BRILEY FAMILY

  • Martha-Gay Morton
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 23, 2013
      Looking for parents of:
      1] Elizabeth Briley Downs b. ca 1823, m. Kenyon Downs, Junior.
      2] Elkanny Briley [male] b.ca 1827
      3] Allen Briley b. ca 1832
      All probable granddhildren of Jacob Mayo of Pitt County.
      Theory: Daughter of Jacob Mayo m. a -------- Briley.
      These individauls named in an 1849 Pitt Co. deed where they and other heirs [John Mayo; Bennett Mayo, Allen Mayo, Amos Mayo, Lewis Mayo, Nancy Mayo, and Amy Cobb,]
      sell Jacob Mayo's land.
      Possibility that a Jesse Briley b. ca 1825 is another sibling ....... but he was not named in the 1849 deed.
      Also any clues to which Cobb Amy married?

      THANKS!
      MGM

    • rhodenccc
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2013
        Martha, I have a Unicy Briley that married Caleb Moore of Pitt Co.
        A cousin wrote a 50-page narrative on this family. It includes some research on Unicy's family. Happy to send it to you for clues.
        It is too long to post here. I am: rhodenccc at yahoo if you'd like a copy of it. Cheryl Rhoden

        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Martha-Gay Morton <marthagay.morton@...> wrote:

        > Looking for parents of:
        > 1] Elizabeth Briley Downs b. ca 1823, m. Kenyon Downs, Junior.
        > 2] Elkanny Briley [male] b.ca 1827
        > 3] Allen Briley b. ca 1832
        > All probable granddhildren of Jacob Mayo of Pitt County.
        > Theory: Daughter of Jacob Mayo m. a -------- Briley.
        > These individauls named in an 1849 Pitt Co. deed where they and other heirs [John Mayo; Bennett Mayo, Allen Mayo, Amos Mayo, Lewis Mayo, Nancy Mayo, and Amy Cobb,]
        > sell Jacob Mayo's land.
        > Possibility that a Jesse Briley b. ca 1825 is another sibling ....... but he was not named in the 1849 deed.
        > Also any clues to which Cobb Amy married?
        >
        > THANKS!
        > MGM

      • cvbeck27803
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2013
          Hi there. Do u have anything on a Julie oe Julia Briley who married William Webb in the Macclesfield NC area. I think she married an Edwards also. I will look this up when I get home. William would have been born early 1800s I think. TY. Charlotte Varnell Beck
          Sent from my U.S. Cellular BlackBerry� smartphone

          Martha, I have a Unicy Briley that married Caleb Moore of Pitt Co.
          A cousin wrote a 50-page narrative on this family. It includes some research on Unicy's family. Happy to send it to you for clues.
          It is too long to post here. I am: rhodenccc at yahoo if you'd like a copy of it. Cheryl Rhoden

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Martha-Gay Morton <marthagay.morton@...> wrote:

          > Looking for parents of:
          > 1] Elizabeth Briley Downs b. ca 1823, m. Kenyon Downs, Junior.
          > 2] Elkanny Briley [male] b.ca 1827
          > 3] Allen Briley b. ca 1832
          > All probable granddhildren of Jacob Mayo of Pitt County.
          > Theory: Daughter of Jacob Mayo m. a -------- Briley.
          > These individauls named in an 1849 Pitt Co. deed where they and other heirs [John Mayo; Bennett Mayo, Allen Mayo, Amos Mayo, Lewis Mayo, Nancy Mayo, and Amy Cobb,]
          > sell Jacob Mayo's land.
          > Possibility that a Jesse Briley b. ca 1825 is another sibling ....... but he was not named in the 1849 deed.
          > Also any clues to which Cobb Amy married?
          > �
          > THANKS!
          > MGM

        • cheryl rhoden
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2013
            Hi back,  The only thing I have on Brileys (sometimes spelled Braley) is for Unicy Briley Moore that married Caleb.. and a guess as to who her mother was. But, a fairly educated guess. This is from the latish 1700s in NC. I can also send you the narrative I mentioned. Just send me your personal e addy.

