[genpcfr] GLO link gleaned

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2000
      Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 08:01:38 -0400
      >To: Jewelle Baker <jewelle@...>
      >From: Trish Worthington Cobb <turniproots@...>
      >Subject: GLO link
      >
      >Hi Jewelle,
      >
      >Go ahead and pass Ann's message along. Too bad it doesnt have all the east
      >coast land grants on it. I did find my 4-great uncle Frederick
      >WORTHINGTON, and other Worthington's who got grants in Florida.
      >
      >It appears that one can order copies of the grants directly from this site.

      >>>(GLO stands for Government Land Office) Every person who has owned land in
      >>>the western United States is listed. Not Virginia, doggone it, or the
      >>>other eastern seaboard states. You can find out exactly where their land
      >>>was located, and the time period they owned it.

    • Kimberly Powell
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2000
        This site is an excellent reference that I would recommend everyone check out.  It does not include Virginia or North Carolina (as Ann was bemoaning) however, because the original thirteen colonies were not public land states - the United States gave up any claims to any land within the boundaries of the colonies during the early days of the Confederacy.

        Kimberly Powell

        eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/genpcfr