[genpcfr] Re: VAULT information #1

  • Elizabeth Ross
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2000
      Hello all listmembers,

      Before posting your work to any Egroups vault, consider the policy of
      Egroups concerning what it calls "Proprietary Rights". The following excerpt
      from the Egroups "Legal" page pretty much says it:

      "You agree that upon posting any material within a group open to the public
      on the Service, you grant eGroups.com, and its successors and assigns, a
      non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free, perpetual, non-revocable license
      under your copyrights or other intellectual property rights, if any, in such
      material, to use, distribute, display, reproduce, and create derivative
      works from such material in any and all media, in any manner, in whole or
      part, without any duty to account to you. You further agree that upon
      posting any material within a private, members-only group on the Service,
      you grant eGroups.com, and its successors and assigns, a non-exclusive
      worldwide, royalty free, perpetual, non-revocable license under your
      copyrights or other intellectual property rights, if any, in such material
      to distribute, display, and reproduce such material to other members of that
      group. You also grant eGroups.com the right to authorize the downloading and
      printing in whole or in part of any material that you have posted to a group
      on the Service, by endusers for their personal use."

      In my opinion, this is a serious problem. Our webpage and Resource Boards
      are housed on the Rootsweb server, whose policy is much friendlier. It
      states that it will not distribute archival material or web contents without
      the permission of the contributor. For that reason, I prefer to contribute
      my original transcriptions to our website and its ancillary boards, or to
      our published Quarterly, rather than to the mail list or vault.

      We must also consider that the Vaults are open to visitors to any open mail
      list, and therefore are public access resources. Please do not post any
      copyrighted material or material requiring permission of an original
      contributor. After visiting the vaults of several other egroups lists, at
      random, I saw MANY violations of this rule--I even saw my own work stripped
      of its credits. Not only does this do me an injustice, it also destroys the
      integrity of the document since an undocumentable source is more or less
      useless to bonafide research.

      It's not my intention to be a party-pooper. I think our mail list and vault
      are great places to post lengthy original compilations of family files that
      are too large for the email limits, and great places to share conclusions
      that we have made from available resources. It is up to each member to
      decide whether they want to grant Egroups blanket permission to profit from
      distribution of his or her original transcriptions. Its also up to each
      member to obtain permission from others before copying work to any public
      access forum.

      Just continue to use your good judgement on these issues. Internet genealogy
      is a great experience--let's all work to keep it ethical and productive.
      Most times, a link to the original is better than a copy of the original,
      anyhow! That's what the WWW does best.

      Betsy Ross
      PCFR Webmaster