Re: [genpcncfir] Check out Old Maps OnLine,,,,,,,Question

  • Barb Lantto
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2012
      Thanks Jewelle

      That is just what I needed today.Old Maps.I need one of Chickamauga Georgia emcompassing Chatanooga and surrounding area.

      My Elder has me looking for the connection between a Rebecca Gordon Britton of SC and me.That is a bucket of worms. I know now that the Brittons began in Old Winchester VA aka Opequon Indian village.And ended up at Britton Plantation next to "Indian Town, SC"

      The problem is: the GORDON's had an agreement with the Cherokee to not divulge the connection between the Gordon's and the Cherokee for the benifit of both.

      So little is in writing.

      Today I know that the Brittons had a stop over at Lee And Gordon Mills ( it is still there) that is connected to the Gordon and Lee family at Chickamauga, Georgia.The Great Chickamouaga Battle took place right there.    It is where General and later Governor John B Gordon grew up. Cousin to General Robert E Lee.

      Does any one here have information about a Thomas Nelson who married Rebecca Gordon Britton ?

      Or the list of SC Chickamauga Confederates?

      My Elder is certain that at least one, was my, or Rebecca's BRITTON or Nelson's  relative.

      For those who don't know, "Rebecca" is the English Christain name for Pocahontas ( Matoaca) who was Powhatan-Cherokee.

      Thanks
      BARB
      Granddaughter of Robert Lee Gordon