[genpcfr] [NCLENOIR] Grifton and Tick Bite in Pitt and North Lenoir Counties.

  • Martha Marble
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 1999

      >FYI a relative of mine from Grifton sent me this note: "...The Grifton
      >Relief Fund has been established at First Citizens Bank.
      >It will be used for Grifton residents only. It will be administered by a
      >committee of 3-4 people to benefit those who were flooded. Thanks for your
      >thoughts and prayers. Things are getting better, but the difficult part is
      >just beginning. People are slowly being allowed back into their homes and
      >the reality of the destruction is hitting them. It will take years to
      >rebuild. Many seem hopeless and all seem sad. "
      >
      >I was raised in the Tick Bite Community which was, according to FEMA
      reports,
      >the hardest hit area of Lenoir County. My brothers and I lost maybe two
      >homes and possibly a third which was the Coward/Barwick home built in 1870
      by
      >Albert Coward. My grandmother was born there and it hurts to hear what has
      >happened. I will go down to survey the damage as soon as they will let us
      >in, (apparently they are searching for bodies in some of the homes closer to
      >the Contentnea Creek) which will probably be tomorrow. Will keep you
      >informed.
      >Allen Barwick
      >Raleigh

    • Janice Gurganus
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 1999
        Weldon,

        The last number that I have for disaster shelter information is (252)
        830-2500. You might be able to find out if this family is (or has been) in
        a shelter. A few other numbers that might provide you some help are:
        (252) 850-6377 (Crisis Hotline), 1-888-835-9966 (State of NC Hotline),
        1-800-435-7669 (Red Cross). I hope you can get some answers from some of
        these services.

        Janice Tripp Gurganus
        211 Gloria Street
        Greenville, NC 27858-8627
        janicegurganus@...

        For news of Floyd's disastrous visit to our area:
        http://www.reflector.com/index.html
      • Weldon B. Jolley
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28, 1999
          Do you know of any Jolleys in Pitt County that have been hurt by the
          flooding? If so give me their names. I would like to contact them and see
          if I can help out. Thanks

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/genpcfr