Re: [genpcncfir] ELDERS

  • cheryl rhoden
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 19, 2010
      Bill,   I have to say that name John Moore did jump out at me. Do you have any
      idea where the location of this church was? best, cheryl o7o

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19, 2010
        According to statement in the book:
        Note that this was written in 1946 for the 190th celebration.

        This first building of the Toisnot Church was made
        of mortised and pegged timbers and measured 28 x 16 feet.

        It was situated on the Tarboro Highway 3.5 miles from the
        present Wilson County Court House, and .2 mile to the right
        of the present highway. One of the original oaks is still
        standing in the ruins of the old graveyard, which is situated
        on the farm of Deacon Drake Thomas and adjoining that of
        George W. Thomas.

        Elder Thomas gave his son Jonathan Thomas (1759) 200 acres
        excluding one acre for meeting house. Recorded in Edcombe
        County records.

        It does make a statement that in 1800 when the building became
        too small it was decided to move it to the crossroads, which
        around the town of Wilson was built.

        Wilson county is bordered by Toisnot Creek on the north and
        Contentnea Creek on the south.

        After saying all of that I still have not pinpointed where it was
        located. Deed is recorded in Edgecombe County.