Creeks

  • Martha-Gay Morton
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
      Looking for Deep Creek.
      Think it may have been the 1st name for either Kitten Creek or Otter Creek.
      Named in Grants to Edward Williams 1737, John Williams 1762 and susequent deeds
      in that area.
      Any clues?
      Thanks,
      Martha-Gay

    • mlsmith67
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
        Martha-Gay, the USGS geographic names site lists Autrey Creek and Orders Creek as alternate names for Otter Creek, and lists none for Kitten Creek. Deep Creek doesn't appear at all.

        This is a great site for looking up geographic names, both old and new, and the URL is

        http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=139:1:1700846030879243

        You'll need to register, but it's free (well, not really free, since it's paid for by our tax dollars!)

        Margaret

        --- <marthagay.morton@...> wrote:

        > Looking for Deep Creek.
        > Think it may have been the 1st name for either Kitten Creek or Otter Creek.
      • cheryl rhoden
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
          I just tried googling (is that a word yet?) Deep Creek, N.C. and it appears to
          be near Bryson. Hope that helps. Cheryl o7o

        • jcbunc@att.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
            Hi - The North Carolina Gazetteer lists 21 "Deep Creeks" in NC in various parts of the state - none in the vicinity of Pitt County. However it states the Kitten Creek "rises in W Pitt County and flows NE into Otter Creek". There are 5 listings for Otter Creek in various parts of the state. The one in Pitt states "Otter Creek rises in E Wilson County and flows E across S Edgecombe into W Pitt County where it enters Tar River".

            Does rhis help?

            Julian Byrd