[genpcfr] Re: Pitt County Cemeteries

  • Martha Marble
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 7, 1998
      Think there is a list, but I don't have it and not sure who compiled it.
      There is a copy at DAR which I use. Maybe someone else has that
      information. Rather doubt it still for sale.

      Martha

      At 08:29 PM 11/7/98 EST, you wrote:
      >Query:
      >
      > I am searching for a list(s) of cemeteries in Pitt County. Does anyone
      >know of such a list or lists.
      >
      >Jerry
      >NextCard Internet VISA -- 2.9% intro APR
      >Earn free airline tickets WITH DOUBLE Rew@rds points.
      >http://ads.egroups.com/click/60/0/nextcard
      >

      >Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

    • Robert Kirk
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 7, 1998
        I have 6 books on Cemeteries of Pitt Co. What name or Places are you
        looking for.
        > I am searching for a list(s) of cemeteries in Pitt County. Does
        anyone
        >know of such a list or lists.
        >
        >Jerry
        >NextCard Internet VISA -- 2.9% intro APR
        >Earn free airline tickets WITH DOUBLE Rew@rds points.
        >http://ads.egroups.com/click/60/0/nextcard
        >

        >Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

      • Gloria S. Taylor
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 7, 1998
          Robert,
          Do your books give directions to the cemeteries? I am looking for a Jackson
          Cemetry in Jacksontown. Looking for Bryant Tripp and Abrigail Tripp.
          Thanks Gloria

        • JBarton851@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 7, 1998
            The primary name that I am searching for in the Pitt County Cemetery books is
            Tyson, or Tison. Any help would be appreciated.

            Jerry
          • Brenda Stocks
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 8, 1998
              Hi Gloria

              There is a Bryant Tripp, May 5,1836-July2, 1922 and his wife, Abigail
              Tripp, Jan.13,1839-Feb. 19,1926 buried in the Ayden Cemetery. Is this the
              one you're looking for?

              BrendaDavis Stocks

              ----------

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 8, 1998
                At 08:29 PM 11/7/98 EST, you wrote:
                >Query:
                >
                > I am searching for a list(s) of cemeteries in Pitt County. Does anyone
                >know of such a list or lists.
                >
                >Jerry

                Welcome Jerry... so glad to have you aboard!!
                Bill Kitrell, PCFR Vice President, is compiling a book on cemeteries and
                has done a mountain of research. As yet, he is not online but his snail
                mail is:
                2200 Blackjack Simpson Rd
                Greenville, N.C. 27858-9327
                Telephone: 252-758-2979

                I just talked with him, gave him your surnames and he will be glad to
                assist you, and anyone else out there!
                also
                Jeannette Cox St.Amand published several Volumes on Pitt County Gravestone
                Records... they can be found in quite a few librarys.
                Good researching to you...

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 8, 1998
                  Gloria, (and everyone :) Welcome, again, to our list. My mother was a
                  JACKSON and the JACKSON Cememtery at Jacksontown is our family one. It is
                  located on Jacksontown Road off Hyw 11, on SR 1110. I, personally,
                  documented each gravesite in 1994. There are quite a few unmarked graves,
                  where wooden slabs had been & deteriorated..... also, an area about the
                  size of half a city block where all markers were gone.
                  I've just looked thru my list and your names are not included. Perhaps in
                  the Joyner Library they may have an earlier listing... I plan to persue
                  that course.
                  I'll be happy to send you a copy of what I have if you so desire.
                  Jewelle

                  At 10:23 PM 11/7/98 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Robert,
                  >Do your books give directions to the cemeteries? I am looking for a Jackson
                  >Cemetry in Jacksontown. Looking for Bryant Tripp and Abrigail Tripp.
                  >Thanks Gloria
                  >

                  >At 09:00 PM 11/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
                  >>I have 6 books on Cemeteries of Pitt Co. What name or Places are you
                  >>looking for.
                  <snip>

                • dc09182000@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 27, 2001
                    I really appreciate the time and effort that went in to gathering the
                    information and getting in on the web site.

                    Old headstones can be very difficult to read, so I am not sure if
                    these are typos, my file is wrong, or the dates are too difficult to
                    read. Can these be checked against Annette's file? I want to make
                    sure my file is correct. Thanks.

                    the 5th cemetery in the list (Heading North on Hwy 11....):

                    Tom H, son of JT & MM Whitehurst. The list has August 13, 1914 and I
                    have August 3, 1914.

                    Paulina, wife of RA Davenport. The list has September 13, 1925 and I
                    have September 18, 1925.

                    Mary M, wife of JT Whitehurst. The list has May 11, 1932 and I have
                    November 11, 1932.

