RE: [genpcncfir] New photos in Falkland Hwy album on genpcncfir Yahoogroups website

  • bforbes@carolina.rr.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2010
      Fred - Many thanks for your response. I'm excited that my Falkland Hwy
      album posting has "flushed you out," since one of my intentions in posting
      it was to elicit more comments and knowledge from folks who have a
      historical connection to the area, as you certainly do.

      I will amend the title of "Tyson House" in the album to "Tyson-Whitehurst"
      house as you requested, which I intended to do anyway and just needed
      confirmation, as I had heard from some others about the Whitehurst family
      owning that house for a long time after the Civil War. My understanding is
      that my gr-gr-grandfather Alfred Forbes (1806-1847) sold the part of his
      plantation south of Hwy 43 to the Tyson family in the 1840's (I'm still
      looking for the deed), which is why the Tyson-Whitehurst house (reportedly
      built in 1852) is shown as belonging to "Mrs. Tyson" on Gilmer's map.

      Do you know whether the Whitehurst family married into the Tyson clan or
      instead, acquired that farm from the Tysons? I know it was originally a
      pretty large farm of 600-800 acres, because the McLawhorn family later
      acquired ~200 acres fields from it, which they still farm, but ~300 acres
      of pine woods behind it (part of the Glass House Pocosin) are still owned
      by a Whitehurst family member.

      As to our Christman connections, my gr-grandmother and your gr-gr-aunt
      Anastasia Christman Forbes was buried in the A.A. Forbes cemetery, and my
      cousin Alf Forbes relocated all those graves to Greenville's Greenwood
      Cemetery in the 1950's, where they remain. Her sister, Indianna Christman
      Evans, is buried in the Evans-Forbes cemetery across the hwy from
      Whitehurst house, as is a man named Tom Watson, who could have been the
      husband of your gr-gr-grandmother Elisiff Christman Watson. Your
      gr-gr-mother's remains may also be there in an unmarked grave, as we know a
      number of unmarked graves are in that plot. Do you have an ancestral
      family tree you could share? I will certainly share mine from that branch,
      and we can both fill in some blanks.

      I would also appreciate any further knowledge or especially any historical
      photos you may have of the Falkland Hwy area.

      Sincerely,

      Bob Forbes
      bforbes@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2010
        My ancestor Mary Lula Tyson Baker Beddard was the third wife of Henry C.
        Beddard of Pitt County. Does anyone have a picture of Henry Beddard? As
        far as we know, all pictures of Mary L. T. B. Beddard were consumed in a
        fire if there were ever any of her. I keep hoping someone took a picture of
        Henry Beddard and Mary together.

        Paula Baker

      • Fred Stokes
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20, 2010
          Bob,

          You may want to include the following information with the picture of the Vines plantation located on Hyw. 258 between Conetoe & Tarboro:

          The plantation is named Coolmore. It is one of the finest examples of Italianate (not Victorian) architecture in North Carolina. The architect was E. G. Lind of Baltimore, MD.

          The following link has complete details of this family and house: www.presnc.org/About-Us/Coolmore-Plantation-Tarboro

          Thanks,
          Fred Stokes

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 20, 2010
            Fred -- The Vines home near intersection of Hwy 43 and Hwy 258 east of Pinetops, is not the same as the Coolmore plantation house, which is near old Hwy 64 about 3 mi. west of Tarboro's town center. The two houses may have been built about the same time with similar (Italianate) architecture, although I did not get close enough to the Vines place (a private home) to tell. I believe Coolmore may be open to the public (perhaps by appt.), but as far as I know, the Vines place is not.

            Thanks for your interest.

            Bob Forbes

            --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stokes <acstokes@...> wrote:

            > Bob,
            >
            > You may want to include the following information with the picture of the Vines plantation located on Hyw. 258 between Conetoe & Tarboro:
            >
            > The plantation is named Coolmore. It is one of the finest examples of Italianate (not Victorian) architecture in North Carolina. The architect was E. G. Lind of Baltimore, MD.
            >
            > The following link has complete details of this family and house: www.presnc.org/About-Us/Coolmore-Plantation-Tarboro
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Fred Stokes

          • familyhistory124
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2012
              I have no photos, but am ancestor of Henry. Can you send me dates of Mary Lula Tyson? Thanks!