Fw: Social Security Death Index will no longer be available to genealogists

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2012
      Hello Group.....
      Read the below interesting article from Kathy Sullivan......
      This SHOULD NOT be allowed to happen.......
      Jewelle

      jewelle@...
      jewellebaker@...

      Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 7:44 PM
      Subject: Social Security Death Index will no longer be available to
      genealogists

> [...]
      > was confiscated by a crook and used for nefarious purposes. He is a
      > grieving father who refuses to acknowledge that the crook's access to
      > his child's Social Security is a failure of the government IRS agency
      > instead of a plot by **genealogists.* *His testimony can be read at the
      > link given below (Michael Hait's blog) and his response to Michael
      > Hait's blog is also available there under "Comments."
      >
      > For a summary of the background story on this legislation and links to
      > original testimony at the Congressional hearing, see
      > <http://michaelhait.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/ssdi-hearing/>
      > I especially recommend this link for clarity and focus on the issue
      > <http://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog/2012/01/29/ssdi-call-to-action/>
      >
      > Rootsweb already has bowed to Congressional pressure and has removed the
      > SSDI from free access. Pay-for-view sites (Ancestry.com for example)
      > continue to have the privilege of offering it at this moment in time.
      >
      > Genealogists who do not care about the Social Security Death Index can
      > to close the SSDI database is only a small part of a broad movement to
      > remove public access to **all** vital records (births, marriages, and
      > deaths). Even though all those records are tax-payer supported, the
      > theory is that we the public are not entitled to access.
      >
      > If you do care about this issue of access to tax-paid public records,
      > there is an online petition addressing the failure of the IRS to prevent
      > illegal use of Social Security Numbers. The petition does not address
      > the larger issue of genealogists' access to public record but does focus
      > on the grieving father's circumstance, and explains how the IRS could
      > have prevented the father's current situation. This petition is
      > sponsored by the National Genealogical Society, the Federation of
      > Genealogical Societies, the International Association of Jewish
      > Genealogical Society, the Association of Professional Genealogists, the
      > Board for Certification of Genealogists, and the American Society
      > Genealogists.
      >
      > To read the petition and decide for yourself whether to participate, go
      > here to the White House government petitions website: <http://wh.gov/khE>
      > Instructions for signing up at WhiteHouse.gov and signing the petition
      > are here: <http://fgs.org/pdf/rpac_petition.pdf>
      >
      > After reading the petition and deciding that you do wish to make your
      > voice heard, the White House requires that petitioners register through
      > a relatively simple procedure. These additional steps for registering an
      > opinion are irritating, but that's the way the world works today.
      >
      > I realize that some readers will delete this message as "not relevant"
      > to their personal interests. And some webmasters will deem this message
      > as "off topic." But in my view, this information is both relevant and on
      > topic, because how will we as conscientious historians be able to
      > research families in original records if we are denied access to those?

    • rhodenccc
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2012
        We were discussing this on another site. At that time, it was believed that ancestry would continue to offer the index and omit the last ten years. That preceded the Feb 12 hearing mentioned in your post. So, I'm not sure if it is still true.