Re: [genpcncfir] DNA Testing

  • Suzanne Carpenter
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 6, 2011
      Shade,  go to Family Tree DNA website.  On upper right side type in your surname Barnes to find a  Barnes project.  When you get to the site, it will give you pricing (which includes a discount for being part of a surname project)  I would recommend a YDNA 37 marker test to begin.  Going from memory - a 37 marker test runs about $150.00.  You might wait to see if they have a Valentine's special.

      If you need further help I will be glad to answer.  Email me at buddyandsue15@...

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 6, 2011
        I would suggest FamilyTreeDNA.com . They have the largest database of
        people who have tested so far and the most surname projects.

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 7, 2011
          That's true, Stuart. In my case I was all excited with a twelve-marker match of my father and someone in another Baker group only to find out that that was not our group at all. And we matched someone with another surname and when we carried it out to 67 we were still a match. He knew his true grandfather was a Baker. On the other hand wematched other people closely with different surname but in 37 marker test did not hold up. Paula

          Sent from my iPhone

        • cheryl rhoden
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 7, 2011
            If you want to read some really informative information on DNA testing, google
            Roberta Estes. I can actually comprehend what she's saying.
            And, her analysis on the Moore DNA test results is quite good and posted on the
            message boards at either RootsWeb or Geneology.

            best, Cheryl

            ________________________________
            The 12 marker match is actually valid if there are other indicators,
            like in my case.

            I made an 11 of 12 match with someone who shared the last name and was
            supposed to be cousin, confirming that indeed we do share a
            relationship which I had information on. This added a level of
            confidence to my 5th great grandfather, as he is also the fourth great
            grandfather of this cousin.

            Obviously, a stronger match with more markers is better, but the 12
            marker level is useful in itself.

            On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 07:55:59 -0600
            Paula Baker <paulabaker69@...> wrote:

            > Shade. You have to test at least 37 markers to know that you have a
            > match. That's been our experience. And they report the markers as
            > they finish them. So if you get a 12 or 25-marker match, ignore it
            > until all 37 are in.
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Feb 7, 2011, at 7:24 AM, "Amaryllis \"Amy\" W. Hunt"
            > <amaryllish@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I thought ft (family tree) was owned by Ancestry and it was a
            > > combined effort. I'm so sorry if I have misled anyone. My mistake.
            > > Thank you Paula for sharing this info. Amy

          • woofer95828
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 7, 2011
              I had myself and my half-nephew tested by Genetree, and can't send the results anywhere outside of Genetree because other companies test differently. How valid would you consider Genetree?
              Thanks,
              Mary

              --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Paula Baker <paulabaker69@...> wrote:

              > Shade. You have to test at least 37 markers to know that you have a match. That's been our experience. And they report the markers as they finish them. So if you get a 12 or 25-marker match, ignore it until all 37 are in.
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Feb 7, 2011, at 7:24 AM, "Amaryllis \"Amy\" W. Hunt" <amaryllish@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I thought ft (family tree) was owned by Ancestry and it was a combined effort. I'm so sorry if I have misled anyone. My mistake. Thank you Paula for sharing this info. Amy

            • gwen mitchell
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 7, 2011
                Hi,
                I wonder if any of you will have any insight into this. My dad is a holocaust survivor but because of some injuries is not exactly sure what his real surname is. Is this DNA testing any good at helping people establish that or do you need to already know your surname inorder to have something to compare it to?

                Thanks
                Gwen Mitchell

                With God all things are possible.

                I had myself and my half-nephew tested by Genetree, and can't send the results anywhere outside of Genetree because other companies test differently. How valid would you consider Genetree?
                Thanks,
                Mary

                --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Paula Baker <paulabaker69@...> wrote:

                > Shade. You have to test at least 37 markers to know that you have a match. That's been our experience. And they report the markers as they finish them. So if you get a 12 or 25-marker match, ignore it until all 37 are in.
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Feb 7, 2011, at 7:24 AM, "Amaryllis \"Amy\" W. Hunt" <amaryllish@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I thought ft (family tree) was owned by Ancestry and it was a combined effort. I'm so sorry if I have misled anyone. My mistake. Thank you Paula for sharing this info. Amy

              • Linda Dail
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 8, 2011
                  Familytreemaker has the largest database that connects people.  It is entirely possible that you could connect if another male in your dad's family has contributed DNA.  Familytreedna has a large Jewish database.

                  Linda Dail - Researching: ALLEN, ALEXANDER, BERRY, DAIL,DEAL, EXUM, FORREST, HASELDEN,HUNNINGS, McCOTTER, SANDERS, SPEIGHT,TURNAGE, WILLIAMS

                  From: woofer95828 <rvndwell@...>

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 8, 2011
                    Gwen, it could help him with that. As I said, a man in our Baker group did just that.

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 8, 2011
                      My Goodness Gwen ,,, what an amazing story and search you have ahead. First ,,
                      my ,, I'm not even really how to put ,, just the deepest of condolences  and
                      that doesn't seem like enough ,, to your Dad and your family.

                      If your father knows the camp where he was held ,, you may be able to get the
                      surnames from those records. And then see if there are DNA groups that match
                      that surname. It is very important to have your Dad remember everything he can
                      remember ,, absolutely everything. Sometimes ,, I know this from conversations
                      with my 85-year-old Mom ,, you have to go back and back again. Sometimes ,, just
                      talking about it helps them bring back memories.  Just the village or where he
                      thought he lived .. then you can narrow down the surname group possibilities.

                      There are likely a lot more people out in the world of DNA that can help you
                      more than I can. And, I think there are many that help the families of Holocaust
                      servivors. I also think you need to narrow your surname group search. Not sure
                      if this helped you at all .. and my warmest wishes to you in your search. Cheryl
                      Rhoden