                    Russell, son of JL & Rebecca Whitehurst. The list has February 1907
                    and I have February 1901.

                    Diane Collins Whitehurst
                    dc09182000@...

                    Surnames: *Whitehurst *Andrews *Davenport *Whitman *Smith
                    *Roebuck
                  • Elizabeth Roebuck
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 28, 2001
                      Dianne, I will be glad to recheck these dates. You are right about being
                      able to read them. You are right some are very difficult to read and that
                      why I put in that statement. Tombstones are like census records, you just
                      have to take what you see and and with family records, if there are any, and
                      go with the source you have the most confidence in. My gggreat
                      grandmother's surname was Vaughn and on the tomb, it read Baughn. I see
                      you have Roebuck as a surname, maybe we tie in.
                      Annette

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 28, 2001
                        I hope that those who love to "do" cemeteries will get themselves a cheap
                        digital camera and photograph the headstones and then file them on CDs.  You
                        can then make copies of the CDs and make them available to others.  I
                        hesitate to bring up the idea of using shaving cream on the face of the
                        headstone before photographing.  If we were to do this, along with a photo of
                        the name and vital stats of the person who made the inventory, in pretty
                        quick time we would have many headstones fully documented without the issure
                        of typos.  While I have photos of three family cemeteries, I will probably go
                        back and take digital pics of them.  There is nothing is nothing like a photo
                        to reassure oneself that the info is correct.  If anyone is getting ready to
                        "resurrect" an old, weeded over cemetery, I have some info on how to do that
                        (tools, etc.) and how to photograph them.

                        John B. Grimes
                        jgrimes227@...
                        Fairfax Station, VA 22039-2729

                      • James Shivers
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 28, 2001
                          I remember distinctly a message in the cemetery list saying that use of
                          shaving cream on tombstones although it will bring out the lettering will
                          also lead to further deterioration of the headstone so i would offer the
                          advice to seek a professionals opinion about the cleaning and restoration of
                          any tombstones that require cleaning prior to photographing them.

                          James Shivers
                          spare-time cemetery nut

                          ***** Wanna stop the kids from requesting unneeded pee breaks on those long
                          trips ? *****
                          Mention if we stop we are going to document a local overgrown cemetery while
                          they are relieving themselves at the local burger king and after they are
                          done they can help.
                        • feonadorf@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 28, 2001
                            James,

                            My boys love to go to the Cemetery with me, but am sorry to say I've found
                            fake flowers in their pockets when we've arrived home. Now that Patrick my 6
                            year old can read, he always finds what I am looking for before I do. I guess
                            his height helps out.

                            Lisa
                          • Elizabeth Roebuck
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 29, 2001
                              I used only water and a brush and I had no problem removing the moss, dirt,
                              and grime from the tombstone. Just take a little longer
                              Annette

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 29, 2001
                                also I checked my work as someone tho't there were typing errors in the list
                                I just submitted and there are no typos. Just like with census you can only
                                record what is carved in. My ggg grandmother's name was Vaughn and on the
                                Tomb it reads Baughn. I can understand the sounds of V and B sounding
                                alike.
                                Annette

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 29, 2001
                                  This is in response to Annette but may be of interest to others:

                                  I was certainly not criticizing your work at all.  To find and document the
                                  old cemeteries takes as many hands and interested folks as possible and
                                  everyone who will go into overgrown cemeteries is needed.  It is just that
                                  often there are conflicting data from one list to another, and I have found
                                  myself doubting what I have just recorded and checked after I get home.
                                  Photographing the headstones makes for a wonderful data base that can then be
                                  checked and re-checked.  There are now digital cameras in the $200 dollar
                                  range (and the price is dropping rapidly).  They don't use film and the
                                  "pictures," being digital, can be loaded into your computer and "sent" to
                                  others who, if you don't have a CD burner, can then make copies onto CDs.
                                  The "pictures" can be printed in black and white or color on most modern
                                  bubble jet or laser printers.  It's just a thought, like using a
                                  Geo-Positioning Satellite (GPS) Receiver to note the exact location of a
                                  remote cemetery so that ephemeral houses, stores, cross roads or what have
                                  you do not have to be relied upon.  Some of this technology is beyond some
                                  folks desires or resources.  For others, they just may not have been
                                  introduced to the idea and would jump at the chance to improve their
                                  accuracy, portability, and longevity of the fruits of their labor.

                                • sonskimp@webtv.net
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 29, 2001
                                    Too dim to read
                                  • JGrimes227@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 29, 2001
                                      Use shaving cream and a flash

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 30, 2001
                                        I use water only and a brush. And I will continue to "do" it the old
                                        fashion way.