Merry Christmas

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 22, 2010
      Merry Christmas to all!

      A question for the Group.
      Slightly off topic ...

      I don't do genealogy as much as before, mostly because of a high level of
      frustration that I have with my new laptop and the 2010 version of FTM.

      History: I tripped over my laptop's wire, pulling it off of the table. [No data loss,
      I had a backup.] My son generously purchased & sent me a new laptop that
      he thought would be very good processor. It would have worked good with my
      2005 FTM program, but it's Vista operating system required I upgrade and I
      purchased the Family Tree Maker 2010.

      My 1st ISSUE is the way the FTM2010 processes its database, which is quite
      different than my old version did. I think it brings the entire database into RAM
      for some of its processes - like building an index or merging two individuals -
      making very large files very cumbersome. (IE my 80,000 database file takes 5
      long hours to open and build its an index.) NOT FUN!!!

      On top of that, the laptop [has a single core] goes to 100% usage during these
      processes. To solve this, I selected only direct ancestors, reducing my file to
      8,000 (10%) and reducing the processing time is a mere 30 minutes.
      Still NOT FUN!  And now, I have two copies of some people!

      My 2nd ISSUE is that FTM2010 made other signifant improvements, which has
      taken me months and months to edit my smaller databases to correct. I've started
      converting the 8,000 file, but the 80,000 one is an overwhelming task still looming.

      One such task is straightening my address field data, which changed from one
      line to two lines. The first line is City/State/Country, which is verified by FTM.
      The second line holds local addresses, as well as, comments [like "WWII action"]
      which I have used extensively.

      Now, don't get me wrong, the end result looks like it will be much better
      product than before. Especially in finding specific references quickly.

      My 3rd ISSUE is how frequently FTM stops running as a task on my desktop
      (but is still running on the computer using 91% CPU). I must wait till it ends
      before restarting FTM. I have no idea whether this is a computer issue or a
      application issue.

      I don't know if any of you have faced these issues. If you have, how have you
      overcomed them? Or perhaps like me, you've been sucking it up.

      Here's the Question  - - - -
      Will a dual core [or larger] machine solve my processing issues? OR
      Assuming there's no hope for this version of FTM,

      I should buy FTM2011, which fixes the CPU usage and crashing problems? OR
      There's no hope any of these FTMs, I should buy a different program. OR
      I should do both or something else ...

      Waiting to hear from you - Merry Christmas, Marcia

    • jow
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 22, 2010
        Marcia,

        Your problem with FTM make me very glad I swiched to Legacy. I feel it is
        much more user friendly.

        Jean W.

        _____

      • jonfa30@embarqmail.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 23, 2010
          How much memory do you have on your computer? Sounds like you don't have enough. These days to work smoothly you need at least 4 gig memory, 6 is even better.
          Faye Hays

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 23, 2010
            Marcia, I gave up on FTM when the 2009 version came out and, while "converting" my database to the new format, trashed much of the data. In addition, it dropped many of the features which I enjoyed, such as being able to access the FTM data disks from within the program. It appeared to be a "stripped down" version of FTM, intended for people who were just beginning in genealogy, rather than those of use who had been using FTM for years. Not exactly rewarding to previously loyal customers!

            I've gone with The Master Genealogist, which, while it has a fairly steep learning curve, is an excellent program. My database only has about 7000 people in it so far (I have a separate database for my husband's family), but it does open up very quickly.

            Margaret Lindsey Smith
          • Brenda Stocks
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 23, 2010
              I agree with Margaret. I bought FTM 2009 when I got my last new computer because I had heard FTM Version 16 was incompatable with Vista. I could not download my backup data discs into FTM 2009 because it would not accept the backup format from Version 16. I did enter some data and HATED everything about FTM 2009. I then found on the FTM message board that so many were complaining about the FTM 2009 that FTM offered a free PATCH download that took care of the incompatability of Version 16 (the best they ever made as far as I'm concerned) with Vista. I downloaded the Patch and my trusty old FTM Version 16 and everything works fine. I am not super computer savvy, just enough to get by with my genealogy, the internet and storing files. When something doesn't work I usually have to call for help, but I did manage to get back to a workable system in this instance. :-)
              Brenda

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 23, 2010
                I use FTM V16 too. I downloaded the patch and it works fine. I hate the all over the screen mess of FTM 2008, my last upgrade that I put on and took off.
                FTM V16 lets you store 250 pages per name and I love this feature.
                I, however, don't use the FTM backup version but always export to a ged file because a ged file is accepted by any genealogy program. I have backup geds on several media since I have about 76,000 people in mine from Nash, Wilson, and Edgecombe Counties. Most are connected in some way.
                I have other ged family files that I sometimes look at, but not in a long time.
                I love being able to find what I want quickly in V16 and will use it until it can be used no more. But with its popularity, I think they will do something about a version that will be used as long as "lots" of people request it.
                Faye Hays

              • dmbohall29@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 23, 2010
                  Marcia,

                  I have 2011 Family Tree and it is working good on our Dell computer. We
                  did have trouble with 2010 until we downloaded the update for 2010.

                  Doris Bohall

                • Rae Jean
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 23, 2010
                    Margaret
                    Welcome to TMG (The Master Genealogist)!
                    I have been a very happy user since 1999 when I transferred my data from
                    UFT (Ultimate Family Tree).
                    Will enjoy reading your messages on the TMG List.

                    ~ Rae Jean
                    Visiting the Past http://home.earthlink.net/~rjfamily/