RE: [genpcncfir] Merry Christmas

  • jow
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 22, 2010
      Marcia,

      Your problem with FTM make me very glad I swiched to Legacy. I feel it is
      much more user friendly.

      Jean W.

      _____

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 23, 2010
        How much memory do you have on your computer? Sounds like you don't have enough. These days to work smoothly you need at least 4 gig memory, 6 is even better.
        Faye Hays

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 23, 2010
          Marcia, I gave up on FTM when the 2009 version came out and, while "converting" my database to the new format, trashed much of the data. In addition, it dropped many of the features which I enjoyed, such as being able to access the FTM data disks from within the program. It appeared to be a "stripped down" version of FTM, intended for people who were just beginning in genealogy, rather than those of use who had been using FTM for years. Not exactly rewarding to previously loyal customers!

          I've gone with The Master Genealogist, which, while it has a fairly steep learning curve, is an excellent program. My database only has about 7000 people in it so far (I have a separate database for my husband's family), but it does open up very quickly.

          Margaret Lindsey Smith
        • Brenda Stocks
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 23, 2010
            I agree with Margaret. I bought FTM 2009 when I got my last new computer because I had heard FTM Version 16 was incompatable with Vista. I could not download my backup data discs into FTM 2009 because it would not accept the backup format from Version 16. I did enter some data and HATED everything about FTM 2009. I then found on the FTM message board that so many were complaining about the FTM 2009 that FTM offered a free PATCH download that took care of the incompatability of Version 16 (the best they ever made as far as I'm concerned) with Vista. I downloaded the Patch and my trusty old FTM Version 16 and everything works fine. I am not super computer savvy, just enough to get by with my genealogy, the internet and storing files. When something doesn't work I usually have to call for help, but I did manage to get back to a workable system in this instance. :-)
            Brenda

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 23, 2010
              I use FTM V16 too. I downloaded the patch and it works fine. I hate the all over the screen mess of FTM 2008, my last upgrade that I put on and took off.
              FTM V16 lets you store 250 pages per name and I love this feature.
              I, however, don't use the FTM backup version but always export to a ged file because a ged file is accepted by any genealogy program. I have backup geds on several media since I have about 76,000 people in mine from Nash, Wilson, and Edgecombe Counties. Most are connected in some way.
              I have other ged family files that I sometimes look at, but not in a long time.
              I love being able to find what I want quickly in V16 and will use it until it can be used no more. But with its popularity, I think they will do something about a version that will be used as long as "lots" of people request it.
              Faye Hays

            • dmbohall29@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 23, 2010
                Marcia,

                I have 2011 Family Tree and it is working good on our Dell computer. We
                did have trouble with 2010 until we downloaded the update for 2010.

                Doris Bohall

                In a message dated 12/22/2010 3:54:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                marcia_mclawhorn@... writes:

[...]

                file to
[...]

              • Rae Jean
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 23, 2010
                  Margaret
                  Welcome to TMG (The Master Genealogist)!
                  I have been a very happy user since 1999 when I transferred my data from
                  UFT (Ultimate Family Tree).
                  Will enjoy reading your messages on the TMG List.

                  ~ Rae Jean
                  Visiting the Past http://home.earthlink.net/~rjfamily/