[genpcfr] Re: ged com

  • JGrimes227@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2000
      For Linda Harris: I use Family Tree as well - have found it to be a rock
      solid piece of software and have never lost any data and it never freezes up.
      Anyway: When I want to send someone some of my data, I usually just want to
      send a file of a particular branch that I display in the Outline Descendant
      Tree, picking the appropriate number of generations that I want to send from
      "Contents". I then go to "File", choose "Copy/Export Individuals in Outline
      Descendant Tree". This then opens a new window. I first change the default
      "Save as Type" from FTW to GEDCOM; then I change the "File Name" to a name
      the reflects the content of the file (usually a surname) and then the name of
      the person I am sending it too; and then click on "SAVE". This will then
      save all the normal data you have on the individuals in the Descendant Tree.
      It seems that it is always better to send a GEDCOM file for two reasons: 1. a
      GEDCOM file is much more compact and smaller, taking much less time to send,
      and 2. It will load into any version of FTW. If you send a FTW file, they
      are not backward compatible so a 4.0 ver will not load to a 3.0 version,
      bummer. Questions? Just ask. John Grimes.

      p.s. there are a number of features you can use to limit the amount of
      information you send but too lengthy to get into here.
    • Linda Harris
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2000
        i have a problem in that i have an older version of FTM and can not accept
        newer ged com files.
        Linda Harris
        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~digginforroots/index.htm
        Researching in NC (northeastern) and PA York and dauphin co)

      • AjusBjus@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2000
          You can download a free copy of Personal Ancestry File at FamilySearch.com.
          Then you can open your gedcom file.