[genpcfr] Re: EZEKIEL STOKES

  • Linda Harris
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 4, 2000
      Jewell,

      what do you hve on the cannon family? what was your mother name, i knew her
      as Helen Cannon, but have no idea what her maiden name was?
      Linda Harris
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~digginforroots/index.htm
      Researching in NC (northeastern) and PA York and dauphin co)
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4, 2000
        Hello Linda...
        My Mother's name was Wingate Helen JACKSON CANNON, dau of Ulysses Simpson
        Grant JACKSON and Mary Madalene "Mag" WINGATE. My Father was Roland Ray
        CANNON, son of Erastus "Ras" CANNON and Nancy Elizabeth "Bet" COX.
        I have/had lots of family information, but remember my computer 'died'
        during Floyd and I lost ALL my data... have to begin anew constructing my
        notes... some of which lie in my warehouse flooded by Dennis/Floyd. I'll
        be happy to share all w/you.
        BTW, whenever I have a free moment, I find myself surfing your webpage
        again... one could spend hours there! I encourage all of our Group to visit!
        Jewelle
        Main SURNAMES:
        BAKER; CANNON; COX; JACKSON;
        McGLOHORN etc; WINGATE

        Visit PITT COUNTY FAMILY RESEARCHERS website:
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/

        >From: "Linda Harris" <lfh@...>
        >At 01:49 PM 3/4/00 -0500, you wrote:
        >Jewell,
        >
        >what do you hve on the cannon family? what was your mother name, i knew her
        >as Helen Cannon, but have no idea what her maiden name was?
        >Linda Harris
        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~digginforroots/ index.htm
        >Researching in NC (northeastern) and PA York and dauphin co)
        <snip>
      • Linda Harris
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2000
          Jewel,
          i am glad you like my web site. thanks

          the jacksons, cox, cannon, and wingates all intermarried with in my garris
          family fairly early (1800's or before) by garris family i mean the dec of
          Nehemiah Garris. are your jacksons from the ayden/grifton area several were
          in that area at one time

          i believe i remember that at one time you and your husband owned and ran
          Baker Furniture Co in Kinston, do you still.

          i seem to remember many things from the 50 and 60's but not where i left my
          shoes the night before.

          I was raised in LIttlefield (next to where the Ayden/grifton schoold is now)
          Yes i know you. I went to school with Mary Helen and Faye. Faye is a year
          older and mary hellen 2 or 3 years younger.

          My mother was from Ayden, Lanie Garris, she is 76 now and lives in Raleigh.
          My parents lived in PA while i was growning up, but I lived with my
          grandparents, Henry Garris and Drue Andrews Garris (gmother from Bethel) I
          graduated from Ayden in 1962. My real name is Linda Jean Frank, the Harris
          was added when I married. i like the way some of the south american
          countries do it, the females are required to keep their name and also to add
          it to the name of all of their children, that sure would help in finding the
          lost females.

          Linda Harris
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~digginforroots/index.htm
          Researching in NC (northeastern) and PA York and dauphin co)
          > My Mother's name was Wingate Helen JACKSON CANNON, dau of Ulysses Simpson
          >Grant JACKSON and Mary Madalene "Mag" WINGATE. My Father was Roland Ray
          >CANNON, son of Erastus "Ras" CANNON and Nancy Elizabeth "Bet" COX.
          > I have/had lots of family information, but remember my computer 'died'
          >during Floyd and I lost ALL my data... have to begin anew constructing my
          >notes... some of which lie in my warehouse flooded by Dennis/Floyd. I'll
          >be happy to share all w/you.
          > BTW, whenever I have a free moment, I find myself surfing your webpage
          >again... one could spend hours there! I encourage all of our Group to
          visit!
          > Jewelle
          >Main SURNAMES:
          >BAKER; CANNON; COX; JACKSON;
          >McGLOHORN etc; WINGATE
          >
          >Visit PITT COUNTY FAMILY RESEARCHERS website:
          >http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/
          >
          >>From: "Linda Harris" <lfh@...>
          >>At 01:49 PM 3/4/00 -0500, you wrote:
          >>Jewell,
          >>
          >>what do you hve on the cannon family? what was your mother name, i knew
          her
          >>as Helen Cannon, but have no idea what her maiden name was?
          >>Linda Harris
          > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~digginforroots/ index.htm
          >>Researching in NC (northeastern) and PA York and dauphin co)

        • Gayle Licari
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2000
            Jewelle,
            Where in Pitt County are your Cox's possibly near Stantonsburg? Gayle

            PS do you have Janice Gurganus's e-mail address?
            Gayle
          • Gayle Licari
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2000
              Jewel and Linda,
              The Italian women also keep their maiden names through out life too
              especially conducting business. I was looking for my husband's
              Grandmother's name on the passenger list for 1897 and could not find
              her til someone told me look under her maiden name. Lo and behold there
              she was Vincenza Mazzapica with her two young sons Salvatore and
              Francesco Di Legami. The boys were listed under their father's name. A
              slight stretch from the D's to the M's....
              Also Italian records reflect the relationship. If a couple who were
              related wanted to marry they have to get a dispensation from the
              diocese or the POPE and they note in the records to what degree the
              parties are related either by affinity or by consanguinity (blood) They
              give the occupations of all parties.
              The records are wonderful for linking generations...

              Linda did you know Clara Pate GARRIS?

              Gayle
            • Linda Harris
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2000
                gayle,

                thanks for the info on the italian naming. i do not think i know clara pate
                garris, who is she?

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 5, 2000
                  She was married to a Henry Garris of Wayne County, NC. Their
                  information should be on the paper work I sent to you...She was very
                  gifted musically and she taught piano lessons for many years in Wayne
                  County. Gayle
                • Linda Harris
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 6, 2000
                    i do not know her, she sounds very interesting through.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 6, 2000
                      At 05:44 PM 3/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
                      >Jewel,
                      >i am glad you like my web site. thanks
                      >
                      > the jacksons, cox, cannon, and wingates all intermarried with in my garris
                      >family fairly early (1800's or before) by garris family i mean the dec of
                      >Nehemiah Garris.

                      I know we have GARRIS connections... but I haven't research that far to
                      date..... one of my 'to-do' items

                      > are your jacksons from the ayden/grifton area several were
                      >in that area at one time

                      Yes... Jacksontown ... inbetween the two... also some in Craven etc...
                      you know how the families moved from one area to another... but mainly
                      most of the CANNON's, JACKSON's, COX's, WINGATE's & McGLOHORN's rooted
                      themselves deeply in Pitt County.

                      >i believe i remember that at one time you and your husband owned and ran
                      >Baker Furniture Co in Kinston, do you still.

                      Paul died in 1963. I continued the company many years after ...
                      unfortunately the store burned and my family convinced me not to rebuild.

                      <snip>