BRILEY

  • Martha-Gay Morton
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2011
      Pitt County Deed Book DD/EE pps 167-168
      Division of the Lands of William BRILEY, deceased
      November Term 1827/February --th 1828
      737 acres on Marks Swamp, and the Spring Branch,
      Lot #1 Benjamin BRILEY 348 acres
      Lot #2 Elihu BRILEY 389 acres
      Adjacent land owners: James SHIVERS, and BROWN or CROWN.
      Questions?
      1]Who were the spouses of these 3 men.
      2] Were Benjamin and Elihu William's sons? Brothers?
      3] Who were their children?
      As always I appreciate your help.
      Martha-Gay

    • Martha-Gay Morton
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 10, 2011
        Bill, Judy and Sue,
        Thanks for your response to my querry and for your information.
        This is my problem:
        Pitt County Deed Book MM page 252
        Cannan DOWNS and wife to Robert Belcher & P. SUGG
        11th day of January 1849
        John Mayo, Lewis Mayo, Amos Mayo, Nancy Mayo, Amy Cobb, Littleberry Thigpen, Kenaan Downs & wife, Elizabeth, Elkann Briley, & Allen Briley being the lawful heirs of Jacob Mayo, deceased Except L.B. Thigpen who represents Bennett Mayo one of the aforesaid heirs.....
        $700.00 .....137 1/2 acres on the west side of Little Coneto  ......being the lands which belonged to the late Jacob Mayo.........except the dower right of Margaret Mayo, widow of the said Jacob Mayo.......There are no witness signatures..... Signed: John Mayo. L.B. Thigpen, Amos Mayo, Lewis Mayo, Nancy Mayo, Amy Cobb, Elkany Briley, Canaan Downs, Allen Briley, Elizabeth Downs..........
        Canaan is actually Kenyon Downs son of Nehemiah Downs. Kenyon and Elizabeth had 7 children. 3 of their children lived past 1915 and have death certificates which name their mother as Betty BRILEY. In the 1850 Pitt County census Elizabeth Downs maiden name
        is listed as MAYO. I believe she was a Briley and sister to Elkannah [or however you spell it] and Allen Briley.  Also in the 1850 census Allen is listed as a Mayo, living with Margaret and Nancy. I am trying to figure out if Elizabeth, Elkannah and Allen were grandchildren of Jacob and his 1st wife [Margaret was his 2nd wife, according to a census review and their only child was Nancy] OR were they Margaret's children by her 1st husband [assuming she had a 1st husband]
        My guess is that they were the children of one of Jacob's daughters who died. Although ..........it is unusual for grandchildren to get the same share as the children.
        Usually grandshildren divide their parent's share.
        THOUGHTS and THANKS.
        MGM

      • mrsc mrsc
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 10, 2011
          can not help you at all with the un-ravel.   sue

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 12, 2011
            Martha-Gay,

            1850 United States Federal Census
            North Carolina > Pitt > Andrews
            1169-1176 John Mayo 53 Appy Mayo 53
            Frances R Mayo 22
            Clannan Briley 21 female [guess she is the Mayo md to Elkana with child Jesse]
            Mary Mayo 17
            Elkana Briley 23 male
            Jesse W Briley 2

            1860 United States Federal
            North Carolina > Pitt
            235-224 James Mayo 61 Appey 61
            236-225 E L Briley 34 C A Briley 30
            J W Briley 10 [Jesse W] L A E Briley 5 L J Briley 2

            1850 United States Federal Census
            North Carolina > Pitt > Stancills
            192-194 Margaret Mayo 60 Nancy Mayo 22 Allen Mayo 18
            -195 Howel Thomas
            -196 Ollen Cobb
            198-200 Littleberry Thigpen
            200-202 Bennet Mayo

            1860 United States Federal Census
            North Carolina > Pitt
            230-220 Julia Downs
            232-221 Kinion Douns 37 Elizebeth Douns 36 Robert Douns 12 Wiley Douns 10 Jesse Douns 10 J W Douns 8 A M Douns 6 W E Douns 4

            1880 United States Federal Census
            North Carolina > Pitt > Belvoir > District 122
            2-2 Kinion Downs 57 Elizabeth Downs 56 Winnie E. Downs 22 James A. Downs 19

            Sue