[genpcfr] Cobb

  • Bill Kittrell
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2000
      What are some of the Cobb names that you are looking for. Some of the
      Cobbs were living on what is now W. C. Cobb Road, just northeast of
      Penny Hill. This is on the Pitt-Edgecombe line. An Ollen Cobb b. 1798
      is buried on this road. Believe his wife was Lydia Thigpen b. 1802. Can
      you give me more names. Also a Benjamin Cobb b. 1841. Believe the county
      lines might have run through the Cobb farm.
    • Pete Deal
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2000
        I am looking for info on Arsena Cobb b. abt 1814 in Pitt maybe Edgecombe m.
        Job Deal abt. 1830. Children are Eliza(Lizer), William Levi, Jonas Edward,
        Elizabeth, James G., Stephen S. Most of the children wound up in Beaufort
        Co.
        Thanks for all help. Pete Deal

        riginal Message -----

      • EPit637350@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
          Pete:
          Your request caught my eye. I research the "Dail". I posted the following
          information to the "Dail" Genforum site back in December. I know you are
          looking for "Deal" -- however, the information looks very similar.
          Hope this helps.

          Sue Dail Pittman
          Researching: Dail, Harris, Manning, Mills, Lewis, Braxton, Bowden (and one
          Parker -- just in case my distant cuzin Steve in Memphis reads this)

          In the 1850 Census for Pitt County, North Carolina, there are three Deel
          families listed. Are Job, Nathan, and Theophilus related? Does anyone know
          the origin of Deel in Pitt County? Also, the spelling of the Deel name was
          changed to Dail. Does anyone know how or why that happened? I have summarized
          below the beginning of the information I have accumulated.
          Sue Dail Pittman

          (1) Deel Job 35 NC Farmer
          Arcena 35 NC
          John 10 NC
          Stephen S. 8 NC
          Levi W. 5 NC
          Elizabeth 3 NC
          James Gray 1 NC
          Family Number 324

          (2) Deel Nathan 28 NC Laborer
          Garris Sarah 32 NC
          Henry 5 NC
          William 3 NC
          Paul 11/12 NC
          Griffin’s District – Family Number 662
          NATHANIEL1 DAIL was born 1816 in Pitt County, NC. He married SARAH GARRIS
          1840 in Pitt County, North Carolina, daughter of NEHEMIAH GARRIS and NANCY
          LITTLE
          Children of NATHANIEL DAIL and SARAH GARRIS are:
          i. HENRY2 DAIL, b. 1845, Pitt County, NC.
          ii. WILLIAM DAIL, b. 1847.
          iii. PAUL DAIL, b. 1849, Pitt County, NC.
          iv. GUS DAIL, b. 1836, Pitt County, NC.
          v. NANCY DAIL, b. 1852, Pitt County, NC.
          vi. SARAH DAIL, b. 1854, Pitt County, NC.
          vii. FRANCES DAIL, b. 1855, Pitt County, NC.
          viii. WILLIE DAIL, b. 1856, Pitt County, NC.

          (3) Deel Theophilus 23 NC Laborer 20
          Davis Nancy 24 NC
          Elizabeth 4 NC
          Bryan 2 NC
          Jesse 8/12 NC
          Burney’s District – Family Number 777
          THEOPHILUS1 DAIL was born 1825 in Pitt County, NC. He married NANCY DAVIS
          1846 in Pitt, North Carolina, daughter of JOHN DAVIS and SUSAN BOWDEN.
          Children of THEOPHILUS DAIL and NANCY DAVIS are:
          i. WILLIAM BRYANT2 DAIL, b. January 17, 1843, Pitt County, NC; d. August 15,
          1883, Pitt County, NC.
          ii. ELIZABETH DAIL, b. 1846.
          iii. JESSE DAIL, b. 1850.
          iv. JOHN DAIL, b. Abt. 1852; m. PATSY ELKS.
          v. CALVIN DAIL, b. Abt. 1863; m. JENNIS TRIPP.
          vi. DICKINSON DAIL, b. Abt. 1864; m. SUSAN LEAMON.
          vii. OFFA DAIL, b. Abt. 1864; m. JULIA F. SERMONS.
          viii. THEOPHILUS DAIL, JR., b. 1865; m. JULIA SERMONS, August 18, 1887,
          Contentnea Twp, Pitt, North Carolina.
        • Martha Marble
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000
            The name Dail was spelled in many ways but most likely all of the Pitt Co
            family descend from Abel Dail or Paul Dail. Can't follow Paul but think
            most come down Abel one way or the other. Abel appears to have moved to
            Pitt from Norfolk Co, Va. and was the son of William. They were in Pitt,
            Craven, Greene, Lenoir and my Thomas went to Duplin ca 1790 and some of
            Thomas' descendants went back to Lenoir. I can't prove Thomas' father but
            most likely either Thomas or Abel Sr or Jr.

