[genpcfr] Re: ged com

  • Linda Harris
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 29, 2000
      i have family orgins and family tree maker.
      Linda Harris
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~digginforroots/index.htm
      Researching in NC (northeastern) and PA York and dauphin co)
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2000
        For Linda Harris: I use Family Tree as well - have found it to be a rock
        solid piece of software and have never lost any data and it never freezes up.
        Anyway: When I want to send someone some of my data, I usually just want to
        send a file of a particular branch that I display in the Outline Descendant
        Tree, picking the appropriate number of generations that I want to send from
        "Contents". I then go to "File", choose "Copy/Export Individuals in Outline
        Descendant Tree". This then opens a new window. I first change the default
        "Save as Type" from FTW to GEDCOM; then I change the "File Name" to a name
        the reflects the content of the file (usually a surname) and then the name of
        the person I am sending it too; and then click on "SAVE". This will then
        save all the normal data you have on the individuals in the Descendant Tree.
        It seems that it is always better to send a GEDCOM file for two reasons: 1. a
        GEDCOM file is much more compact and smaller, taking much less time to send,
        and 2. It will load into any version of FTW. If you send a FTW file, they
        are not backward compatible so a 4.0 ver will not load to a 3.0 version,
        bummer. Questions? Just ask. John Grimes.

        p.s. there are a number of features you can use to limit the amount of
        information you send but too lengthy to get into here.
      • Linda Harris
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2000
          i have a problem in that i have an older version of FTM and can not accept
          newer ged com files.

        • AjusBjus@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2000
            You can download a free copy of Personal Ancestry File at FamilySearch.com.
            Then you can open your gedcom file.