catherine Wilkerson was the first wife of Shadrach Sr. Do you have the names
                          of the first two wives? I had only the two wives. I'd love to have your
                          line, to compare what I have been given.
                          I'm just now trying to find the proof of all these
                          connections.

                          http://click.egroups.com/1/1473/3/_/9468/_/952581879/

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 9, 2000
                            Jewelle,
                            I have little proof of my own...this is a report prepared by Bob Duren of
                            OK. He is the half-brother of my (late)mother-in-law, Hazel Duren Peirce.
                            He sent me copies of the Tombstones of Joseph and Margaret Cox Jackson, and
                            copies of what appears to be a report in a genealogical paper on the
                            Shadrach Jackson Sr family...it does say there were three wives, but names
                            only two that I can see.

                            I'm sending, as an attachment, a decendancy report of what I have gleaned
                            from all this. I would appreciate any additions or corrections...what I'm
                            looking for now is to straighten it all out and find the proof of what I
                            have. If you'd rather I send the regular modified report, I will be happy
                            to do so.
                            I know just how difficult it can be to get back to where you were--I lost a
                            lot in Andrew!! Only one file cab. out of three was saved..but it finally
                            got pretty close to where I was, and for the past year I've been trying to
                            add to it.
                            Doris
                            P S...Joseph Jackson was my husband's ggr-grandfather, making Shadrach Sr.
                            his 3g.grfath.

                            Researching in NC/SC: BIBBY, BELK, LEGGETT, BEAM, HILL, MARR, JACKSON, COX,
                            DUREN, ALLEN, WOOD, MEADOR, MOBLEY.

                            Also: PEIRCE, STRICKLAND, REAGAN, LARRISON, GREENWOOD, JARVIS, GREEN, DAVIS,
                            SCOTT, EMBRY,KRAMER, MATOUSEK, MOOTY, BATTAGLIA.

                            My Shadrach JACKSON III had 3 wives and 13 children. If Joseph was
                            b.1815, then he was by 1st wife. I was told she was Eliza JONES b.1782+-,
                            dau. of Frances JONES.... but I have yet to prove his 1st wife.
                            Joseph JACKSON moved to Florida , then Texas, m. and had children, still
                            living 1872. Is this the one you're researching? What are your sources on
                            his wife? Do you know his children? JACKSON is on my Mother's side,
                            COX is my Father's side.
                            I have more information but, as you know, I am still trying to reconstruct
                            my files after the Dennis/Floyd fiasco.
                            Shadrack III was my GGGGrandfather.
                            Jewelle

                            Main SURNAMES:
                            BAKER; CANNON; COX; JACKSON;
                            McGLOHORN etc; WINGATE

                            Visit PITT COUNTY FAMILY RESEARCHERS website:
                            http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/

                            >From: "DJ Peirce" <ginlu@...>
                            >At 09:47 PM 3/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
                            >I'm looking for Joseph JACKSON, b.1815 Pitt Co, (son of Shadrach) m.
                            >Margaret COX, who was dau of
                            >Elijah COX & Celia HORNE.
                            >Does anyone recognize these names?
                            >
                            >Doris Peirce
                            >ginlu@...
                            >

                            >Researching in NC/SC: BIBBY, BELK, LEGGETT, BEAM, HILL, MARR, JACKSON, COX,
                            >DUREN, ALLEN, WOOD, MEADOR, MOBLEY.
                            >
                            >Also: PEIRCE, STRICKLAND, REAGAN, LARRISON, GREENWOOD, JARVIS, GREEN,
                            DAVIS,
                            >SCOTT, EMBRY,KRAMER, MATOUSEK, MOOTY, BATTAGLIA.

                            Get a FREE $15 BN.com gift certificate when you join carclub.com.
                            As a member, you can save up to $550 a year if you own a car, and
                            thousands more when you're buying one.
                            http://click.egroups.com/1/1942/3/_/9468/_/952581877/

                            -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/genpcfr/?m=1
                          • DJ Peirce

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 19, 2000
                                Jewell,
                                Do you have the names of the first two wives? I have been told that
                                Catherine Wilkerson was the first wife, Easter ??? the second, and no
                                third...I think this comes from an article in some publication (he sent me
                                copies of it, but it was cut off on the bottom and didn't have all the rest
                                of the article).
                                And, if Catherine Wilkerson was the mother of Serena (b.1848), it doesn't
                                seem too likely she would be the first wife, as there were children b.
                                1804-1815, supposedly to the first wife.

                                BTW....I have Willis WEATHINGTON for her husband.

                              • rlcapps
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 19, 2000
                                  Hi Doris,

                                  Hate to stick my nose in here, but have a question for you...you mentioned
                                  Weatherington....Would you happen to have a Robert Yancy or Yancy Weatherington
                                  married to an Andrews?

                                  Am looking for this for a cousin in PA....

                                  Thank you,

                                  Marilyn Page Capps

                                  RESEARCHING:

                                  MARTIN COUNTY, NC..... PAGE, CLARK, BIGGS, WYNN, BEACH
                                • DJ Peirce

                                    Hate to stick my nose in here, but have a question for you...you mentioned
                                    Weatherington....Would you happen to have a Robert Yancy or Yancy
                                    Weatherington
                                    married to an Andrews?

                                    Am looking for this for a cousin in PA....

                                    Thank you,

                                    Marilyn Page Capps

                                    RESEARCHING:

                                    MARTIN COUNTY, NC..... PAGE, CLARK, BIGGS, WYNN, BEACH

                                    Get paid for the stuff you know!