[genpcfr] ged com

  • LdMel1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 29, 2000
      When you go to FamilySearch.com and try to down load a file it is in ged com
      form and I cannot open it. I am illiterate about some things with this
      computer. Would someone help me out with this and get me out of
      kindergarten? Thanks very much.
      Linda Melvin
    • AjusBjus@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 29, 2000
        Do you have a genealogy program? Find the file you downloaded. double click
        on it and you should get instructions on how to open it.
      • paulette faulkner
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 29, 2000
          Hi,
          When you are sitting in your kindergarden class..you have at least one more
          student with ya..me!!I also have not mastered this ged stuff.
          paulette

        • JGrimes227@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 29, 2000
            Linda: What kind of genealogy software do you use? Perhaps knowing that, I
            may be able to help you. John
          • Linda Harris
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 29, 2000
              i have family orgins and family tree maker.
              Linda Harris
              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~digginforroots/index.htm
              Researching in NC (northeastern) and PA York and dauphin co)
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2000
                For Linda Harris: I use Family Tree as well - have found it to be a rock
                solid piece of software and have never lost any data and it never freezes up.
                Anyway: When I want to send someone some of my data, I usually just want to
                send a file of a particular branch that I display in the Outline Descendant
                Tree, picking the appropriate number of generations that I want to send from
                "Contents". I then go to "File", choose "Copy/Export Individuals in Outline
                Descendant Tree". This then opens a new window. I first change the default
                "Save as Type" from FTW to GEDCOM; then I change the "File Name" to a name
                the reflects the content of the file (usually a surname) and then the name of
                the person I am sending it too; and then click on "SAVE". This will then
                save all the normal data you have on the individuals in the Descendant Tree.
                It seems that it is always better to send a GEDCOM file for two reasons: 1. a
                GEDCOM file is much more compact and smaller, taking much less time to send,
                and 2. It will load into any version of FTW. If you send a FTW file, they
                are not backward compatible so a 4.0 ver will not load to a 3.0 version,
                bummer. Questions? Just ask. John Grimes.

                p.s. there are a number of features you can use to limit the amount of
                information you send but too lengthy to get into here.
              • Linda Harris
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2000
                  i have a problem in that i have an older version of FTM and can not accept
                  newer ged com files.

                • AjusBjus@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2000
                    You can download a free copy of Personal Ancestry File at FamilySearch.com.
                    Then you can open your gedcom file.