Re: Fw: The Family History Society of ENC hosts A Visit With the Vikings! 21 Jan 2012

  • Betty
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2012
      The program was excellent. I will post a few of my pictures online soon. The Scandinavian Folk Dancing music reminded me of our river music as the flow was smooth and graceful. The dancers were dressed in traditional bunads. From the lecture of the Styron family, the lasting fact will be new knowledge of the Bluetooth. The surnames naming used by the Nordic people being patronymic and farm naming was summarized.
      A demonstration was given showing the weapon use and influences on the English and American cultures. We were treated to a display of Nordic treasures from members of the audience and Sons of Norway including pictures, paintings, banads, beads, food items including Danish cakes and cookies which were served at our coffee break.
      A most wonderful exhibit with silver coins was displayed by the Sons of Norway and Daniel Murphy display of weapons including the sensory smells of the times.
      David French and The Family History Society of Eastern North Carolina are to be thanked for bring Eastern NC such wonderful programs. Thanks David.
      Betty

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Jewelle Baker" <jewellebaker@...> wrote:

      > Hello Group...
      > Those of you in 'riding-distance' of New Bern, N.C. will be interested in the below information .......
      > ..... should you attend.... please share your experiences with all of us!!!
      > .....unfortunately... I'll be unable to attend.
      > Jewelle
      >
      > jewelle@...
      > jewellebaker@...
      > Researching: (Main Capitalized)
      > BAKER, Barrow, BEAMAN, BLOUNT, Bonner, Bours, Braxton, CANNON, Carraway,
      > COX, Chester, Dail, ELLIS, Faircloth, Gardner, HANCOCK, HARDEE, Hardison,
      > Harris, Harper, Harrington, Heath, Hollyman (all sp), JACKSON, Johnson,
      > Jones, Letchworth, Manning, McGLOHON (all sp), McGOWAN, McKeel, Mills,
      > Mitchell, Mumford, PHILLIPS, Price, Shaw, Smith, Sumrell, Stocks, Stokes,
      > Tyson, Vandiford, Walls, Walston, Weeks, Wilkerson, WINGATE, Wetherington,
      > Worthington, plus ++++
      >
      > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In Research
      > (Serving all Eastern/Coastal NC Counties)
      >
      > eMail scan by NAV & certified Virus Free

    • David A. French
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2012
        Hi Betty and Jewelle,

        I appreciate you posting on the Pitt County mailing list about the Viking
        event.

        Betty so glad that you were able to join us and had a good time and thank
        you for the compliments and the excellent recap of the event. Look forward
        to seeing your pictures.

        Sincerely,

        David

        www.encfamilies.org