Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Temby

  • Trish Worthington Cobb
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 29, 2010
      Cheryl and Paula,

      I am e-mailing you copies of the photos. Easier than describing.

      New theory:
      My friend Jack says I should consider that they may have been
      commercial photos of models,
      that they may have been purchased at a furniture store,
      and probably are not family members.

      A possibility, but it puts a damper on the fun of the search. Still,
      the copyright may be a clue that he is correct.

      Trish

    • David A. French
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 1, 2010
        Hi All,

        Maybe some of these books would help.
        http://findingphotographers.homestead.com/files/FF-Index.htm

        Here is one that could possibly be useful even though it says the 19th
        Century and your photos are from the early 20th Century. It would probably
        be worth contacting the author.

        *United States*
        [Book] Brown, Robert O - Collector's Guide to 19th Century US
        Traveling Photographers - ISBN 1-929955-13-8. Contact the author at
        photos@...

        Also, I did a quick search and there are a couple G. M. Tembys that I could
        find on footnote.com. I think Marcia has the correct G. Temby in 1880.
        Please see attached 1880 census. The birth year matches as well as his
        sister Belle is noted in both and her ages are correct.

        One is named Gwynn M. Temby and is a traveling salesman living in Dallas,
        Texas in the 1901 Dallas City Directory.

        In the 1900 City of Houston, Harris County, Texas United States Census, he
        is noted as Guin Temby son of M. J. (or could that be W. J. Temby as in
        1880?). Guin is age 32, born about June 1868. He is noted as single. He
        is a clerk. Also in the household are a couple of his sisters one of which
        is married. There is also a Wisconsin connection noted.

        In 1906, a Gwynne M. Temby is the manager of the American Chewing Gum
        Company in St. Louis, Missouri.

        The other is a Gwynne M. Temby in Chicago who was originally from Wisconsin
        and his parents were from England (father) and New York (mother). The Gwynn
        Temby noted in Chicago obviously did quite well as he is noted as buying a
        new high grade apartment building for $35,000 in 1913 in Chicago. In the
        1914 Chicago City Directory, he is noted as a Jeweler.

        With an unusual name like Gwynne/Guin, they are either the same person or
        some relation to each other.

        I am not sure if yahoo will let me attach the images, but I will try. If it
        does not let me attach the images, please email me directly and I will be
        happy to send them.
        [Update: I tried to reply last night, but I guess it does not allow
        attachments.]

        Hope this helps.

        All the Best,

        David