Re: [genpcncfir] Pulled Candy

  • mpbamma@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2011
      Putting a small amount of corn starch on your hands while pulling , what
      we use to call vinegar taffy. My mom would always make a batch of the when
      the five of us were coming down with colds. It helped.Sherri

      In a message dated 9/29/2011 3:16:39 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      wibbach@... writes:

      Lisa, we still make "Pulled Candy" on rare special occasions. I keep a
      cookbook of our family recipes and have a few stories about some. I will share
      with you our family recipe for Pulled Candy as given to me my mama, Lizzie
      Mae Cobb, age 87,of Saratoga, NC and a member of Friendship Church in
      Greene County, NC. The recipe appears rather long, but not hard at all. We have
      taken each step as if you were a first time cook. Enjoy!

      Pulled Candy
      (As told to me by my mama, Lizzie Mae Owens Cobb, age 87 this past July,
      Betty Cobb Batchelor)

      2 cups granulated sugar
      1 cup apple cider vinegar
      few drops of pure vanilla
      butter or margarine (butter a meat platter while mixture is cooking)
      flour for dusting (dust the cabinet top for the candy rope)

      Mix sugar and vinegar in a 1 1/2 quart sauce pan. Stir until sugar
      dissolves.(I use a wooden spoon.) Bring to boil over med /high high temperature.
      The sugar/vinegar mixture will rise or boil-up in the pan at first. This is
      when you will turn the heat to medium high. Stir only if necessary while in
      this cooking stage. Cook until mixture starts to reduce and when spoon is
      lifted from mixture and it starts to spins a thread* when mixture glazed
      spoon is lifted from the pot. Check doneness by pouring a small amount(a few
      drops) into a glass/cup of ice cold water. Take your fingers and feel a
      ball, it should form a firm hard ball but not be sticky**. (290 to 300 degrees
      hard ball temperature for the newer cooks). Add a few drops of vanilla.

      Pour hot syrup into your buttered meat platter. Let cool until you can
      handle it. It will still be hot, but you can lift it off the platter. ( I
      remember mama using a fork to lift and turn the edges into the center to
      speeding the cooling process.)

      Pulling process:
      When mixture has cooled enough to handle, butter your hands well with the
      butter. (The area of the hand which will come in contact with the candy.)
      Keep the butter close by so you can continually keep the hands buttered as
      you pulling the candy. It is really nice if you have two people pulling
      together. You are going to work air into the candy by pulling and twisting the
      candy. Like twisting or wringing-out a dish cloth is the way you will get
      twist into the candy and will keep if from getting string while pulling.
      Continue pulling and twisting until candy turns white. Keep those hands well
      buttered to prevent hand from blistering. When white or too hard to pull
      stretch like a twisted rope (add twist while stretching) onto a cabinet top
      dusted with flour to complete the cooling.

      Cutting candy
      Some people use scissors, but I used a knife. The knife can be used two
      ways. You can cut the candy into small 1 inch pieces.
      A second method with the knife
      Take the back side of a case knife while lifting the candy ropes and tap
      the candy with the knife. Now this makes a little mess as the candy chips
      will fall on the floor. It just depends where you are if you should use this
      method.

      Store on flour dusted wax paper in a air tight tin, that is if you have
      any left over after the family have all tasted. <grin>

      Tips:

      1)Mama ( Letha Evans Owens, b.1906 d.1991,) did not use vanilla flavoring
      in her pulled candy. If you like the strong vinegar tart taste, omit the
      vanilla. We started using vanilla in the early forties.

      2) Not as successful on a rainy day

      *Spin a thread: Small amount of mixture is left in spoon. Hold spoon over
      pot and allow the thick syrup to pour from spoon. When the last of the
      syrup is leaving the spoon there should be a thread like look to the syrup
      leaving the spoon. Thus saying spinning a thread.

      **Cracked: the mixture sounds brittle when struck against the side of the
      cup; it can be broken by crushing between the fingers