RE: [genpcncfir] The "Help" message and other possible stuff about viruses ,,,

  • . .
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2010
      Twice I have been sent e-mails a month apart with three different sized graphics of similar images (code can be in images). The graphics hidden titles were "--static--kaleidoscope_B.gif--static", the right "sourse" , with diificalty, showd hidden code with such as "shelby_moses01", and Nigerian small pictures (not indecent) of African women. A program indicated it was malware, possibly a keylogger? People need a program that screens both their inbound, and outbound mail. An attachment may be going on their outbound they do not know of.

      ‚ąěfocusoninfinity

      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
      CC: CSinghWorthington@...
      From: csinghworthington@...
      Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 12:29:46 -0700
      Subject: Re: [genpcncfir] The "Help" message and other possible stuff about viruses ,,,

      Dear Cheryl,

      I am of your opinion. I do confess, however, to having opened the message you have mentioned because of its having been addressed to our group. Because of that, I assumed (wrongly, of course) the writer wanted help with some aspect of research related to our most recent family discussions.

      Although I have not suffered any untoward consequences as far as I know from the e-mail, it has certainly made me cautious about assuming anything.

      Like you, I do not use any of the general purpose chat sites and for the same reasons as you. Trouble will come uninvited, so why invite trouble.

      Carol

      From: cheryl rhoden <rhodenccc@...>

      To: "Pitt Gen Group" <genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 6:35 PM

      I don't know if this site has been infiltrated by viruses or not. The original "Help" message in that thread was from six or so years ago. This is what I do know. Make sure your anti-virus programs are up to date. Don't respond to the emails that say 'Help, I'm in England or somewhere else ,, and my passport was stolen ,, please send money. Don't click on the messages about "Hey, I have a deal for you about computers " or this that or the other.

      I not only receive some of these via my groups ,, which I'm mostly web only on ,, I also receive them via emails from personal friends that had no idea they had been invaded.

      And, I do not Twitter, or MySpace, or any of that stuff. These, days ,, I barely click on jokes from friends. Just too many scammer, virus creeps out there.

      best, cheryl o7o