[genpcfr] Family Tree Maker

  • seymour.kevin@esc.state.nc.us
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 7 4:59 AM
      Technical question for the group:

      How do I take a gedcom file and merge it in with my FTM software?

      I received a Turnage file with 957 names in it, but only 118 merged.
      Does anyone know why?

      Obviously, I am trying to avoid so much data entry.

      Kevin Seymour
    • Rose Thomas
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2002
        Hi fellow researchers! I'm hoping someone could lend me some advice. This
        group has been wonderful in the past and I feel it is one of the most
        helpful and trusted groups I belong too, therefore I wanted to ask: I use
        the Family Tree Maker FTM version 9.0. I have about 7643 names in it. OK so
        genealogy has taken a life of it's own with me :-). However, I am getting a
        bit worried that the program may start to give me problems being so large
        (128404 KB). Has anyone ever experience problems with FTM especially rather
        large ones? I have backed it up on a seperate CD but still I worry.

        Thank You,
        Rose
        Main Surnames in Pitt County: Baker, Parker, Evans, Williams
      • Nelson Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 4, 2002
          Rose, I'm running with 30,000 plus names. Jim

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 4, 2002
            Jim, Looks like I still have plenty of room to grow before I should worry
            Thanks! Rose

          • WhiteDove263429@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 4, 2002
              I am running about 75000 names and I have lots of back up disk

            • Linda F. Harris
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 6, 2002
                i know that each data base can take up to 99999 names and there can be an
                unknown no of data bases on ftm.

                Linda Harris
                http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~digginforroots/index.htm
                Researching in NC (northeastern) and PA York and dauphin co)
                > Rose, I'm running with 30,000 plus names. Jim

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Rose Thomas
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 6, 2002
                  Thank You and to all the others who responded to my FTM question. It looks
                  like I can continue to grow and grow with out worry.

                  Rose

                  > Rose, I'm running with 30,000 plus names. Jim

                • Ruth Fentress
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 3, 2003
                    If I upgrade my FTM to a higher version, will my old data be
                    transferred to the new version ? In other words, will I lose any of
                    what I have now ? Does anyone know the answer ? Thank you.
                    Ruth Fentress
                  • Charlynn Helms
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2003
                      Ruth - Everything will be fine when you upgrade. You should not lose
                      anything, but always make a back-up before upgrading.

                      After you open your family tree up in the new version it will be upgraded to
                      the newer version as well.

                      Charlynn

                      If I upgrade my FTM to a higher version, will my old data be
                      transferred to the new version ? In other words, will I lose any of
                      what I have now ? Does anyone know the answer ? Thank you.
                      Ruth Fentress

                      ---
                    • JGrimes227@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2003
                        One nice thng about Family Tree is that the program is completely separate
                        from the data files. So when you upgrade it doesn't go near your data. Though
                        as mentioned already - before you upgrade make sure you put a copy on a CD or
                        other backup device BEFORE you upgrade.

                        John B. Grimes
                        jgrimes227@...
                        Fairfax Station, VA 22039-2729

                      • Ruth Fentress
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 4, 2003
                          Charlynn, thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it.
                          Ruth