FLORIDA SITE

  • Charity Ackerman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2010
      My hometown newspaper had an article last week. The University of Florida (GO GATORS!) is in the process of digitizing newspapers from Florida. The article states that you can find copies of an old Jefferson County newspaper called THE FAMILY FRIEND on the UF site. Newspapers available date back to 1859 and end in 1861. The link given by the newspaper is www.ecbpublishing.com
      Then choose Archives and then in the upper right hand corner is the University of Florida site. I know that many families moved to northern Florida from Pitt, Lenoir and other NC counties.
      Charity Ackerman
      Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
      still searching for BYRD, NELSON, WORTHINGTON,MCGLOHON(ALL SPELLINGS) CANNON, TYNDALL, HARDISON  for starters.

    • Kate
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2010
        I noticed that you are researching HARDISON. I am interested in that name because around 1879 a Warren Malpass was involved in the murder of a man named John Holland near the Lenoir/Duplin County line. Warren Malpass and his brothers fled to South Carolina and by the 1880 census Warren was using the name Harmon Hardison. Eventually two of the brothers, Warren and James, went back to using the name Malpass, but the last brother, Tom, continued to use the name Hardison as did his children. Tom settled in Bennetsville, SC.

        I am wondering if any of this sounds familar to you or if you ever heard of any connection between the Hardisons and the Malpass family? Warren's wife was named Rachel Taylor and one of the other brothers married a Thigpen. Perhaps there was a connection through one of the wives.

        Thank you, Kristi (Malpass) Mccauley

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 22, 2010
          Dear Kristi,
          Unfortunately, I  never heard that story. Sorry,
          Charity

[...]

          RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:                        http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

          Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical Resources:   http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir%c2%a0