Byrd

  • Charles Baldree
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 17, 2010
      Charity

      Does you Byrd line include an Alfred Byrd, born approximately 1800? He married Elizabeth Moore. Had several children including a daughter by the name of Delitha.

      Charles Baldree

      Does your Byrd line include an Alfred Byrd
      From: Richie McLawhorn <rmclawhorn1@...>
      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 9:17 PM

      From my research she was born on 7/7/1904 and died on 1/13/71. If thats about the right time I'd definitely like to see the picture if you have it in electronic form.

      From: Richie McLawhorn <rmclawhorn1@...>

      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 1:12 PM

      Thanks so much! This information has been extremely helpful. Do you know anything about an Amos Weatherington who married Mary Francis Owens? My great-grand father was once married to a Narcissie or Narcissus Weatherington who was the daughter of Amos T. Weatherington who was the son of Amos Weatherington. Then the trail goes cold for me. Don't go out of your way or anything to dig it up- you've already done so much to help me- but if you've run across it in your research that'd be a great aid to me. Thanks so much again.

      Richard McLawhorn

      Date: Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 11:46 AM

      Richie,

      I research Worthington (Witherington, Widdrington), paternal line,

      also Cannon, maternal line.

      I have this as Lois Worthington's line (lots of Roberts):

      1. Possibly Samuel? WIDDRINGTON [WITHERINGTON]. Born ca 1640, England.

      2. Robert WIDDRINGTON [WITHERINGTON]. Born ca 1667, Northumberland,

      England; died 1722, Christ's Church Parish, Calvert County, Maryland;

      married Elizabeth CLEVERLY.

      Elizabeth CLEVERLY. Born 1660-1678; died Calvert County, MD, bef Aug

      1722.

      3. Solomon WITHERINGTON. Born abt 1703. Will was proved in 1766 in

      Craven County, NC;

      married Amy [Ann] __________. last name unknown

      4. Robert [Robard] WITHERINGTON. Born ca 1746, Craven County, NC; died

      1819/1820, Lenoir Co., NC. Note: county lines changed.

      married Ann?/Sarah? last name unknown

      5. Robert WITHERINGTON Jr. Born aft 1775; died abt 1817.

      Married 29 Dec 1797 Lois HARDISON, Craven County.

      Lois HARDISON, born ca 1780 in Onslow Co., NC. Lois died on 7 Mar 1849.

      Dau. of Charles HARDISON. Born ca 1765, Onslow Co., NC; died 1807,

      Craven County, NC.

      6. Robert “Rowdy” WORTHINGTON III. Born 5 Dec 1808; died in Jul 1898.

      On 9 Jan 1829 married Mary "Polly" CANNON,

      Mary "Polly" CANNON, born 10 Dec 1808; died 23 Oct 1880.

      daughter of Caleb Cannon I and wife Celia Frizzle.

      • The following information is from research compiled by Leah McGlohon

      in her book, Some McGlohons, McLawhorns and Worthingtons of Pitt

      County, North Carolina, September 1983:

      1. DB P, p. 393 - On July 2, 1803, Robert Whetherington bought 135

      acres during Mary Moye's life for $30 from Charles Tripp. The witness

      was Robert Whetherington.

      2. DB P, p. 444 - On Nov 8, 1803, Robert Whetherington of Craven

      County sold Robert Whetherington, Jr. 100 acres for $100 adjoining

      Paul Herrington. Sherwood Hines, Hardee Handcock, and John Kitrell

      were witnesses.

      3. DB Q, p. 42 - On Mar. 9, 1805, Robert Weatherington of Lenoir

      County gave to his son Robert Weatherington, Jr. 154 acres for love

      and affection. The witnesses were Abner Wetherington and Ambrose

      Wetherington (brothers of Robert Weatherington, Jr.).

      4. DB Q, p. 333 - On Dec. 22, 1806, Robert Witherington bought 107

      acres adjoining Himerick Braxton and his son, Thomas Braxton, Jr., for

      150 pounds from Theophilus Sutton. Arthur Tripp and Job Surman were

      witnesses.

      5. DB S, p. 328 - On Jan. 24, 1812, Robert Witherington, Jr. bought an

      unspecified number of acres for $300 from John Jackson. Shadrach

      Jackson witnessed the transaction.

