Buck Family of Pitt County

  • David A. French
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2013
      Hi All,

      There is a good discussion of the Buck Family who lived in Pitt County,
      North Carolina on the Buck Family Rootsweb List. I am not directly related
      to the Buck Family, but have cousins who are related and have a Buck or two
      who have married into some collateral branches here in Eastern North
      Carolina.

      All The Best,

      David

      www.encfamilies.org

      Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 00:06:18 -0000
      From: "gc-gateway@..." <gc-gateway@...>
      Subject: Re: [BUCK] John Buck
      To: <BUCK-L@...>

      Author: gsdmoonshadow
      Surnames: Buck
      Classification: queries

      Message Board URL:

      http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.buck/2857.1/mb.ashx

      Message Board Post:

      Hi Larry,
      Glad you started a new thread.
      OK..first...The John C Buck found onn the 1830 Census for Caddo, Clark, AR
      is NOT our John Buck. This was a young man with a wife and a couple of kids.
      It's "possible" that he might have been a son of our John because our
      John was abt. 42 in 1830 and I have seen marriages in these lines where the
      man was 19 and the wife 14 and they already had children!!!
      Maybe this son was sent down to check things out? But it is a fact that
      our John's land grant was the same year as his first child that was born in
      AR (1839 ??)
      So...In 1830 our John our John Buck would have been in TN but where..can
      anyone find him??
      I just sent you and someone else the photos of the huge blanket
      gravestone that was installed over the grave of Wiiliam S Buck who was John
      and Betsy's 1st son. On this huge stone it shows his parents as John and
      Elizabeth and then it lists ALL the children that reached adulthood. There
      were 9.

      The children listed on that huge gravestone are listed in this order with
      the years they were born....I am adding the place of birth from what I can
      see.

      William S 1816 NC (Martin County?)
      Edward Rel 1819 NC
      Morgan 1823 NC
      Martha "Patsy" 1824 TN
      Ailsey 1823 TN
      Martin 1827 TN (Henderson?)
      Sarah Ann 1832
      Nancy 1836 TN
      B. Cornelius AR 1839
      I know other children show up on various census reports but they either
      died young or were not from John and Betsy.

      The name "John" isn't listed on this stone so either this child died early
      or he was someone else's child. The names Cora or Addolinealso do not
      appear on this stone.
      This stone also lists the children of William S Buck and his wife.
      I wish I could post the pics here but can't so if anyone wants to see the
      pics then email me at gsdmoonshadow@...

