[genpcfr] Rcannon

  • Linda Harris
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2000
      Sammy Pierce,

      i have just finished going through the cannon info that you have sent to
      me. your ggrandmother was a burruss. i am very interested in this line.
      is the burruss and burroughs the same family? if so how does she fit into
      that family. the reason that i ask is that i was always told that your
      family and my family were related. the relationship with the cannons was to
      far removed for me to have been told that . do the Lang family fit into
      your burruss line?

      i really do appriciate the cannon info, sure did help.
      Linda Harris
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~digginforroots/index.htm
      Researching in NC (northeastern) and PA York and dauphin co)
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2000
        Linda,
        My grandmother Burruss was named for her mother's family. Her father
        Matthias Manley Sauls, was from near Black Creek outside Wilson. He went to
        college in Richmond where he studied pharmacy and met my great-grandmother,
        Sarah Catherine Burruss. They moved to Ayden where he opened the first
        drugstore in town. He died the year before I was born, but "Mommom" lived
        until I was 15. She was born in Caroline Co., Va and I've traced her family
        back to a John Burrus who died in King William Co., VA in 1705. The most
        likely candidate for his father was probably a Christopher Burroughs, but I
        doubt anyone will ever be able to prove it. Mommom's father, John George
        Burruss, was in the 9th VA Cavalry, Co. B. He lost his plantation after the
        Civil War and moved to Richmond where he was a city worker when he died. The
        Burruss name has over 20 different spellings; Burris, Burrus, Burrows,
        Borroughs, etc., etc.
        Several Burruss researchers just published a book on the family in early
        VA and a little on those in early NC. In fact, I'm going to buy a copy foir
        the PCFR section in the Pitt Community College library. Is there anyone I
        could try to locate for you?
        Sammy
      • Linda Harris
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2000
          thanks Sammy. i did not know that you were in the Army and stationed in DC.
          do you know Emmitte Gibson, he was stationed in DC for a while. emmitte
          graduated with me in 62. (boy that is a long time ago) and went to west
          point. emmitte is also a garris dec, as his ggrandmother was one of he many
          garrises. his gfather was emmitte dennis.

          i remember Sauls drug store, it ws in ayden long before edwards drug store
          came.

          as far as looking up any thing there is no reason to. some of the burrough
          family married into my lang family in the early 1800's. and i was just
          wondering if your grandmother was part of that family. i noticed you are
          part of the rountree family. i have a bunch of rountree info (they are all
          from the same person) on my web page. i also have 2 ged com files that have
          rountree info in them, on world family tree, they can be reached from my web
          page.

          years ago i divided my gmothers family and my gfathers family into 2
          seperate ged com files. as the files grow, and become more interrelated, it
          has caused problems in deciding where to put some of he data.

          jesse rountree who is probably the line that you come off of (he is the one
          who settled in the rountree area of pitt co, and many of his dec md into the
          cannon family) is a dec of Francis rountree and sarah coleman (francis died
          in 1723 in VA)

          My grandmother comes off of his son thomas who settled in the chowan area of
          nc through at least 2 lines.

          the pugh family that is in NC probably came from francis pugh who married
          Ferbee Savage. Savage is a dec of Thomas Savage who was given to the
          indians of VA in the very early 1600's (c 1607) he lived with them and
          inherited from thechief over 1000 A of land on the shore of VA. he was very
          instrimental in keeping relations between the indians of the shore and the
          white men in "good" order. he also was warned by his adopted native father
          that the indians of the western shore were about to raid the area (indian
          mascare of 1622)

          I do not know if you have gotten any of your families back tothe eastern
          shore of va, but you will, you will find the researchers there very good,
          the area has a full set of records from the time the first ship arrived
          until today. the history of the people there is very interesting, porbably
          not any more interesting than any other area, except that you can find the
          information.