RE: [genpcncfir] Re: Family History Society of Eastern North Carolina

  • .Jim .Miller de Juzan Rochon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2010
      My Contentnea (spelling?) Creek area of Pitt County, N.C., Wooten/Murphy-Murphey family lived at Wm. Spencer Murphy's farm (brother of Wm. Blount Murphy) near the Craven County line on the Vanceboro Road. I believe Shade (Shadrack) Wooten's home still stands (moved 600 yards on greased poles by slaves) owned by the Taylor family. Shade's son, Epis. Rev. Edward Wooten, Sgt. & Lt., CSA, forst wed Julia Taylor. I descend his second wife, Mrs. Eliza Yonge Jewett Wooten/Wootten of Wilmington. This is the area once called Jonhson's Mills (Shadrack Johnson's?). Shade's wife, Mrs. Mary Elizabeth "Eliza" Murphy Wooten is the the UDC book of N.C. Confederate Women as having five sons in service. The Cannon family also intermarried with the Wootens.

      Wm. Spencer Murphy was a witness on the will of John Gray Blount who lived at adjoing, or nearby "Blount Hall", where they were frequent dinner guests. I remember seeing a late 1700's or early 1800's letter that showed the dinner seating arrangement at Blount Hall, and the letter reported that the (Mr./Mrs.) Blounts fell to arguing again.

      Despite the name Wm. Blount Murphy, I know of no Blount/Murphy blood connection. Spencer's and Blount's father was Patriot Capt. Wm. Murphy who shared a Dobbs County militian company with his brother Capt. Michael Murphy. Their mother was Sussannah Roach, daughter of Patriot Capt. David Roach, Sr., brother of Capt. Charles Roach, Sr., of Craven Co. Willian's and Michael's father was Patriot Capt. John Murphy, Sr., of "Bear Garden" plantation, Dobbs County. The door keeper to the New Bern constitutional convention did not show, and John Sr. was appointed to the office of Door Keeper. He was later killed in a "chariot" (wagon) accident.

      Jim Miller, Southport, N.C.

      ‚ąěfocusoninfinity

      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
      CC: davidafrench@...
      From: jewellebaker@...
      Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:16:44 -0400
      Subject: [genpcncfir] Re: Family History Society of Eastern North Carolina

      Hello Group.....

      I've been asked to post the below for your information:

      The following post applies to all of the counties of Eastern North Carolina so please allow it to be posted as it directly relates to the family histories of the area. It will be posted over the next few days to all the counties that are approximately east of I-95 as there are many inter-connections between the families of the region.

      Thank you and Best Regards, David French

      P. S. Also, the ancestry.com message board system administrators should seriously consider allowing PDF files to be attached as they are a widely accepted and standard file format.

      Hi All,

      To the Families of New Bern, Craven County and ENC group .....

      The August Event which will be held on Friday, August 20th and Saturday, August 21st. We will also be talking about the Heritage Park and Monument project. In addition, we will be discussing the "Old Photo Party" to be held on Saturday, July 24th from 12 pm to 5pm at the Convention Center. Please see the attached poster and flyer.

      As there are many family connections that do not stop at the county line, we have adopted a name that more accurately describes our purposes. The Families of New Bern, Craven County and Eastern North Carolina will function under the newly formed, Family History Society of Eastern North Carolina. We now have an informational website with the detail info for the events. Please see www.encfamilies.org . You may also reach us at 252.349.0405.

      Tickets for the August Reunion Luncheon and Program are now available at these locations:

      Beaufort County: . Purser's Chest Interior Designs, 221 West Main Street, Washington

      Craven County: . New Bern Riverfront Convention Center . Salon 901, Hwy 17/901 D Street, Bridgeton; . New Bern Marriott Spring Hill Suites, 300 Hotel Drive behind Golden Corral

      Lenoir County: . Harmony Hall, 109 East King Street, Kinston

      Onslow County: . Onslow County Museum, 301 S. Wilmington Street, Richlands

      Luncheon tickets may also be order via regular mail. Please see website for order form.

      Everyone who has an interest in local, area or family history is welcome and encouraged to attend the planning meetings and the events. Please let your family and friends know of the events and website so that they may also participate.

      We look forward to meeting you as we gather this August to honor, remember and celebrate all of the people of the area from the early times to the present.

      All the Best,

      David

      davidafrench@...

      or