Falkland Hwy photo folder -- finally completed titles and descriptions

  • rh_forbes
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2010
      Just to let y'all know that I've completed, for the time being, the
      60-photo project on Hwy 43 NW of Greenville (Falkland Hwy) that I
      started a few weeks ago when I feared I might lose some of my files
      because my computer started acting up.

      The photo arranging along with captions and descriptions took longer
      than I thought it would, mostly because space constraints required that
      I choose my words carefully, which certainly was a good thing. I found
      it interesting while composing the descriptions that the photos I felt
      closest to took me the longest to describe in an appropriate manner.

      I'm satisfied enough with it for now that I will put it down for awhile.
      For what it's worth, the material will form the basis for a slide show &
      talk that I'm to give to prospective residents of SpringShire Retirement
      Community (which will be located next to my family farm) whenever I'm
      able to work out a schedule with their marketing director.

      Several on this email list asked if these photos might be posted
      elsewhere, because they didn't have access to the photos on the
      genpcncfir yahoo! site, etc. I have no plans to post them elsewhere at
      this time. It's easy enough to gain access to the site by going to the
      link and signing up with minimal info like your name/ID, email address
      and a password. And it's worth it, not just for access my photos (I'm
      not that smug), but also to a number of other photos and files posted
      there. I've pasted below the direct link to the Falkland Hwy album.:

      t>

      My guess is that if you click on it and you're not a member of the
      genpcncfir site, then you will receive the prompts required to sign up.
      And if you follow those instructions, will gain access quite soon!

      Finally, I will always appreciate feedback on my photos and
      descriptions, especially from folks who share some life experience from
      that area, and even from those who may question or correct me on
      something I said:-), for that's how we learn!

      Cheers,

      Bob Forbes

      bforbes@... <mailto:bforbes@...>

    • Marcia McLawhorn
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2010
        Bob, Thank you for sharing your data.

        A point that Bob has brought up [his computer acting up and his fear of losing valuable data] could be a wake-up call for all of us. Frequently a hard drive dies without warning.

        As flash drives and external hard drives have become very reasonably priced, it's an inexpensive kind of insurance. Suggestion: 1) acquire one or two external drives; 2) backup your important files; and 3) store at least one of your backups outside of your home
        [at work or at a friend's home].

        As my son has reminded me - backing up my files and then deleting the originals, results in my data still not being backed up.
        Marcia

      • JGrimes227@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2010
          I came very close to losing it all, some 7,000 records when my hard drive choked and the idiots at Computer Geeks, without authorization, reformatted the hard drive. Cost me about $1500 to get most of it recovered. Also I I had sent copies of my file to all my close genealogy friends over the years, and getting copies back from them was a godsend.

          By all means have a back up regimen. Small hard drives are relatively inexpensive and there are inexpensive sites that offer back up services to their commercial back up computers.