Pitt County Cemetery Books

  • William Kittrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2011
      This book lists all the cemeteries that I was aware of in Pitt County.
      Mary and I worked on this project for 5 years. It is a two book set
      with 870 cemeteries and 45,000 names. Both books together total
      1700 pages and are indexed. These books consist of four surveys.
      One by Jeannette Cox St. Amand in the 1950s, Lill Jackson in the
      1940s, WPA Survey in 1939-1941 and our own survey. The WPA
      Survey did not list any deaths after 1914 as they were to be
      recorded in Register of Deeds offices after that time.

      Since the books were printed I have been given about 25 more
      cemeteries to check. I have done about 15 of them. These were
      ones we were not aware of when doing the survey.

      The Pitt County Historical Society published the books. Mary and
      I do not receive any money from the sale of the books. Our time
      was volunteer and all expenses were paid by us. (gas, writing
      materials, printer toner and printing paper)

      Bill

    • Marcia McLawhorn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2011
        Bill,
        The material contained in your books is fabulous.
        However, [ONLY] if I got this information on a DVD, I'd give up my printed copy.
        Marcia

        --- On Fri, 1/28/11, William Kittrell
        Subject: [genpcncfir] Pitt County Cemetery Books

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2011
          Marcia, you certainly have the right idea- I don't have a copy of "the book",
          but put my name on the list for a CD or DVD.   ....and a big thank you for all
          the trouncing thru so many cemeteries for information.  sue

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 29, 2011
            Does it include the George G. Perkins cemetery? My cousin unearthed it
            during his foot time in the area.