Re: [genpcncfir] Lottie Hopkins

    Message 1 of 2 , May 22, 2010
      Dear Martha,
           What are the dates of Lottie Hopkins? My great uncle Franklin McGowan married Peggy Cherry. His brother, my great uncle Gilford McGowan, married her sister Lezina Cherry. The line goes back to William Ormand Cherry descended from William Ormand of Ireland who settled in colonial times in Maryland. He came over because of his close ties with the Carroll family, neighbors of his in Ireland, and settled near him in the new world. My guess is that he was also Catholic, like the Carrolls, because of Maryland's being a Catholic settlement.
           Despite the touting of religious freedom as a reason for settling in the New World, Catholics suffered restrictions here. A history of the Carroll family, written by a professor at the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, documents among other things the fact that Catholics could not receive a college education here or in England. Therefore, Catholic families who could afford it had to send their children either to France or Spain for schooling.
           I am interested in learning more about your Lottie.

           Sincerely, Carol