[genpcfr] BLACK CEMETERY

  • Bill Kittrell
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2000
      There is a large cemetery for Blacks which I have always called Brown
      Hill. It is on Howell Street between Evans Street and Hooker Road. I
      have not done that one yet but am planning to do it. Also another rather
      large cemetery is located on Fire Tower Road beside the railroad tracks.
      I had done about 50% of that one before I lost most of my sight. Now
      with help of others I am going to complete that one.
      I want everyone to know that I need the location of all grave sites
      because I don't neglect recording any of them. Everyone wants to know
      about the grave sites of their family.
      For those of you who do not know the listing of Black grave sites is on
      PCFR Web Site. I have others I have done since they were posted.
    • Elizabeth Ross
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2000
        Cherry Hill Cemetery in Greenville also has a black section, and the whole
        cemetery is posted on our website. If I recall, it is designated in this
        transcript as "section O" (that letter O, not zero). This old cemetery is
        about full, and is one of my favorite places in town! Really beautiful and
        serene. It suffered some tree damage during Floyd, but no flooding--it's on
        a bluff overlooking the river, which rose all around it.

        Brown Hill is also a nice cemetery, a bit newer. Hurry and survey it, Bill!
        I'd love to help you do it.

        Betsy Ross