[genpcfr] Hurricane Aftermath Report for Greenville, NC

  • Janice Gurganus
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 1999
      Dear Friends,

      Please forgive me for using our PCFR mail list for this report, but I have
      had inquiry from so many of you as to conditions here that I thought this
      the most efficient way to answer.

      So much of our area is underwater; many people have lost homes, family
      members, and pets. My sister, my stepdaughter, and I have just returned
      from hours of delivering toiletries, bedding, and clothing to pick-up
      centers. It's heartwarming to see the response of our community and many,
      many others from outside our community, and from outside our state. At one
      church that we visited this morning, volunteers were preparing food for the
      people in the local shelters; I spoke with two gentlemen from Missouri who
      had driven 18-wheelers full of food to this church. They told me that many
      North Carolinians responded to their communities and to communities in
      Kansas when they were recently flooded, so they didn't hesitate to come
      here. As I looked around and saw all of the busy volunteers, I said to my
      sister, "This is God to me." What a wonderful feeling to be part of this
      volunteer effort. I just wish I could do more.

      At the present time, we were told that plenty of clothes have been donated.
      Current needs are bed linens--pillows, pillow cases, sheets,
      blankets--mattresses (air mattresses, also), cots, towels, soap, shampoo and
      conditioner, sponges, toothbrushes and toothpaste, disposable razors and
      shaving cream, personal feminine products, incontinence pads, and
      re-closable plastic storage bags for packaging these items for dispensing.
      There are a lot of infants in the shelters, so bassinets, portable cribs,
      and bedding for these, etc. could be useful. Helicopters are airlifting
      these items to shelters across the river.

      A great need after the water subsides, will be housing. Our University
      (East Carolina University) has closed for the week and I've been told that
      the students who could not get home have been taken in by local citizens.

      Some area TV stations that have provided excellent coverage can be found at:
      www.wnct.com (Greenville, NC), www.witn.com (Washington, NC), and
      www.wral-tv.com (Raleigh, NC).

      The river should crest today or tomorrow (conflicting reports on this). We
      now have electricity and water at our house (and no storm damage at all),
      but are being told that we may lose both again soon. The sky is overcast
      and more rain is threatening us.

      Your prayers are--and will continue to be--appreciated.

      Janice Gurganus
      PCFR Assistant Secretary
      211 Gloria Street
      Greenville, NC 27858-8627