marriage records

  • tysown22
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2010
      I was looking through a listing of marriage records for free people of color in Pitt and found an ancestor with a different surname. It lists her as "Brittaina Summerell" married to John Wooten in 1862. I am not surprised by this, just curious. I have her with the maiden name Johnson/Johnston. I found a cyber cousin with a Sam Sumrell that was at times Sam Johnson/Johnston. I am unfamiliar with the Summerells (white, black, or other) and am looking for research ideas to connect a few dots. I have been told there is supposed to be a record of a court case where the Summerells and Johnstons were suing each other over the ownership of Sam. Any help would be appreciated.