            Note to Jewel:  I can send this narrative to you if you like to post in files. If I knew how to do that I would.
            It is fine with my cousin that wrote it to share it. The first part of it does focus on Pitt Co.. then the focus switches to GA as that is where Caleb Moore migrated to.  best, cheryl

            ________________________________
            Hi there.  Do u have anything on a Julie oe Julia Briley who married William Webb in the Macclesfield NC area.  I think she married an Edwards also.  I will look this up when I get home. William would have been born early 1800s I think.  TY. Charlotte Varnell Beck

            Martha, I have a Unicy Briley that married Caleb Moore of Pitt Co.
            A cousin wrote a 50-page narrative on this family. It includes some research on Unicy's family. Happy to send it to you for clues.
            It is too long to post here. I am: rhodenccc at yahoo if you'd like a copy of it. Cheryl Rhoden

            --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Martha-Gay Morton <marthagay.morton@...> wrote:

            > Looking for parents of:
            > 1] Elizabeth Briley Downs b. ca 1823, m. Kenyon Downs, Junior.
            > 2] Elkanny Briley [male] b.ca 1827
            > 3] Allen Briley b. ca 1832
            > All probable granddhildren of Jacob Mayo of Pitt County.
            > Theory: Daughter of Jacob Mayo m. a -------- Briley.
            > These individauls named in an 1849 Pitt Co. deed where they and other heirs [John Mayo; Bennett Mayo, Allen Mayo, Amos Mayo, Lewis Mayo, Nancy Mayo, and Amy Cobb,]
            > sell Jacob Mayo's land.
            > Possibility that a Jesse Briley b. ca 1825 is another sibling ....... but he was not named in the 1849 deed.
            > Also any clues to which Cobb Amy married?
            >
            > THANKS!
            > MGM

            RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:                        http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

            Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical Resources:  http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir%c2%a0
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • mrsc mrsc
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28, 2013
              Cheryl,
              I  have been trying to connect Unicy Briley(maybe aka Eunice) to Lydia Briley 1782-1850 who married William Nichols(b. abt 1775). If the 50-page narrative to which you referred in your message to Martha-G might help, I'd be pleased if you could send it to me as well. (suewillquilt@...)
              Many thanks - this 'Yahoo Group" is Great!. Thanks everyone for having so much and willing to share.  sue

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 28, 2013
                Sue, I forwarded the narrative to you this morning. If you are able to link Unity/Unicy/Eunice to Lydia.. please post it here. We haven't done a lot of research on our Unity yet. Thanks, Cheryl

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 28, 2013
                  Received the 50-page narrative - am enjoying plowing thru it. Will let you know if I have a 'break-thru' moment.  Thanks, heaps    sue

                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2013
                    THANK YOU to all who responded to my BRRILEY request.

                    I think I may be grasping at straws because the parents of these children [Elizabeth, Elkany and Allen] must have died when these children were young and that is the reason they are listed in Jacob MAYO's DOL. I am just guessing that he is their grandfather but can think of no other reason for them to have a 'share' of his estate. It seems  a reasonable theory to think that one of Jacob MAYO's daughters married a BRILEY.

                    I have a deed where William NICHOLS [Senior] sells Abel THOMAS 95 acres on January 22nd 1777 both of PITT County.
                    Abstract: ....37 pounds proclamation money .....95 acres..... beg'n at Peter MAY [this should be MAYO]  corner tree on Coneto Creek...then [?] 68 degrees East 125 pole ...then East and then North to the first station ....part of a grant to Amos ATKINSON and from Atkinson to the said Wm Nichols by deed dated November 1764.........Signed William Nichols and Mary M [her mark] Nichols Witnesses: Simon Gray, Edward Hall. Pitt Co Deed Book F Pages 181-182.

                    I am very familiar with Amos Atkinson's 1761 Granville Grant for 700 acres on the east side of Coneto Creek in Pitt County.
                    Amos Atkinson sold:
                    1]  410 acres of this Grant to Nathan MAYO [who later sold the same 410 acres to Matthew Luter]
                    2] 145 acres to Peter MAYO  [who later sold this 145 acres to Nehemiah DOWNS]
                    3] 145 acres to William NICHOLS Senior [who later sold 50 acres to his son William Junior and the remaining 95 acres to Abel THOMAS]

                    The Atkinson Grant is north of and had a common land line with the William NICHOLS, Senior Granville Grant for 640 acres on the north side of the Tar River, the east side of Coneto Creek, west side of Grindal Pocoson, Pole Cat Pocoson, adjoining Abel THOMAS, WINDOM [Windham], Thomas HATHAWAY [Hattaway], the road,  and the Gardern Pocoson.......Dated October 13th 1783.

                    I have description of this Grant if anyone wants.

                    Thanks again. If you run across any MAYs or MAYOS in the narrative please let me know.

                    MGM

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2013
                      Martha,
                      On CW cards/records an Elkanah and Allen Briley both stated they were born in Pitt County.

                      Sent from my iPhone