      6. DB S, p. 278, On Jan. 24, 1812, Robert Witherington sold 100 acres

      adjoining Paul Herinton to John Jackson for $375. The witnesses were

      Wm. Broome and Shadrach Jackson.

      7. DB V, p. 77 - On Mar. 7, 1814, Robt. Weatherington bought a negro

      for $295 from Shade A. Cannon. John Rogers and Chas. Jenkins were

      witnesses.

      8. DB T, p. 217 - On Nov. 10, 1815, Robert Witherington bought 17

      acres from Reading Shipp. John Quinerly and Benja. Abbot were

      witnesses.

      (Researcher's note: Robert Witherington, Jr.'s sister Casandra married

      Thomas Abbott.)

      9. DB AA, p. 109 - On Feb. 28, 1817, Lowis (Lois) Withrington, widow,

      received a dower on 126 acres adjoining Ambrose Withrington.

      10. DB CC, p. 62 - On Jan. 4, 1822, the land of Robert Weatherington,

      dec., was divided as follows: 40 acres to Richard, 76 acres to

      William, 50 acres to Argent, 40 acres to Sarey, 30 acres to Robert, 82

      acres to Nancy, and 67 acres to Noah.

      • 1815 Tax Lists, Pitt County, NC, p.12:

      WITHRINGTON, ROBERT - one tract of land joining THOMAS GRIFFITH &

      others 154/2/308/1/1/-/-

      - one tract of land joining JOAB HERRINGTON & others

      - one tract of land joining WILLIAM PUGH & others

      Robert Worthington bible record:

      > From: E Ross <elizross@...>

      > Date: Fri Apr 8, 2005 11:10:04 AM US/Eastern

      > To: turniproots@...

      > Subject: Worthington Bible

      > Trish,

      > I've made a very quick search of the back issues and can't find it.

      > There's a chance we've overlooked publishing it, or maybe Leah

      > didn't give Roger permission to do so. I'll ask Roger--it ought to

      > be published if it hasn't!!

      > Meanwhile, just between you and me (please don't post it until I can

      > clear up the question), here's my typed copy:

      > The Robert Worthington Bible: Contributed by Leah McGlohon of

      > Greenville, NC. The Worthington family lived in Pitt Co., N. C.

      > The Bible was published in Philadelphia, 1848, by Edward W. Miller.

      > Robert Worthington Son of Robert & Lois was born Dec. 5th 1808

      > Mary Worthington wife of Robert was born Dec. 10th 1808

      > Robert Worthington and Mary was married January 9th 1829

      > Sarah Worthington daughter of Robert & Mary was born Oct 15th 1829

      > Lois Worthington daughter of Robert & Mary was born May 21st 1831

      > Celia Worthington daughter of Robert & Mary was born Oct 1st 1833

      > William Worthington Son of Robert & Mary was born December 18th 1835

      > Caleb Worthington Son of Robert & Mary was born May 4th 1838

      > Mary Worthington daughter of Robert & Mary was born Sept 10th 1840

      > Elizabeth Worthington daughter of Robert & Mary was born Dec 20th 1843

      > Robert Worthington Son of Robert & Mary was born June 12th 1846

      > Nancy Jane Worthington daughter of Robert & Mary was born March 14th

      > 1849

      > Richard Worthington Son of Caleb and Charity was born November 12th

      > 1866

      > Lois Worthington Decest March 7th 1849

      > Sarah Kittrel Decest July 18th 1848

      > Caleb Nelson Decest August 25th 1850

      > Richard Worthington Decest January 5th 1856

      > Mary Worthington Decest Oct 23rd 1880 Aged 71 years 10 months 13 days

      > --Betsy Ross

      • Robert Worthington III inherited land from his father, Robert

      Witherington, Jr. according to his will:

      — DB CC, p. 62 - On Jan. 4, 1822, the land of Robert Weatherington,

      dec., was divided as follows: 40 acres to Richard, 76 acres to

      William, 50 acres to Argent, 40 acres to Sarey, 30 acres to Robert, 82

      acres to Nancy, and 67 acres to Noah.