            List of Titables taken 10th of June 1730 for the Western Branch by Thoms Scott
            William Deall and son Abeel 2

            Martha

          • Pete Deal
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2000
              Sue - Thanks for the reply. It has always and still is easy to soundex Deal
              and Dail. I hear it often. My gggfather was Job Deal b.abt 1812 m. Arsena
              Cobb b.abt1814 lived Edgecombe Co. According to my undocumented family
              records his father was Adam Deal m. Mary???? But according to documented
              Stallings family records his father was Eli J Deal b.abt 1785 m. Mary
              Stallings b.abt 1785. Your records of Job Deal/Arcena Cobb son John is the
              first that I've seen. Where are your records from? This is a link that I've
              missed. I'm decended from Job Deals son Jonas. Apparently there were 8
              (maybe more children). Thanks for any help.
              Pete Deal

> [...]
              > THEOPHILUS1 DAIL was born 1825 in Pitt County, NC. He married NANCY DAVIS
              > 1846 in Pitt, North Carolina, daughter of JOHN DAVIS and SUSAN BOWDEN.
              > Children of THEOPHILUS DAIL and NANCY DAVIS are:
              > i. WILLIAM BRYANT2 DAIL, b. January 17, 1843, Pitt County, NC; d. August
              15,
              > 1883, Pitt County, NC.
              > ii. ELIZABETH DAIL, b. 1846.
              > iii. JESSE DAIL, b. 1850.
              > iv. JOHN DAIL, b. Abt. 1852; m. PATSY ELKS.
              > v. CALVIN DAIL, b. Abt. 1863; m. JENNIS TRIPP.
              > vi. DICKINSON DAIL, b. Abt. 1864; m. SUSAN LEAMON.
              > vii. OFFA DAIL, b. Abt. 1864; m. JULIA F. SERMONS.
              > viii. THEOPHILUS DAIL, JR., b. 1865; m. JULIA SERMONS, August 18, 1887,
              > Contentnea Twp, Pitt, North Carolina.

              > Get a FREE $15 BN.com gift certificate when you join carclub.com.
              > As a member, you can save up to $550 a year if you own a car, and

            • rootspuzzle
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 11, 2007
                Dail notes.

                1900 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Craven >
                Township 1 > District 43
                114-115
                Daniel Dale 29 [nov 1870] md:5 Annie M Dale 21[may 1879] md:5 ch:2-
                liv:2 Fred L Dale 4 [feb 1896] Bulah Dale 1 [oct 1898]
                Name: Daniel Dale Home in 1900: Township 1, Craven, North Carolina
                Age: 29 Estimated birth year: abt 1871 Birthplace: North Carolina
                Relationship to head-of-house: Head Spouse's name: Annie M Race:
                White

                1910 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Chicod >
                District 93
                158-158
                Daniel W Gail [DAIL] 39 md:15 Armandy Gail 36 md:15 ch:7-liv:7 Fred
                Gail 13 Beulah Gail 12 Boney Gail 9 Jetha Gail 8 Elias Gail 6 Preston
                Gail 4 Thelma Gail 11/12

                1920 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Ayden >
                District 36
                Wilson road
                86-87 Fred DAIL 23
                87-88
                Daniel Dail 49 Amanda Dail 36 Bonnie Dail 19 md Georgia Dail 15 md:
                [daug-in-law] Julia Dail 16 Elias Dail 14 Thelma Dail 11

                Daniel W Dail d: 5 May 1962 Edgecombe, North Carolina 1871

                North Carolina Birth Index, 1800-2000
                Thelma Dail 22 Jun Pitt Daniel Dail Amanda Buck

                Dail 14 Aug 1920 Pitt Bonnie W Dail Georgia Hudson
                Dail 18 Jul 1922 Pitt Bonnie Dail Georgia Hudson
                Robert Dail 4 Mar 1929 Beaufort Bonnie Dail Georgia Hudson

                Sue