      I also sent out a new email showing the PROOF that OUR JOHN BUCK was not
      the same John Buck who married Elizabeth Barnett in Carter Co., TN in 1818.
      That John Buck is very well documented. He was the son of Jonathon Taylor
      Buck and Zuriah Covalt. He was b. in a different year in PA (not NC like
      our John).
      He also was married twice. His first wife, Glaphy Denton died in 1818 in
      childbirth (baby lived and was named Glaphy like her mom)..John married
      again right away as many did back then and he married Elizabeth Barnett the
      same year 1818 in Carter Co., TN. They went on to have many children. Their
      children did not seem to share the same first names that are so prevalent
      in our Buck lines.
      I have sent pix of this John Buck of Carter Co., of himself and his
      gravestone and of the other Buck graves. There is even a picture somewhere
      of Glaphy Denton but not one of Elizabeth Barnett.
      So...maybe the old unsubstantiated rumor that our "Betsy" was indeed a
      "Stone" might be true because she sure wasn't a Barnett.
      All the Pitt Co., Records where we believe our John and Betsy came from
      were burned in 1858. Some Buck records were put together thru land records
      and a will that had been sent away somewhere else to be registered when the
      fire happened.
      Some believe that a man named Isaac Buck came from Scituate, MA to NC.
      He had abt. 10 sons and 3 daughters. Because the records are burned the
      researchers put together most but not all his sons from land records.
      It is believed that this Isaac had a son named John and there are records
      in NC showing a man named John R Buck being b. abt 1761 in Martin Co., NC.
      This would be the right age to be the father of our John Buck of Clark Co.,
      AR.
      Because they are near the same age I also suspect that our John and
      Morgan Buck who died in AL in 1829 at age 47 might have been brothers out
      of this John R Buck.
      The following year after Morgan's death in 1830 we find a John, Morgan
      and Ebenezer living next to or a house apart in Fayette, TN. Then in 1840
      none of these men are in Fayette anymore. And it looks like Ebenezer moved
      to Clark Co., ARE and Morgan to Madison Co., AR but not sure about John. He
      sure wasn't the same John found in 1830 in Caddo, Clark, AR in 1830 but
      what a coincidence huh?
      I did find in the 1840 census in Jefferson Co., AR a John N Buck with an
      interesting amount of people living him.
      4 men 30-40
      4 men 20-30
      1 boy 5-10
      1 boy 10-15
      1 female 40-50
      1 girl 15-20
      So maybe this was same John Buck that was either in Fayette, TN or Caddo
      Clark, AR in 1830.
      As a side note I saw that in 1820 census there were these Bucks listed:
      Cornelius pg. 113
      Cornelius pg. 389
      James pg. 77
      I have no idea where in TN these men were located.
      In 1830 I find 3 John Bucks listed:
      John C Buck - Caddo, Clark, AR
      John Buck - Crawford Co, AR tax list
      John Buck - Chicot Co, AR tax list
      I need to research more in all of TN for Bucks living there in 1830.
      Here is a list of all the John Buck's in 1820 NC census and 3 more listed
      before that. (remember that boundaries changed and new Counties were being
      formed so some of these may be the same man.
      John Buck - Richmaond, NC
      John Buck - Pitt, NC
      John A Buck - Beaufort, NC
      and there are these:
      John Buck - 1812 Rowan Co., NC
      John Buck - 1814 Richmond Co., NC
      John Buck 1786 Dist. #1, Halifax Co., NC (Pitt was formed out of Halifax)
      Hope this helps...
      Licia

      Important Note:
      The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you would
      like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link above and
      respond on the board.

      ------------------------------

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 23:37:15 -0500
      From: "HistoryBuff" <historybuff5@...>
      Subject: [BUCK] John Buck
      To: <gc-gateway@...>, <buck@...>

      While there is much research being done on a John Buck in recent days, Maybe
      some of you have run across my John Buck and can help me find him. All I
      know is he was born March 13, 1814, at Concord, Cabarrus County, North
      Carolina to George Henry Buck and Martha Susannah Neisler Buck. Married
      I.L. Thomas and there my trail goes cold. Any help Will certainly be
      appreciated.

      H.B.

      ------------------------------

      Message: 3
      Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 05:32:19 -0000
      From: "gc-gateway@..." <gc-gateway@...>
      To: <BUCK-L@...>

      Author: gsdmoonshadow
      Surnames: Buck
      Classification: queries

      Message Board URL:

      http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.buck/2857.2/mb.ashx

      Message Board Post:

      Here is some more info to consider:
      I went in search of John Bucks in NC but was dismayed at the missing
      records and census in the counties I needed but here is what I found.
      1790 Halifax Co.
      John Buck
      1 male over 16
      2 males under 16
      2 females
      6 slaves
      The rest of the census for Halifax are missing until you get to 1850 which
      does us no good.

      OUR JOHN WOULD HAVE BEEN ABT. 2 YRS OLD IN 1790

      1790 Beaufort census
      EDWARD BUCK
      1 male over 16
      5 males under 16
      2 females
      1 slave
      FRANCIS BUCK
      2 males over 16
      3 males under 16
      3 females
      ISAAC BUCK JR.
      1 male over 16
      4 females
      ISAAC BUCK SR.
      2 males over 16
      1 male under 16
      4 females
      WILLIAM BUCK
      1 male over 16

      OUR JOHN WOULD HAVE BEEN ABOUT 12 YRS OLD IN 1800

      1800 Beaufort Co., NC
      WILLIAM BUCK
      ISAAC BUCK SR.
      ISAAC BUCK JR.
      NANCY BUCKS (Think she might be widow of Edward or Francis)

