Rev. War Pension File of John Bryan/t (part 4)

  • Tracy Stancil
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2011
      State of North Carolina
      Pitt County

      On the 28th day of January 1846 personally appeared before me Marshall Dickinson one of the justices of the peace for the county aforesaid Dinah Whitehurst aged about (blank) years who being duly sworn according to law, states that she is the sister of Nancy Bryant the widow of John Bryant (late a pensioner of the United States), that she was present at the marriage of the said Nancy to the said John Bryant, that they were married by John Bowers Esq. deceased, that the date she cannot state, nor can she say how many years ago it is since that marriage took place- but she remembers that she herself was married some months after her sister's marriage, and that her own first born child Reuben Whitehurst was born after her marriage and some months after the first child of her said sister (Dinah Bryant now the wife of Henry Moore) was born- that the said Dinah Bryant now Dinah Moore was born some months after the marriage of the said John Bryant and the said Nancy- she further states that she does not recollect the age of her said son Reuben Whitehurst, having had thirteen children she could not keep their ages in her memory- that a record of their births was kept in a Bible, and the magistrate has read to me from that record these words "Reuben Whitehurst was born September 13, 1787"- and she believes that was put down correct- that she does not know her own age and declines making any conjectures about it- She further states that her said sister has not married since the death of her late husband, but still remains his widow.
      Dinah (X her mark) Whitehurst

      Sworn to and subscribed on the day and year above written before me Marshall Dickinson JP

      State of North Carolina
      Pitt County

      On the 28th day of January 1846 personally appeared before me Marshall Dickinson one of the justices of the peace for the County of Pitt aforesaid, Dinah Moore, aged about 59 years, who being duly sworn according to law, doth on her oath state that she is a daughter of John Bryant, deceased, and Nancy his wife, now his widow. That when she was young her parents told her that she was born on the 10th day of January and that she was of such an age- this was often repeated especially when my birthday came round, and I have always kept my age from year to year in that way, but the particular year of our Lord when I was born I do not recollect hearing mentioned- Reconing (sic) from the above information given me by my said parents and I have kept it from year to year to this time. I was fifty nine years of age the 10th day of this present month of January- I remember when I was young I often heard my mother say that she was married in her nineteenth year and my aunt Dinah Whitehurst say that she was married in her seventeenth year, that my mother was married before my said aunt, and that I was seven or eight months older than Reuben Whitehurst, the first child of my aunt. These things were often talked on in the family and I cannot well be much mistaken in my recollection of them- She further states that her father John Bryant died the 24th day of February five years ago this coming February, and that my mother is still alive and remains his widow.
      Dinah (X her mark) Moore

      Sworn to and subscribed on the day and year above written before me Marshall Dickinson JP

      State of North Carolina
      Pitt County

      On the 2cnd day of February 1846 personally appeared before me, Marshall Dickinson one of the justices of the peace for the county aforesaid, Reuben Whitehurst of said county, aged about 58 years, who being duly sworn according to law, doth on his oath declare that to the best of his knowledge and belief he was fifty eight years of age on the 13th day of September last, that he came to the knowledge of it in the following manner viz. that my parents, when I was young told me that I was born on that day (in 1787) and my father kept a regular account of the births of his children in a book, and after I was grown a new Bible was purchased, and I copied the births from that book (which was written in my father's hand writing) into some blank leaves in the Bible, my name being the first is there stated as being born the 13th day of September 1787, which I believe is now in the possession of my mother, Dinah Whitehurst, now a widow- I also remember hearing while young, from my parents and the family, that my aunt Nancy Bryant or Bryan was married some months before her own marriage, to her late husband John Bryant or Bryan and that Dinah Bryant, now Dinah Moore, and daughter of the said John Bryant and his wife the said Nancy, was born some months (I think seven or eight) before my birth. I do not recollect the precise date of my said aunt's marriage to said Bryant, as told me in my youth, but I think I can confidently state, from the information I then gained as above, that the said Nancy Bryant was married to the said John Bryant in the year 1786, and more than fifty nine years ago. The said John Bryant died some years since, and the said Nancy has not married since, but still remains his widow.
      Signed Reuben Whitehurst

      Sworn to and subscribed on the day and year above written before me Marshall Dickinson JP