Rev. War Pesnion File of John Bryan/t (part 3)

  • Tracy Stancil
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2011
      Pages 4 and 5

      State of North Carolina
      Pitt County

      On the 27th day of January 1846 personally appeared before me, Marshall Dickinson one of the justices of the peace for the said County of PItt, Nancy Bryant a resident of said county aged about seventy eight years, who being first duly sworn according to law, doth on her oath, make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the provision made by the act of congress passed or approved June 17, 1844 and thereafter entitled "an act to continue the pensions of certain widows".
      That she is the widow of John Bryant, who was a private in the Revolutionary War and who drew a pension of forty six dollars and sixty seven cents per annum from the 4th of March1831 as she believes until the 4th of September 1840, but died before the 4th of March following- He proved his services in the army by John Anderson and Gideon Petit as she thinks, both of whom are dead, and she is not able to prove them at this time but refers to the record in the pension office in his case. She further swears that she was married to the said John Bryant about sixty years ago, the precise date she cannot recollect. Her oldest child born afterwards is nearly sixty years of age according to her recollection, but she cannot state the facts precisely- She has no knowledge of any records by which the date of her marriage can be ascertained but she states positively that she was married to the said John Bryant more than fifty eight years ago- that her husband the said John Bryant died in February 1841 the day of the month she cannot recollect- that she was not married to him prior to his leaving the service, but the marriage took place previous to the first of January seventeen hundred and ninety four, viz: at the time above stated- that she has not since been married but still remains his widow.
      Nancy (X her mark) Bryant

      Sworn to and subscribed on the day and year above written before
      Marshall Dickinson JP

      The said Nancy Bryant further states that she is old and infirm that she cannot conveniently attend court. She thinks it would be dangerous to others and then it being 16 or 17 miles from her home.
      Nancy (X her mark) Bryant

      Sworn to and subscribed the day above written before me and I certify that I believe the woman is too infirm to attend court in this season of the year.
      Marshall Dickinson JP