      OUR JOHN WOULD HAVE BEEN ABT 22 YEARS OLD IN 1810

      1810 Beaufort Co., NC
      RICHARD BUCK
      ISAAC BUCK
      JAMES BUCK
      ELIZABETH BUCK
      SARAH BUCK
      MARGARET BUCK

      our john would have been abt 32 in 1820 and Elizabeth would have been about
      10 yrs younger

      1820 CENSUS FOR ALL OF NC FOR JOHN BUCK BECAUSE HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN MARRIED
      AND WITH CHILDREN BY THEN.
      JOHN BUCK - RICHMOND CO., NC (this looks like it could be our John. He has
      only 2 sons and his wife fits the right age catagory also.
      2 males under 10
      1 males 26-44
      1 female 16-25
      There is a John Buck who served during the War of 1812. In 1812 John would
      have been 24 yrs old so it's possible this could be our John - coupled with
      the census above showing a family that matches our John's family perfectly.
      John served under:
      Third Regiment - Richmond County
      Pleasent M. Mask, Captain
      info found at:
      Muster Rolls of the Soldiers of the War of 1812 - NC
      Fourth Regiment, Detached from 4th and 14th Brigades

      It could have been in Richmond that our John met and married Elizabeth.

      CENSUS OF PENSIONERS - 1841
      State of North Carolina
      ISAAC BUCK SR. 88 YRS OLD
      Beaufort County, NC

      By 1830 John's three oldest sons would have been born in NC and then the
      next 3 in TN which should make 6 kids born before 1830 :
      William -12 NC
      Edward - 11 NC
      Morgan - 7 NC
      Martha Patsy - 6 TN
      Ailcey - born before 1830 TN
      Martin - born before 1830 TN

      John Buck who is listed in Fayette, TN fits the best. He lives nearly next
      door to Morgan and Ebenezer. His kids match up but the age is too young for
      our John BUT we all know that census takers make mistakes. Also, if John
      was not home and one of the older kids gave the census taker the info they
      may have given the wrong age. Also, when our John moved to AR Ebenezer
      moved there close by and Morgan to Madison, AR so I think this might be the
      best match we can come up with...What do you'all think?

      Important Note:
      The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you would
      like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link above and
      respond on the board.

      ------------------------------

      Message: 4
      Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 05:48:05 -0000
      From: "gc-gateway@..." <gc-gateway@...>
      To: <BUCK-L@...>

      Author: gsdmoonshadow
      Surnames:
      Classification: queries

      Message Board URL:

      http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.buck/2857.3/mb.ashx

      Message Board Post:

      Here's some more info that "may" pertain to our John Buck:

      1784-1787 Tax list for Halifax Co., NC - John Buck
      1769 Early Tax list - Brunswick Co., NC - John Buck
      1786 Halifax Co., NC -John Buck

      1790 Census Edgecomb, Halifax Co, NC shows:
      2 male under 16
      1 male over 16
      2 females
      6 slaves
      This "could" be the father of our John Buck

      1800 census of same person shows:
      2 boys 10-15
      1 male 45 and over
      1 female 45 and over
      4 slaves

      1810 Pitt County - John Buck
      2 males under 10
      1 male 26-44
      1 female under 10
      1 female 16-25
      7 slaves
      1 person over 25

      1820 Pitt
      2 males under 10
      1 males 26-44
      2 females under 10
      1 female 26-44
      1 foreigner not naturalized

      1820 Beaufort, NC
      1 male under 10
      1 male 26-44
      1 female 26-44
      1 slave

      1830 Pitt
      1 male 10-14
      1 male 15-19
      1 female 5-9
      2 female 10-14
      1 slave

      1840 Pitt o
      1 male 20-29
      1 male 30-39
      1 female 20-29
      1 female 50-59
      13 slaves
      Bucks in Pitt Co in 1830
      Frederick
      Aries R 30-39 lives a couple doors down from Hosea
      John 20-30 original shows one female 40-50 but ancestry does not reflect
      this
      Mary
      Hosea
      Patsy
      Rebecca
      Lanier
      Noah
      Servin H or Lurvin H.??
      Bryant

      Important Note:
      The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you would
      like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link above and
      respond on the board.

      of the
      email with no additional text.

      End of BUCK Digest, Vol 8, Issue 65