      Source: McGlohon, Leah, Some McGlohons, McLawhorns and Worthingtons of

      Pitt County, North Carolina, September 1983.

      • Obituary Notice, Eastern Reflector:

      Death of Robert Worthington, 90 E.R. 22 July 1898

      • The 1850 Census for Pitt County, North Carolina lists:

      0729-0732, Haddock's District, 1 Oct. 1850

      Wetherington, Rob’t. - age 41, male, farmer /500

      Mary (Cannon)- age 41, female

      Louise - age 19, female

      Celia - age 16, female, in sch.

      Wm. - age 14, male, in sch.

      Caleb - age 11, male, in sch.

      Mary - age 9, female, in sch.

      Eliz’b. - age 6, female, in sch.

      Rob’t. - age 4, male

      Nancy J. - age 1, female

      • 1860 Pitt Co., p. 152, Coxville, Dwelling #1243, Family # 1218

      Robert Worthington 57 Farmer 4000 1000

      Mary 57

      Celia 26 Weaver

      Elizabeth 16

      Caleph? 22 Farm hand

      Mary 19

      Robert 13

      MC (F) 11

      The lived next to Thomas Cannon.

      • 1870 Pitt Co., NC, Contentnea Township, 9 Aug 1870, p. 12, Family #94:

      Wethington, Robt 62 Farmer

      Mary 61 Keeping House

      Ceily 36 At Home

      Elizabeth 26 "

      Cannon, Elias 15 Farm Hand

      Joseph 10 "

      Another tidbit:

      > From: E Ross <elizross@...>

      > Date: Wed Apr 6, 2005 7:40:00 AM US/Eastern

      > To: NC-PCFR-L@...

      > Subject: Re: [NC-PCFR] ALLEN KITTRELL

      > Here's another tidbit that Roger found, concerning Mary Cannon

      > Worthington:

      > "Inquest date: Oct. 24, 1880, held at Robert Wortington's house; Mary

      > Worthington drowned herself in marl hole; was insane; mother of Caleb

      > Worthington. [Pitt Co. Coroner’s Reports, NC Archives; abstracted by

      > Roger

      > Kammerer]. The Kinston Journal reported her suicide on Nov. 4, 1880."

      > Yet another suicide in Pitt County!

      > Betsy

      Trish Worthington Cobb

      turniproots@...

      On Jul 14, 2010, at 1:39 AM, Richie wrote:

      > I've been working on my genealogy a little more and am trying to

      > track back the family of Benjamin Franklin McGlawhorn's (the one

      > born in 1821) wife, Lois Jane Worthington. From what I've found so

      > far, she was born on May 21, 1821 and died on May 8, 1922 and her

      > parents were Robert Worthington and Mary Cannon. However, I'm not

      > sure what Robert Worthington is her father. One source seemed to

      > indicate that Solomon Worthington had a son Robert, but that date

      > placed the Robert being born in 1841, which clearly wouldn't work.

      > Any help would be much appreciated!

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Barb Lantto
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 17, 2010
        May I butt in , please?

        My great grandparents were William B Gordon and Rebecca B .Both B's  stand for BYRD. my father was Alfred Lee Gordon.My grandfather was ROBERT LEE GORDON born at Gordonsville , 1887.

        BARB aka Earthfeather

> [...]

          > Roger

          > Kammerer]. The Kinston Journal reported her suicide on Nov. 4, 1880."

          > Yet another suicide in Pitt County!

          > Betsy

          Trish Worthington Cobb

          turniproots@...

          On Jul 14, 2010, at 1:39 AM, Richie wrote:

          > I've been working on my genealogy a little more and am trying to

          > track back the family of Benjamin Franklin McGlawhorn's (the one

          > born in 1821) wife, Lois Jane Worthington. From what I've found so

          > far, she was born on May 21, 1821 and died on May 8, 1922 and her

          > parents were Robert Worthington and Mary Cannon. However, I'm not

          > sure what Robert Worthington is her father. One source seemed to

          > indicate that Solomon Worthington had a son Robert, but that date

          > placed the Robert being born in 1841, which clearly wouldn't work.

          RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:                        http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

          Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical Resources:   http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:                        http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

          Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical Resources:   http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:                        http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

          Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical Resources:   http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir%c2%a0
          Yahoo! Groups Links

        RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:                        http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

        Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical Resources:   http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir%c2%a0
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • cheryl rhoden
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 17, 2010
          Barb,, So great to see you here. I was thinking about sending you some of these
          Byrd messages. And, there you are. I really don't think you are butting in at
          all. This is a great supportive group of folks that help one another with
          research. all best, cheryl o7o

          Researching:   Rhoden, Moore, Johns, Weeks, Mayfield, Raulerson, and many
          others.

          ________________________________

          the right time I'd definitely like to see the picture if you have it in
          electronic form.

> [...]

            > Roger

            > Kammerer]. The Kinston Journal reported her suicide on Nov. 4, 1880."

            > Yet another suicide in Pitt County!

            > Betsy

            Trish Worthington Cobb

            turniproots@...

            On Jul 14, 2010, at 1:39 AM, Richie wrote:

            > I've been working on my genealogy a little more and am trying to

            > track back the family of Benjamin Franklin McGlawhorn's (the one

            > born in 1821) wife, Lois Jane Worthington. From what I've found so

            > far, she was born on May 21, 1821 and died on May 8, 1922 and her

            > parents were Robert Worthington and Mary Cannon. However, I'm not

            > sure what Robert Worthington is her father. One source seemed to

            > indicate that Solomon Worthington had a son Robert, but that date

            > placed the Robert being born in 1841, which clearly wouldn't work.

            ------------------------------------

            Pitt County Historical Society:

          information:

            Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical
          Resources:   http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

          you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern
          and Coastal North Carolina counties.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            ------------------------------------

            Pitt County Historical Society:

          information:

            Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical
          Resources:   http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

          you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern
          and Coastal North Carolina counties.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical
          Resources:   http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

          you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern
          and Coastal North Carolina counties.
            GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In Research
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir%c2%a0
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical
          Resources:   http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

          http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/

          We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group if you
          are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern and
          Coastal North Carolina counties.
          GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In Research
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir%c2%a0
          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Charity Ackerman
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 17, 2010
            I really do not know. I can only go back to Enoch Kilby Byrd born approx 1823 married to Letty Jane Tyndall (tindall)  Children were William Harry born about 1852 (to Enoch's first wife?) Magruda,(my grandfather)1862, Lewis 1868,Senas 1870,James 1873,John 1877 and Ella Jane 1879.
            I know that my Aunt Lottie married Fred Moore but I do not have anything on that line.
            I did get a male first cousin to do the ancestry DNA for the BYRD line but as yet have not had any Byrds to show up. Do have matches but nothing close yet.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 17, 2010
              you are probably correct. But right now it seems like all I do is get up, go to work, come home do laundry, clean house etc and then crash for the night, next day the same. I need to get to the gym and also go through papers and pictures while I still remember who they are.
              Charity

              Trust me, when you retire you will be amazed at how much more you got done in
              the day while you working.

              Cheryl

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 14
                Dear researcher,

                     You may be referring to Robert Worthington, brother of Solomon I believe. He settled in Calvert County Maryland and never left there. His Worthington descendants still live there. Articles about their weddings appear at intervals in the Richmond Times-Dispatch. Additional articles appear from time to time about other family news.

                     I will be interested to know if this information gives you the lead you seek about your ancestor and mine. Whatever the outcome of your inquiry, I will be glad to check my own sources for additional information and leads.

                Carol Singh (daughter of Elbert Lee Braxton and Clyde Rae Worthington, daughter of Alfred Worthington (1870's) and Jenny Secession McGowan (1879) of Pitt County, North Carolina.

                Sincerely, Carol
              • John V Lucas Jr.
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 15
                  Hi Carol,

                  My PCRS post likely dates back several years. Therefore, I have no recall as to the context of my inquiry or statement.  Is this family connected my Laughinghouse line?  Please help me to recall my earlier post.  Note: I have a copy of the Pitt Co. Researchers Surname Book, dated 2005 and you are listed.  Are you still at: 7604 Hawthorne Ave., Richmond, VA 23227-1858 - Telephone: 804-262-3076?   I  await your response.

                  Yours Truly,

                  John Lucas
                  email: jlucasjr@...